Victory Show, Cosby 2019

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Robjwilli

Re: Victory Show, Cosby 2019

Post by Robjwilli »

Great show and enjoyed the whole day. The FDD deserves credit for making things work within difficult regs/restrictions. After a difficult couple of post-Shoreham shows looks like this is back on track. :clap:

pb643

Post by pb643 »

My first visit to the Victory show on a Sunday, always Saturday previously. The flying display didn't seem to quite work for me today, much longer gaps than I recall previously, a few missing display items too, only two Bouchon. The whole event seemed a little low key this year, I am not sure if that was due to it being Sunday?
Weather good, pretty decent display lines, fantastic tour around the Catalina, give it a go, if you get the opportunity.

Last year took over an hour to get out, this year just a few minutes.

I am interested to hear what other attendees thought, compared with other years.

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

I went also today (Sunday) my first time since the 2017 fiasco with the CAA putting a stop to the flying. I was also very disappointed with the flying I know it’s secondary when it comes to this show. But there seemed to be no rhythm with large gaps, the display line was very distant as well, there were plenty of top-sides to be had regarding the warbirds but only if you had 600mm+ & I tried both ends of the dog leg display line.
The weather didn’t help either, I know it can’t be helped but seemed when anything good displayed the sun was always behind a large bank of cloud, which was frustrating because it was a beautiful day. The Catalina for me pretty much saved the day, a larger aircraft & displayed beautifully & in stunning light. Frustrating but will try again next year.
Last edited by bigcrow on Sun 08 Sep 2019, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F575

Post by F575 »

Today's flying display had a similar amount to last years show - just missing a few of the group flypasts (Buchon + US fighters etc) & Sally-B etc - and although not quite as good as last years, it was still good. Also remember that today's show had a couple of displays from aircraft not at the event like the P-47; Saturday it was already at Cosby, I'd imagine waiting on that, the Falcons, Gazelles & BBMF Hurricane added to some of the delay.
For £20 though the chance to see a load of low flying warbirds with a bunch of topsides and an extra £3 to get within inches of them, I can't argue with that. It might not have the packed schedule or star attractions like Flying Legends does, but I'm perfectly happy with this weekend - and that's only the aviation side of things, let alone all the ground based stuff.
Thought it was a cracking weekend in all honesty! :yahoo:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

I was ruing my decision not to go as I was enjoying the sun on my walk this afternoon, but having read about your frustrations Stu, I'm kinda glad I didn't in the end.

bigcrow wrote:but only if you had 600mm+

Consistent with my findings at every show I've been to post-Shoreham, Shuttleworth excluded. Airshows are in a pretty sad state IMO. :sad:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Went today. The flying we got was really good, the buchons low take off was epic and it was lovely to have some top sides by a bbmf fighter but I have to agree it was very stop start between flying elements. £20 was a fair price though so I’m fairly happy

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

There were some gaps largely due to some very expeditious Parachute drops, which took a lot less time than allocated. Unfortunately we have to plan for the worst with 20-25 mins in the programme, based on previous experience, required and requested time. Oddly the programme on paper for yesterday was much tighter than Saturday and there was a worry that it would not all have fitted in within the CAA permission times. As always there are some immovable objects in the programme with aircraft arriving from elsewhere with other commitments, meaning you can't move things forward or avoid some of the gaps. The only two aircraft not present were two of the Buchons due to serviceability issues.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Did the Harvard that was down to attend also go tech? Apart from that, congratulations to the whole team. I really enjoyed the show and the flying that was on offer, same again next year? :smile:

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

I returned on Saturday for the first time since 2015 and I loved the "new" flying display line. Although there was little variation in each aircraft's display, the flying was superb and from a photography point of view, I think this is my new favourite venue. With topsides on every pass, who needs a dog legged flightline when you can have a horseshoe instead? :biggrin:

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
bigcrow wrote:but only if you had 600mm+

Consistent with my findings at every show I've been to post-Shoreham, Shuttleworth excluded. Airshows are in a pretty sad state IMO. :sad:

Agreed... display distance seemed comparable to me with all of the better venues around the country, certainly no worse than Old Warden, Cosford, Fairford etc and certainly better than Duxford et al.

Well done to the organisers, hopefully the show will continue in this format for years to come. :clap: :clap:

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:Did the Harvard that was down to attend also go tech? Apart from that, congratulations to the whole team. I really enjoyed the show and the flying that was on offer, same again next year? :smile:

The Harvard was on the website, but unable to attend.

Given the limitations of the site there are many restrictions placed on what they can and what they cannot do. What the curved line gives in terms of topside passes, it takes away with available manouvres and dynamism in some cases.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

SilentFlight wrote:There were some gaps largely due to some very expeditious Parachute drops, which took a lot less time than allocated. Unfortunately we have to plan for the worst with 20-25 mins in the programme, based on previous experience, required and requested time. Oddly the programme on paper for yesterday was much tighter than Saturday and there was a worry that it would not all have fitted in within the CAA permission times. As always there are some immovable objects in the programme with aircraft arriving from elsewhere with other commitments, meaning you can't move things forward or avoid some of the gaps. The only two aircraft not present were two of the Buchons due to serviceability issues.

Thanks for the feedback Silent flight. I wasn't intending to be critical. I was a little surprised by rapid wind down across the show, pretty much as soon as the battle finished. Maybe that made it feel a little anticlimactic, compared with my Saturday visits.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Learning Curve" - Jakub Zurek spent an action-packed weekend in Leicestershire.

Image Image Image