stuart n

Re: Little Gransden 2019

Post by stuart n »

Solid line up :clap:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Anyone know which of the warbirds will be landing on at Grandsen for this show?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Anyone know which of the warbirds will be landing on at Grandsen for this show?

P-51 Miss Helen was on the ground last year so guess it would do the same...other than taht no idea.

Peter

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

First year of attending this show for me this weekend.

I gather parking is on neighbouring fields, what time are we allowed to start parking up, I gather gates open at 10am ?

I only live about 30 mins away so just wanted to be sure on best time to rock up ?

Cheers :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

Airwolfhound wrote:First year of attending this show for me this weekend.

I gather parking is on neighbouring fields, what time are we allowed to start parking up, I gather gates open at 10am ?

I only live about 30 mins away so just wanted to be sure on best time to rock up ?

There are 2 car parks A & B....

If coming via Little Gransden A is on the left hand side (park walk across road, straight into Airfield)....B is further around the corner, if coming from Gamlingay direction, its on the left through a hedge.

I usually get there around/just after 9am, park up then wait until gates open at 10am.

Peter

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Appreciated, thanks :-)

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I've heard that there have been a number of cancellations, including but not limited to, the Rolls Royce Spitfire, Sally B, and the DH Comet.

There is a revised list on their FB page, but this still shows the Comet as down to attend. I'll see if I can confirm this.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I went for the first time this year and it was a bit mixed especially at the start. Without being rude the yellow pitts and the white extra would have looked good on the moon. The turbulent team doing all their party tricks behind a hedge so it was a waste really as I quite like them. Then the bell 47 I don’t have a clue what was going on. Why on earth was it flying at the same time as the comet? I was very thankful when the sea fury cane as it definitely livened the show up and I quite enjoyed it after that

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

The scheduling did seem odd, a very low key first hour with lots of aerobatic acts and a couple of debuts I think they said, hence the high routines (not a great spectacle admittedly)

I heard the woman chatting away crashing the display Freq, never encountered that at an airshow before. Suspect she knew the organisers from what she said!

The big Yak looks in a bad way, guess a nose into the deck on landing, when did this happen? Does anyone know?

It was not a sell out, the venue has definitely suffered from the new regs, felt like it needed a star item but a pleasant display to watch in the fierce sunshine none the less.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Got any images of the Yak?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

My first time back at the show since 2014, and thus pre-Shoreham. The bend has always been under-used, but today it was especially so. Anything that did venture round there was way beyond the reach of my 300mm lens.

There is also SO much clutter at LG. How many photographers in high viz jackets does a show this size need? Then there’s the vans and emergency vehicles parked on the warbird corner. Can they not be relocated to join the others along the hedge line? It’s impossible at times to get a clean shot of anything.

I didn’t really enjoy it too much, and in-keeping with my findings at every airshow I’ve been to since the start of 2016, it was abundantly clear that Shuttleworth is the only place where a flying display can still really have an impact.

It’s still a nice and welcoming venue, and the change in commentator since my last visit was also an improvement with more info and much, much less of the pitching for donations. That alone made it far easier to listen to.

At gate price, I think there is better value to be had elsewhere, and Shuttleworth looks a snip at £30.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I felt Ken's commentary was missed, the chap today was error prone.... Has Ken retired?

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Not heard anything about the yak. It operated from sywell I think and haven’t seen anything about it having an incident

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

UKAirshowTour wrote:Not heard anything about the yak. It operated from sywell I think and haven’t seen anything about it having an incident

Saw it mentioned over on the Key forums recently:

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-in ... c11-g-oyak

https://www.wisbechstandard.co.uk/news/ ... -1-5738131

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
UKAirshowTour wrote:Not heard anything about the yak. It operated from sywell I think and haven’t seen anything about it having an incident

Saw it mentioned over on the Key forums recently:

https://www.gov.uk/aaib-reports/aaib-in ... c11-g-oyak

https://www.wisbechstandard.co.uk/news/ ... -1-5738131

This makes more sense. I thought we were on about the yak 3 hence why I hadn’t heard of anything.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Happened last summer then

MUSTANG

Post by MUSTANG »

The Bell 47 was stopped as he infringed the display line when he came back over the hedge (went backwards towards it). I assume he was given permission to hover, went over the hedge but was told an Extra was parked there came back over then infringed the line.

The women transmitting on the display freq did indeed sound like someone who was connected with the event/ or aircraft...

Sadly as others have mentioned the display line was so far away maybe if you had a 150-600 (500 or 600mm at least) on APS-C you might have done ok, otherwise cropping will be needed (I had a 7D Mk2 & 100-400). Only the Beech 18 pushed it and was told off and as mentioned by UKAirshowTour what was the point of sticking the Turbulent routine behind the hedge ?.

I think I took around 600 during the flying about a third being actually flying pictures and quite a few of them were the parachute team, the rest were ground shots.

All that said this will be my last visit to LG in its current setup, pity as always looked forward to this show.

Peter

p.s yes to many people in orange vests and I missed Ken Ellis commentary.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Not a bad little show I thought, first time I had been to it.

There were quite a few things that I didn't think much of, but a lot of things in this world I don't think much of in all honesty :lol: :lol:

I was not impressed with the church service in the afternoon, what was that all about ? Fair enough about the veteran reading various bits, but having a priest/vicar/whatever it was reading a sermon and conducting prayers was a little off kilter for me.

Plus the commentator annoyed me, so many errors, and quite prejudicial as well, but hey, the flying was ok and I got plenty of decent enough shots (I was using my new 60-600mm on my 7d2 and got some good shots with it).

The cars were quite good too, always partial to seeing Mustangs (not just my own :grin: ).

Parking was easy, leaving was easier, but doubtful I'd attend again.

Showcomm

Post by Showcomm »

Hi
I just thought I’d reply to some of your review comments on here.
The show has suffered in the last few years in respect of new display guidelines from the CAA
The display line is now further out and is because of the venue somewhat restrictive .
The Fire Service vehicles are indeed an issue where that are which we are seeking to address them in future shows , however the CAA and FDD do not want them against the fence line it impedes their vision of the displays , another area to be addressed .
The Church Service is a long standing tradition which is associated with the local Gransden Lodge base which was instrumental in WW2 as home of the Canadian Pathfinder Sqdns .
I agree it’s a little bit of a surprise to those new spectators and it’s under review for 2020, what you need to realize is that the venue is small and restricted on display limits and runway limits
This show has raised over £350.000 for Charity causes and is about a family relaxed and entertaining day out , it’s not about who can get the best shot etc etc . It’s a relatively small show in confined space .
As far as too many orange vests Airside we only had 6 accredited photographers Airside,
We are not an Airshow that’s trying to compete with anyone else we are a charity show that is trying to improve the day against heavy odds from Local Authorities and new rulings etc etc
All in all the positives outweigh the negatives .
Regards
LGAS

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i went for the first time in a couple of years and must admit the first section of the show seemed quite slow.

the yellow pitts doing a display that he plans to do next year in the hurricane did nothing for me. it felt like a practice flight and i was expecting more aerobatics from it.

did love the comet and the sea fury got a bit of a thrashing.

breaking from tradition, i left an hour before the end because it turned out to be just too hot to enjoy it.

for me its a nice little show that does a lot for charity. i don't expect it to be duxford, it's just a nice day out.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Thanks for your response LGAS, much appreciated.

I'm a seasoned airshow goer (although some say seasoned in other ways lol) and must admit to not being used to a church service in the middle of the display. Plenty of the audience respected it though and said 'Amen' in the right places (I assume as I wouldn't personally know as I try to avoid anything smelling like religion), I was more interested in watching the Dakota have a fly-through :-)

I can't compare what the display line was like to previous years as this was my first year, but I did comment that I thought it was quite good from where I was standing and had no problems getting the pics that I was after.

My wife and I brought her parents along as it was mostly a birthday treat for my father-in-law, and he very much enjoyed the show, so that was a big tick in the box.

However, I am more used to the Shuttleworth shows, Duxford, and of course the mighty RIAT, and so what was on show (mostly civilian acts) wasn't really my bag at the end of the day.

Good to see you doing your bit for the charities and raising so much money for them, I did donate into the loose change bucket (although I'd rather see my money go to lost and injured squirrels than children........) but I paid my way for what was on display ;-)

Thanks for all the obvious hardwork you put in to the show, the majority of the audience seemed to enjoy the day which is what it is all about I guess :-)

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

LGAS, was Ken unavailable for commentary this year?

Showcomm

Post by Showcomm »

Sad to inform you that Ken Ellis has retired from
This show and a good few others now, Ken has not commentated at LG for 2 years now !
Keith Wilson’s commentary was very good although this is his first time with a full line up .
Guys, we are evolving and trying to make this the best we can , the curved display line used to be the highlight ( Vulcan 2014 !) but alas the CAA are now inspecting this show every year and as such the pilots are very aware !
We are trying to be very entertaining but at the same time dealing with the tech issues a/c seem to suddenly suffer , this year RR Spit and B17 . Not easy to find short notice replacements.
It’s a varied close up family show , never going to be a Shuttleworth or a RIAT !