Anybody feeling nostalgic over Scampton?

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
MiG_Eater

Anybody feeling nostalgic over Scampton?

Post by MiG_Eater »

I know this show was pretty much snubbed by most on this forum, but does anybody else wish that Scampton was on this year?

I really enjoyed the show in 2017 and was very disappointed at the ensuing cancellation. Wouldn't it be great to have another (UK) airshow at a proper base to go to after RIAT!?

I guess no-one knows what the future holds, but I can't see Scampton happening again. Here's hoping there's another new airshow soon.

spellow3010

Re: Anybody feeling nostalgic over Scampton?

Post by spellow3010 »

Personally, I didn't do Scampton 2017 as I'd read all sorts of stories about parking some distance away and having to be at the mercy of shuttle buses when everyone all pitched up or departed at the same time. Not going to happen with me I'm afraid, so I was waiting to see what all the feedback was before attending a future show there. Doesn't look like there will be one.

I tend to agree with your other point about having something to do at a military base 'after RIAT.' Kind of feels as though the 'main' season is over in this country, although there is still plenty more action on a lower key level across the country of course. More and more though, my eyes are looking abroad for my aviation fixes.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Likewise - but its a shame. UK military airshows were so numerous quite recently, and now - almost all gone.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

No, not really. Shame that it never took off so to speak. Don't even see the relevance of it having a section to itself any more to be honest.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Well indeed... how many years did that poor Air Fete sub-forum stick around after 2001?

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

As said earlier, it's sadly becoming a dying breed.
For me, Scampton was, as an airfield, off to a bad start logistics wise and geographically too.
A reduced number of aircraft, coupled to a high financial charge and bad weather, hit its infancy.
Never recovered from bad press.
Won't happen again. Remove the thread.
R.I.P.
Canon systems

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

MiG_Eater wrote:Well indeed... how many years did that poor Air Fete sub-forum stick around after 2001?

You literally started this topic that has spurned on extra comment/discussion re Scampton where there were none for months. Do you want to chat about Scampton or not? :grin:

We'll probably keep the sub-forum until iron-clad confirmation from DBH comes that Scampton is completely off the cards (or their "north east of England airshow" is announced some other place.

If I may be so bold, we tried to get a definitive answer on that eighteen months ago with my interview with the team, but one wasn't provided.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

MiG_Eater wrote:Well indeed... how many years did that poor Air Fete sub-forum stick around after 2001?

Probably years, but in all fairness there were 25 years or so to wax lyrical about, not a single bodge it and scarper affair.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

I had my criticisms of the Scampton air show, I felt from the start that publicising the event as 'for Families' was wrong, of course its for families, so is every air show open to the public. So it was a gratuitous statement. Or was it? I felt when I read such a statement that there was an agenda couched in such terms. That the aim was to try and move toward the kind of flying programme we got. i.e. the Red Arrows, Typhoon, Tucano and BBMF padded out with filler items. Nothing wrong with the specified display items, but as the saying goes; 'a Swallow does not a Summer make' apologies if the quote is wrong. Otherwise, I certainly wanted the Scampton air show to grow from strength to strength. It is possible, just, that the heavy criticism, such as gets pumped out on forums such as this, strangled the Scampton show at birth. I do believe that the organisers bear a great deal of responsibility for this, but not entirely. Complaints and averse reactions to Shuttle Bus operations etc, I think were a bit over stated as grounds for complaints go. This leads to my main point, security concerns, if they are all they are claimed to be, then we have to take such rough with the smooth, under the current climate. I speak as someone who recalls picnicing out the boot of the family car at Finningley, a few yards from the crowdline in the 1960s and early 1970s. You might say that the Scampton show was the direct descendent of that particular 'At Home' day. Its somewhat reassuring to see that for all the security concerns elsewhere that Cosford can still behave like its 1969 with cars parked up reaching back from the crowdline. So the point is, whatever the honest reasons for why the military shows, Culdrose, Waddington etc have stopped, it might be prudent to try and support, if only through such a medium as website forums, any opportunity to retain what's left and support any new initiatives such as Scampton. We've seen the Farnborough public days go as well, seemingly as a result of a hissy fit by the organisers reaction to complaints, largely justifiable in that particular case. Further I do hope that DBH come up with an alternative and hoist aboard any realistic criticisms which they could resolve. Here endeth the sermon, please feel free to make a charitable donation toward the Church roof repairs on you way out! :biggrin:

FB :cuppa:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Personally I enjoyed the day at Scampton, but I wonder how much of that was coloured by my memories of being there on camp as a cadet getting "bored" with 24hr Vulcan flying in 1978? :rock:
The flying programme was interesting (perhaps with one or two exceptions cough autogyro cough) but even that was better than a hand launched drone displayed at Waddington one year. The cost has been debated but I recognised that it wouldn't be RIAT 2.0 and accepted that an element of the ticket price was about building financial muscle going forward. I was happy with the shuttle service (and I too was brought up on the car-boot picnic).

I miss the show, but I'll miss the station more when it goes.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

... I actually like the Autogyro display...

Also I spoke to the owner of HHA at RIAT and he has sincere doubts that Scampton will close at all!

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

MiG_Eater wrote:... I actually like the Autogyro display...

Also I spoke to the owner of HHA at RIAT and he has sincere doubts that Scampton will close at all!

Really - RAF Scampton not closing??? but they've presumably spent quite a lot on money on finding the Reds a new home and creating the training airspace at either RAF Waddington/ Wittering/ Leeming?

Wasn't the base closure also a reason for not bringing the show back and RAFCTE talking about somewhere else in the east of England?

Anyway if the show had it continued would have been held over either of the past two weekends - both having great weather in the UK but would have had to compete with Zweltwig and sanicole for foreign displays, plus the Reds are away in the USA.

Shame RAFCTE/ RIAT pulled the plug on it. Had potential. I doubt we will get a replacement. Hopefully RAF Cosford can continue to up its game and provide us with the only RAF show left.

If there is a replacement then I'd like a proper RAF Waddington replacement - a military show/ RIAT-north, not what was offered at Scampton 2017. The public after all didn't like what was on offer and didn't attend which led to it being a flop and cancelled.

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

Well, sadly after re-reading this thread and sensing the negativity shown, it's hardly surprising that there has been no interest or posting for 3 months from 17th Sep to 17th Dec.
I fear in sum, it's done and dusted.
A valiant attempt (see what I did there for the aviation theme)?
Bury the thread / remove it and save valuable pixel-space for something more positive.
The Parrot has fallen off the perch...
RIP :tumbleweed:
Canon systems

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

That's all very well reheat module, but at the absolute very least, DBH (the party I assume responsible), could make a public statement dressed up in whatever lingo they like, amounting to, forget it! The project's been kyboshed. :sad:

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

Finningley Boy wrote:That's all very well reheat module, but at the absolute very least, DBH (the party I assume responsible), could make a public statement dressed up in whatever lingo they like, amounting to, forget it! The project's been kyboshed. :sad:

FB

Scampton is dead as a dodo - the base is closing remember.

DBH did say as recently as this years FRIAT members day that alternative venues for an airshow in the North of England were being evaluated, or words to that effect. But I wouldnt hold my breath, personally on that one....

CJS

Post by CJS »

andrewn wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:That's all very well reheat module, but at the absolute very least, DBH (the party I assume responsible), could make a public statement dressed up in whatever lingo they like, amounting to, forget it! The project's been kyboshed. :sad:

FB

Scampton is dead as a dodo - the base is closing remember.

DBH did say as recently as this years FRIAT members day that alternative venues for an airshow in the North of England were being evaluated, or words to that effect. But I wouldnt hold my breath, personally on that one....

Probably a non starter, although remember the beginning of this thread?

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=71506
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

As it's been over two years since the last Scampton airshow, and it seems unlikely to return, we've taken the decision to close that sub-forum.

All the archived Scampton discussions have been moved to this section of the forum.