Aero Legends 80th Anniversary Battle of Britain Airshow

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
Ant.H

Re: Aero Legends 80th Anniversary Battle of Britain Airshow

Post by Ant.H »

As far as I'm aware, the Lanc had a few parts late back from winter servicing so it was June before she made her first flight of the year.

Unless there's been another problem since..?

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Hoping for some updates on the logistics from anyone going tomorrow.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Lanc had a hydraulics issue recently I believe. No idea if it’s been fixed, but it’s appearance at Guersney airshow was cancelled and it was just the pair of fighters displaying.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Pretty sure i'd seen a time table for displays but I can't seem to see it anywhere now, anyone know ?

Cheers

Steve

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Their website https://www.bobairshow.co.uk/news/80th- ... programme/ shows the 6 elements of the display, but I haven't seen specific timings. It does say somewhere else on the site that the flying is from 12.00-4.00pm

If anyone has more details, it would be appreciated.

Andy

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Check the weather before you venture out today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2647240
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Anthony7

Post by Anthony7 »

I can’t see there being much flying today.
Also haven’t seen many posts from aero legends lately.

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

The forecast on the Met Office app is significantly better than the forecast from the BBC. (Dry after 10.00 and sunny intervals this afternoon). https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/fo ... o=Headcorn (Kent)&date=2020-09-25

I don't understand how there can be such variations in forecasts from different providers!

I have a 3-day ticket for the show, but have decided to skip today, hoping for better weather at the weekend. 🤞

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Does anyone know what the daily crowd capacity is for the event ?

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Could be one of those days of 2 halves weather wise today, don't write it off too fast, we have all seen them in the past. Wind speeds look a bit lively though.

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

The BBC is showing cloud with a low percentage chance of rain just now. I think the bigger issue will be the wind, both the strength and the temperature, both will be challenging. I'll be relatively happy so long as its stays dry, though I do wonder if we will get much flying with that wind.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Forecast for Coningsby shows gusts up to 50mph for this afternoon. Doesn’t bode well for an appearance by BBMF.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

The rain has held off in the main since just after 10 (hopefully it stays that way!) the site seems very well set up, with boxes for those with normal admission tickets to sit in and three rows of tables for those with the premiere tickets, all socially distanced. The wind feels very strong, but the two Daks have arrived from Duxford this morning and the Stampe team have been up for a fly, so hopefully it won't stop too much of the display.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

itfcscott wrote:
Fri 25 Sep 2020, 10:25 am
The rain has held off in the main since just after 10 (hopefully it stays that way!) the site seems very well set up, with boxes for those with normal admission tickets to sit in and three rows of tables for those with the premiere tickets, all socially distanced. The wind feels very strong, but the two Daks have arrived from Duxford this morning and the Stampe team have been up for a fly, so hopefully it won't stop too much of the display.
How was the entrance process? What time did you arrive?

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

It was fine and smooth, no queues at all to get in. Separate entrances for those who have booked by the main site and those who have booked by Groupon etc which are clearly marked and separate entrances for those with the enclosure tickets too so we'll spread out. Arrived just before 10 and then walked across at 10 after waiting in the car as per the instructions online. It is no where near full here today so it will be busier over the weekend, but they weren't using all the entrances they had set up today so imagine it will work fine.

Only complaint would be the lack of toilets on site, could do with a few more spread out around the airfield.

Had the two Aero Legends Spitfires displaying together and a Harvard took off and did a flypast on its way to Goodwood and will return to display later. But bit of a hiatus now with the wind clearly effecting things. No updates on what is due next or when though.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

itfcscott wrote:
Fri 25 Sep 2020, 11:36 am
Arrived just before 10 and then walked across at 10 after waiting in the car as per the instructions online.
Were most people following this advice? I have on numerous occasions been disappointed having followed advice like this to get there and find an already half full site.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

It was quite well followed, there were a handful of people (I'd say 8 groups at the most) that headed over before us, but was generally well observed. Once got through the gate it was virtually empty on site...whether it will be the same at the weekend with a bigger crowd is another matter. But was OK today.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Thanks for the info, let's pray for better weather tomorrow.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

..and what about the vexed issue of food? Are there adequate stalls/eating facilities onsite?

Andy

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

No issues at all bringing our own food in, no one has questioned it or said anything at all. A few burger vans etc around at either end of the site.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Many thanks for your ongoing updates - really appreciated.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

itfcscott wrote:
Were you in the premiere seats or just with joe public ? is there much difference ? was looking at booking the flight line premiere but not sure i want to part with the best of £85 for me and my son.

Cheers

Steve

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Update today:

Hi everyone, we just wanted to drop you a quick line following the first day of our 2020 Battle of Britain Airshow.

Firstly, thank you to you all for observing the social distance guidelines which made everything on the show ground run very smoothly - very much appreciated.
Like most people we had concerns over the challenging weather conditions, particularly the strong winds. We therefore could not put on the show that we wanted, the weather conditions at both Duxford and Coningsby remained outside of safe operating limits which precluded the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, ME109, Hurricane and Mk1 Spitfire joining the display.

However, we improvised and managed to get nearly all of the aircraft on site up to display including the Dakotas, Spitfires, Harvards and Bi Planes. We hope you enjoyed seeing these lovely aircraft in action.

Fortunately the weekend’s weather looks drier and less blustery! The Duxford based fighters will be arriving in the morning and we’ll be expecting the BBMF fighters later in the day. The wind remains outside of of safe operating limits at Coningsby for the BBMF Lancaster which therefore will be unable to attend this weekend.

We look forward to seeing all of you with tickets for Saturday and Sunday.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

lynothehammer wrote:
Fri 25 Sep 2020, 3:06 pm
itfcscott wrote:
Were you in the premiere seats or just with joe public ? is there much difference ? was looking at booking the flight line premiere but not sure i want to part with the best of £85 for me and my son.

Cheers

Steve
I went with the premiere enclosure and glad I did to be honest, there are some small amounts of crowd line that you can get to as normal public, but a lot more relaxed and only way to get clear views of the runway and ground stuff, which was important for me so worthwhile, it depends what you are after. If you PM me your email address I'll send you a couple of images to show the view and set up.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

itfcscott wrote:
Fri 25 Sep 2020, 5:35 pm
lynothehammer wrote:
Fri 25 Sep 2020, 3:06 pm
itfcscott wrote:

Cheers

Steve
I went with the premiere enclosure and glad I did to be honest, there are some small amounts of crowd line that you can get to as normal public, but a lot more relaxed and only way to get clear views of the runway and ground stuff, which was important for me so worthwhile, it depends what you are after. If you PM me your email address I'll send you a couple of images to show the view and set up.
You have PM sir... :D