RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Mr Benn

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Mr Benn »

Just trying to remember the best spot for us 4 to head too. We wont be getting there till 9.30ish , and taking an umbrella, so I realise we wont be at the front. Looking at the site map, theres not much free space in Blue, but will the Red zone be pretty much packed by the time we get there ? Am I right in thinking the jets take off around the blue zone, so theyre going upwards by the time they get to Green zone ? Thanks.

JMC

Post by JMC »

I usually pull up in the centre of red and even if the crowd-line is heaving there’s lots of room to drop back.

Corner of green is good, and aircraft will lift before then but you can’t see them at the end of the runway (not unless you’re on stilts) and it can get very busy there!

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Mr Benn wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 6:46 am
Just trying to remember the best spot for us 4 to head too. We wont be getting there till 9.30ish , and taking an umbrella, so I realise we wont be at the front. Looking at the site map, theres not much free space in Blue, but will the Red zone be pretty much packed by the time we get there ? Am I right in thinking the jets take off around the blue zone, so theyre going upwards by the time they get to Green zone ? Thanks.
If it's space you want then head to the Yellow Zone - which is effectively P&V East (you just walk round from Red Zone - no need to exit the showground). It's normally deserted and you can get on the barrier at any time of day. You get cracking approach shots and are up close to anything taxiing. The downside is you are a little away from anything that focusses it's display crowd centre - such as helicopters tend to.
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

This show is going to be a sea of Union flags isn't it.... :thinking: :grin:

I know how busy they are, but I'm actually a little surprised there hasn't been some edict sent down from the MoD to get the gaudy Voyager on the static park.... :grin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

In case anyone else was wondering, I have now had confirmation that the unexpected mention of lunch vouchers for those with viewing village tickets was indeed a mistake.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Light Chop

Post by Light Chop »

CJS wrote:
Sun 10 Jul 2022, 3:18 pm
aviodromefriend wrote:
Sun 10 Jul 2022, 2:45 pm
Bodz156 wrote:
Sun 10 Jul 2022, 1:28 pm
jasonT1981 wrote:
Sun 10 Jul 2022, 1:18 pm
Bodz156 wrote:
Sun 10 Jul 2022, 7:51 am
jasonT1981 wrote:
Sat 09 Jul 2022, 8:51 pm
Has anything been said regarding the Typhoon/Spitfire duo at RIAT?
Other than they'll do the 'Heritage flight' flypasts & break, probably after the Typhoon finishes it's solo, what more is there to be said?
I mean has DBH announced if they will fly together? I have seen it already, so know what it contains, I just don't remember updates saying if it will take place at RIAT.
The RAF announced it would be happening "at a number of airshows in the UK this year" a few months ago, it happened at Southport....so I think it's a certainty it'll happen at the largest UK event personally
Unless it can't be shoehorned in in RIAT's flying display.
I'm sure it will have been factored in long ago, so no shoe-horning needed.

It's a few minutes extra as part of the Typhoon display.

IIRC (which I probably don't!) the BBMF display after the Typhoon. The Spitfire will head off to do some local flypasts (or just pootle about) after the Typhoon/Spitfire passes and the Lancaster and Hurricane get going when the Typhoon has finished.

Disclaimer: I might be inventing this memory...
It's not specifically mentioned or highlighted on the website that it's happening. I suspect the assumption that it is a definite might be misplaced.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Bodz156 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 9:39 am

I know how busy they are, but I'm actually a little surprised there hasn't been some edict sent down from the MoD to get the gaudy Voyager on the static park.... :grin:
i'm hoping they at least bring it in for a flypast on its way in or out of Brize.
its a bit OTT in terms of a military scheme, but i'd still like to have it on my camera

coanda

Post by coanda »

Berf wrote:
Sat 09 Jul 2022, 9:20 am
Anyone think there is any possibility of arranging a collection bucket in the FRIAT reception in memory of Colonel Oleksandr Oksanchenko for families of those killed in the 831st Guards Tactical Aviation Brigade or indeed the Ukrainian Air Force? Perhaps there is a FRIAT person with good connection with RIAT? Would need a bit of work with some sort of notice or banner printed out...
Did you manage to talk to Wendy about a collection? I imagine there might be some Ukr. related collections going on anyway, just wondered...

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

CJS wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 10:16 am
In case anyone else was wondering, I have now had confirmation that the unexpected mention of lunch vouchers for those with viewing village tickets was indeed a mistake.
That's unlucky... what are your lunching options now? Warm sarnies and a melted penguin?
It's all good sauce for a memorable day out! :D
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

CJS

Post by CJS »

spellow3010 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 11:51 am
CJS wrote:
That's unlucky... what are your lunching options now? Warm sarnies and a melted penguin?
Frozen peas for breakfast, ice creams the rest of the day.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

CJS wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 12:05 pm
spellow3010 wrote:
CJS wrote:
Definitely a good week for ice creams. I hope your nipper has a good experience and doesn't get too antsy in the heat. Are you there for the Beluga? That's an aeroplane that will no doubt have a different look that will impress a youngster.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Bodz156 wrote:
RIFST

That's the Royal International Flag...Showing...Tattoo.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Just noticed the Black Eagles are down for Shuttleworth this weekend (what a coup for them!)

Does anyone know if they are actually operating out of Fairford? Would be a real shame if not, but it sounds as though parking space is rather tight this year due to the building work.

Light Chop

Post by Light Chop »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 12:57 pm
Just noticed the Black Eagles are down for Shuttleworth this weekend (what a coup for them!)

Does anyone know if they are actually operating out of Fairford? Would be a real shame if not, but it sounds as though parking space is rather tight this year due to the building work.
They are at Fairford for the entire week.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Not wanting to add to the hype or anything 👀

Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

JJC

Post by JJC »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 12:57 pm

Hopefully a good chance to catch them
Departing in some golden evening light
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

RAF Typhoon and BBMF Spitfire are doing flypasts at a different airshow on Saturday too so we should see them depart during the show.

CJS

Post by CJS »

spellow3010 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 12:31 pm
CJS wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 12:05 pm
spellow3010 wrote:
CJS wrote:
Definitely a good week for ice creams. I hope your nipper has a good experience and doesn't get too antsy in the heat. Are you there for the Beluga? That's an aeroplane that will no doubt have a different look that will impress a youngster.
We're there Sunday so not for the Beluga. I think he'll be ok in the heat for short periods, but I'm certainly looking forward to the shade that the side of the viewing village grandstand can provide, plus umbrellas, plus the techno zone tents, plus ice cream, plus one of those neck covering hats, plus the wings of large aircraft etc etc...

JMC

Post by JMC »

Just listened to the UKAR podcast on my lunch break. Hyped!

jamyt123

Post by jamyt123 »

From East Midlands Airport spotters Facebook page
rolls royce Spitfire departing ema around 12:15 ish - heading to Farnborough for display validation and then heading to RIAT on Thurs. Display on Friday and then returning to EMA around 7pm ish

Mustang heading out to RIAT on Thurs around 11:30 returning sometime next Monday
Coningsby Spotter

2024 - Midlands AF, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT etc...

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 1:29 pm
RAF Typhoon and BBMF Spitfire are doing flypasts at a different airshow on Saturday too so we should see them depart during the show.
RIAT do show Blackjack and the spitfire on the Saturday schedule, so will they like depart RIAT and afterwards return or something?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 1:29 pm
Or we will only see the Typhoon departing. The Spitfire for that other show could also operate from Coningsby.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

frank

Post by frank »

Re traffic flow from Blue Zone on show days. There was a post which I now can`t find re two routes out from the zone depending on where you get parked. One directly east to where we are staying near Cricklade and the other takes you south east towards Swindon. My question isn`t about the routes themselves but which fields channel your car directly East rather than South East.
TIA

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Bodz156 wrote:
It's probably too busy carrying the Donald Trump clone with a bad hair life over the planet on his farewell tour.
CJS wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 1:31 pm
Ice creams at RIAT are only to wave to aircraft with!
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program