Hurricane crash in Czech Republic (Merged)

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
ozplane

Hurricane crash in Czech Republic (Merged)

Post by ozplane »

It is reported that Hurricane OO_HUR/BE150 has crashed at an airchow at Cheb in the Czech Republic. Unfortunately the pilot was killed in the crash.

Ryan.

Cheb Airshow Hurricane (OO-HUR) incident

Post by Ryan. »

Not seen this mentioned anywhere else on here but tragically at an airshow in Cheb in the Czech Republic, Hawker Hurricane OO-HUR crashed during it's display. It's been confirmed that the pilot did not survive. It was also reported that the aircraft crashed into a house but no one on the ground was seriously injured.

A tragic incident with a horrible outcome.

RAF4EVER

Re: Cheb Airshow Hurricane (OO-HUR) incident

Post by RAF4EVER »

GeeRam

Re: Hurricane crash in Czech Republic (Merged)

Post by GeeRam »

From the short video clip seen, there appears to be some sad similarities to the depart from flight of G-HURR at Shoreham back in 2007.

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

I thought exactly the same thing Geeram

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

TEXANTOMCAT wrote:
Mon 15 Aug 2022, 11:38 am
I thought exactly the same thing Geeram
There's another video taken from the crowd line inside the show, which paints an even more depressing picture. It looked to be quite a sketchy display routine, almost as if he was making it up as he went along!!
Makes me wonder how much time the pilot had spent with any current/experienced Hurricane display pilots beforehand?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The Shoreham crash was following a non rehearsed roll according to AAIB.

The crash here is following a steep turn, entering a stall and not having height to recover. Quite disturbing from the outside "local resident" viewpoint.

The few minutes of video beforehand show quite aggressive manoeuvres for a Hurricane and fairly low recoveries from half cubans and tight turns, not what you usually see from Hurricane displays over here.

Either way, very sad.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

Indeed, I've never seen a Hurricane (or any other warbird, come to that) being hauled around like that.... :(
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Seahornet wrote:
Tue 16 Aug 2022, 8:44 am
Indeed, I've never seen a Hurricane (or any other warbird, come to that) being hauled around like that.... :(
The Hurricane is certainly more than capable to be flown like that, it was designed as a fighter/interceptor after all. What it wasn't designed for was aggressive low level maneuvering like what was done at this show.
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

8674planes wrote:
Tue 16 Aug 2022, 9:13 am
Seahornet wrote:
Tue 16 Aug 2022, 8:44 am
The Hurricane is certainly more than capable to be flown like that, it was designed as a fighter/interceptor after all. What it wasn't designed for was aggressive low level maneuvering like what was done at this show.
I'm not sure how you've misunderstood my words, but the "aggressive low level maneuvering like what was done at this show" is exactly what I was referring to....
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Amazing similarities to G-HURR at Shoreham. Basically Bryan Brown was too low & too slow when he entered a stall induced diving turn over considerably higher ground than he saw out of the cockpit.
The Cheb Hurricane was very obviously waaay too low & too slow to crank it around with no margin of altitude for poor judgement by the pilot . The way that aircraft flew barely controlled to impact was highly similar to Shoreham!