Little Gransden 2021

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
vulcanshammer

Little Gransden 2021

Post by vulcanshammer »

At least a little bit of positive news.

The organisers at Little Gransden have confirmed their intention to hold the show on Sunday August 29th. Full quote from their Facebook page:
Hi LGAS supporters !
We are coming back !! August 29th 2021 !
We have decided to go ahead with organizing a full show subject to the Government guidelines and restrictions.
This means that the format and structure of the show may change to accommodate those requests ..
We feel that in 6 months time the situation may have evolved to allow events to be less restrictive .
Obviously we will inform you of any changes that could impact on our show .
I know you will be very supportive and understanding of our need to adapt should we be required to under Covid rules .
Here’s hoping to see you all again Aug 29th
Tickets will be on sale in the very near future !
We need a website guru ASAP !! to assist our team with various changes ...
Not a lot of work , just maintenance !!!!
Please contact us on this page or the website.
John Swain
LGAS21 EO
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Re: Little Gransden 2021

Post by 5944 »

Vampire WZ507 added this morning.

Quite a tasty line up forming. Vampire, Lancaster, Spitfire Mk VXI, Hurricane, Marchetti, P51.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Great news! Can't find conclusive evidence whether it will be in the flying display or just on static though?

Mike

Post by Mike »

vulcanshammer wrote:
Tue 29 Jun 2021, 1:22 pm
Great news! Can't find conclusive evidence whether it will be in the flying display or just on static though?
A Vampire landing on the grass at Gransden? Now that would be worth the price of a ticket just to see that!

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Mike wrote:
Tue 29 Jun 2021, 3:29 pm
vulcanshammer wrote:
Tue 29 Jun 2021, 1:22 pm
A Vampire landing on the grass at Gransden? Now that would be worth the price of a ticket just to see that!
:grin: Excellent point!

Mike

Post by Mike »

It seems to have dropped off the list in any case.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Looking for a little advice, i've never been to Little Grandsen and considering trying it out this year so any advice on shooting into the sun, parking etc would be greatly appreciated.

Alpha Delta 210

Post by Alpha Delta 210 »

lynothehammer wrote:
Mon 12 Jul 2021, 4:35 pm
Looking for a little advice, i've never been to Little Grandsen and considering trying it out this year so any advice on shooting into the sun, parking etc would be greatly appreciated.
I've been a few times and can highly recommend Little Gransden. Parking is in a farm field adjacent to the airfield and the display line is usually a lovely dog leg and I don't recall shooting into the sun.

Post by 5944 »

Alpha Delta 210 wrote:
Mon 26 Jul 2021, 8:14 pm
lynothehammer wrote:
I've been a few times and can highly recommend Little Gransden. Parking is in a farm field adjacent to the airfield and the display line is usually a lovely dog leg and I don't recall shooting into the sun.
If you search for Fullers Hill Cottages on Google maps, it'll show the airfield with several aircraft outside. I haven't been for a few years, but if you stand towards the Eastern end of the site, near Fuller's Hill Road, you'll be fine for the sun. Parking is in the field the opposite side of the road. Not far to walk, but can be interesting if it's recently been ploughed or if it's rained!

It's a good little show normally, and there's plenty of stuff to do if you want to take the family with you as well, which is what I'm doing this year.

stealth117

Post by stealth117 »

Yak 3 and bbmf Lancaster added to the flying display 👍

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

Update on 16th August

We are delighted to announce that, subject to operational availability, de Havilland Vampire T.11 WZ507/G-VTII will be displaying at LGAS21.
This is the very last example of the RAF’s Vampire T.11 two-seat training jet aircraft still flying, and is making a very welcome return to the Little Gransden Air and Car Show after far too many years away from the event!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Will it be landing? 😂

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

lynothehammer wrote:
Steve (and anyone else who isn't familiar with the site), I've knocked up this plan to try to help. I last went in 2019 so have based it on that (usual disclaimers apply if it's changed!). For starters the postcode is SG19 3BPso that should get you there. I've followed on with some notes that might help as well.

Imagelt gransden layout by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr

The public car park (as A-D 210 said) is in the field opposite the farm / airfield entrance just to the west of the road, they used to sometimes park cars in the field to the south of the airfield as well but I don't think they did in 2019

The runway orientation is roughly east / west so if the wind is from the west ( that's the prevailing direction) they land over the road. Now a point to remember!!! the runway is not the display line I'd put this in capitals but some people don't like shouting :wink: The first year I went, eons ago I got some lovely landing pics of the visitors by sitting by the runway but found I should have moved into the main area for the display, okay you can get take off and landing shots but particularly later in the day you will be shooting into sun (south west-ish) as aircraft come up the display axis from the south.

I think (personal opinion obviously) that you want to be about midway or even further south down the main public area - they normally have a flag pole around the centre and I make sure I'm well south of that partly to ensure I don't get a round the flagpole rather than round the bend shot! That way you will avoid shooting into the sun almost completely until quite late in the display when the sun has moved round well to the west. Also by being further down the field you will get better topsides as the aircraft come round the bend round the trees - that for me is the classic shot at Lt Gransden, nearly as good as Old Warden.

I mentioned the visiting aircraft and the pure visitors are normally parked along the north side of the runway so if you want pics of those you do need to be up around the 28 threshold end of the public area as those won't come into the main aircraft park which is used for the participating aircraft.
The displaying aircraft taxi out to the runway through what is normally a very wide gap but on display days is narrowed down to make space for the public to walk between the two areas, the northern part near the 28 threshold is used for the majority of the classic cars so there is a lot of traffic between the two areas and there isn't room to sit there unless you are in a small disabled area that was located there last time but you can normally get pics from further back of the taxiing aircraft coming in and out - otherwise wait until the show ends and the departures commence, that is worth hanging about for.

here's a link to my 2019 pics as the most recent examples from a show day: https://www.flickr.com/photos/125470545 ... 5352/page1

HTH
Andy
andygolfer
winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Andy, many thanks for posting this, very useful information for me as a first timer. As you have indicated, the runway is not the display line, but what's the view like back from the fence line and how busy does it tend to be?

Alpha Delta 210

Aquarious wrote:
Wed 18 Aug 2021, 2:03 pm
Andy, many thanks for posting this, very useful information for me as a first timer. As you have indicated, the runway is not the display line, but what's the view like back from the fence line and how busy does it tend to be?
I concur with Andy's very comprehensive advice.

I also attended in 2019 on an exceptionally hot day and can confirm that the show was very busy and my wife and I were nowhere near the fence on the blue dogleg area in Andy's plan. That said, it really didn't matter because you don't get landing shots from that zone and taxy shots are tricky due to parked aircraft of on the fence line.

If I recall, I was pretty much filling the frame at 400mm on a full-frame camera.

I hope that helps!

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Aquarious wrote:
Wed 18 Aug 2021, 2:03 pm
I find that in the main area where my arrow points to you can get an excellent view of the display without being anywhere near the fence line as long as you don't want take off pics but if you go to the runway fence for take off pics the display view isn't as good and you may have aircraft parked in your way as well. One take off which IS worth seeing is Mark Jeffries in his Extra so if you know the time of that it might be worth getting close to the runway for that otherwise I'd opt for the main area during the display.
How busy it is does depend a lot on the display content and it sold out a couple of times a few years back when they had the 2 Lancasters and the Vulcan there but even then it wasn't shoulder to shoulder and there's plenty of space to move around (and swing a lens without catching somebody!). This year's line up looks pretty good so I would expect a good attendance.

re the Mark Jeffries take off, this was a pic of it in 2012, onto it's side straight after getting airborne!
Image2644 MJ by Andrew Goldsmith, on Flickr
andygolfer

Aquarious

Post by Aquarious »

Andy/Alpha Delta, again many thanks for the updates, very useful information. I would like to catch some take offs and landings too so I may wander a little rather than stay put for this one if it's not too busy. It sounds like a 400mm will be perfect. I'm looking forward to it.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Aquarious wrote:
Wed 18 Aug 2021, 3:07 pm
Andy/Alpha Delta, again many thanks for the updates, very useful information. I would like to catch some take offs and landings too so I may wander a little rather than stay put for this one if it's not too busy. It sounds like a 400mm will be perfect. I'm looking forward to it.
Wandering is a good option, start off at the fence by the 28 threshold until the arrivals finish then move to the main area for the display and then if you don't need to rush off go back to the threshold for departures. IF they are on 10 it's not as good for photos but you can still get plenty as they turn off to park (or taxi out after the display) 28 is definitely better
Andy
andygolfer

Mike

Post by Mike »

Mark is listed as flying a Yak-50 this year, not his usual Extra. Whether that will make any difference to his takeoff remains to be seen.

Alpha Delta 210

Aquarious wrote:
Wed 18 Aug 2021, 3:07 pm
Happy to help! It is such a small site that your plan is definitely doable. I hope the weather stays fine for us, without being unbearable!☀️

stealth117

Post by stealth117 »

Puma now tbc for static at the show 👍

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

I have been several times and it's a really charming show, I look forward to seeing the progress of the Hurri in the workshop every year. The BBQ is done by scouts, it's great value.

Staying late is well worth it, you often see some rare visitors going home and if it's a warm evening, there is simply nowhere better...

Mike

Post by Mike »

CBFS have announced that the Hurricane workshop will be closed during the event this year.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

That's a shame, maybe next year

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

How long are Early Bird tickets available, or is it any time before the event?

Andy