Cornwall aviation heritage centre

Discussions regarding historic aircraft, restoration and preservation etc
Professor_M

Re: Cornwall aviation heritage centre

Post by Professor_M »

FGR2 wrote:
Fri 02 Sep 2022, 10:58 am
The online petition is approaching 10,000 signatures.
... And exceeded that figure in the past hour.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

FGR2 wrote:
Fri 02 Sep 2022, 10:58 am
I suspected that it is down to them wanting as much commercial rent as possible.
I'm sure that's the case.
The problem is they already have empty buildings that are not rented out. The Cobham/Draken Hangar has been empty for nearly 12 Months. There are a couple of empty HAS that I'm aware of. Those HAS neighbouring CAHC have apparently had rent increased to an amount that I'm sure will force occupants to vacate.
FGR2 wrote:
Wed 31 Aug 2022, 6:27 pm
It would seem they have no interest in the value to the community and history, it is either down to hard cash and/or wanting them out.
From what I can gather they had already decided two years ago that they didn't want the museum on site. The offer of a retired BA Boeing 747 for display was flatly refused by the airport, with a hearsay remark that 'you won't be there long'.

I'm afraid history / heritage mean little to those in charge at the airport. A case in mind being the demolition of the ex RAF Control Tower a couple of years ago to make way for the Spaceport 'hangar'. The old Tower was a historically significant building, only two were built to that design at St Mawgan and Heathrow. The Heathrow Tower was demolished many years ago.

Post by 106500 »

Cornwall Council is Conservative dominated and all of the MPs in Cornwall are Conservative. Putting aside the merits or otherwise of the political policies of the various parties, I can’t help thinking that if the political balance down here was less definitive, that the position regarding the eviction of CAHC might be less conclusive?

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I hadn’t realised the old Tower had been demolished.

It seems odd if true, that they want to price everyone out, they must have some large scale plans for that area. I can’t imagine there are many companies beyond a small size that would find a HAS a usable space, and would they want (or be able to) pay out a sizeable rent to be there?

I can’t see why you would terminate a lease with a guaranteed income and leave it empty. Sounds like something is going on.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

FGR2 wrote:
Sat 03 Sep 2022, 4:41 pm

It seems odd if true, that they want to price everyone out, they must have some large scale plans for that area. I can’t imagine there are many companies beyond a small size that would find a HAS a usable space, and would they want (or be able to) pay out a sizeable rent to be there?

I can’t see why you would terminate a lease with a guaranteed income and leave it empty. Sounds like something is going on.
Totally agree.

And yes the Tower went Nov/Dec 2020.

Fire Section April 2021.

I haven't bothered to photograph the new Hangar, well actually it's just a large shed.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

PeteM wrote:
Sat 03 Sep 2022, 5:35 pm
FGR2 wrote:
Sat 03 Sep 2022, 4:41 pm

Totally agree.

And yes the Tower went Nov/Dec 2020.

Fire Section April 2021.

I haven't bothered to photograph the new Hangar, well actually it's just a large shed.

I went down to Newquay last year but didn’t notice it gone, but then wasn’t looking to closely, although would have thought it would have had some listing as an import structure. On another note, I wonder whether the MOD are interested in leasing back the HAS complex, hence the reason for getting people to move out. A couple of million a year from the MOD would be peanuts out of the defence budget and more than any commercial rent Cornwall Council would hope to get from private companies.

911SC

Post by 911SC »

PeteM wrote:
Sat 03 Sep 2022, 3:17 pm
The old Tower was a historically significant building, only two were built to that design at St Mawgan and Heathrow. The Heathrow Tower was demolished many years ago.
What made those two special? The reason I ask is Barkston’s and Cranwell’s tower look very similar in comparison. My understanding is that there were several ‘typical’ designs, not quite Kits, but the core structures were standardised but not always in the same N/E/S/W orientation, that changed from location to location

PeterB

Post by PeterB »

We were in Cornwall a couple of weeks ago, as usual I visited the Museum with my Son in Law and 13 year old Grandson. Both had a cracking time (as did I !), such a pity that some petty bureaucrat with an abacus has decreed that it has to close. I have signed the petition and contributed to the fund, I first visited the Museum when Mike Collett moved all his airframes from Coventry and most years since.
I will say that the highlight of this years visit was a long line of redundant bin lorries trucks etc, maybe the County Council have visions of a giant commercial car park, auction centre or what, not a particularly welcoming sight to any attraction. Still what do we know, or to be more precise what do they know ???

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Nothing to suggest anywhere this is linked with HAS site.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/16 ... ne-war/amp

EGDR

Post by EGDR »

PeteM wrote:
Sat 03 Sep 2022, 3:17 pm
A case in mind being the demolition of the ex RAF Control Tower a couple of years ago to make way for the Spaceport 'hangar'. The old Tower was a historically significant building, only two were built to that design at St Mawgan and Heathrow.
Quite astonishingly, the Cornwall Historic Environment Record team were completely unaware that the tower (which was included on their register) was demolished until I told them several months afterwards.

Archer

Post by Archer »

A couple of posts from CAHC's Facebook page:
To the supporters of the Cornwall Aviation Heritage Centre - First of all THANK YOU!!!! for the pressure you are putting on the Council - but please don't stop, they need to know this is not a flash in the pan.
Second, here are some more Council people who it would be very good to bombard with emails to express your feelings about this disastrous situation -
David Harris, Deputy Leader of Cornwall Council - cllr.david.harris@cornwall.gov.uk
Kate Kennally, CEO of Cornwall Council - kkennally@cornwall.gov.uk
Please don't hold back - they need to know what a terrible mistake they are making.
Another one:
Reasons why the museum means so much to so many people.
We respectfully ask you to sign the petition in our pinned post to demonstrate to Cornwall Airport Newquay & Cornwall Council how important this facility is to the people of Cornwall and beyond.
To date, Cornwall Council have failed to truly understand what CAHC really stands for, or provide any constructive or proactive input to support a relocation within the vicinity of the airport development.
**The museum requires less than 1% of the total area of the airport estate to continue.**
Cornwall Council's unwillingness to support or provide detailed feedback on the 9 proposals previously submitted by the museum will result in:
• Job Losses.
• Loss of educational facilities for our charity, schools, colleges & youth groups.
• Loss of a highly commended & popular ALL YEAR-ROUND attraction.
• Loss of training facilities for the Royal Air Force (RAF) JARTS Sqn.
• The scrapping of rare British aircraft heritage.
• The loss of an important meeting place for veterans & their families.
• Loss of another small enterprise increasing the current attrition rate for businesses in Cornwall.
See the Facebook page for more about this (link here).

Post by 106500 »

Just sent my letter to Cornwall Council; took me 10 minutes. Please take the opportunity to do the same if you can. This is a real chance for UKAR readers to make a difference!

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I had a response from Cornwall County Council. It didn’t address any of my points about education, opportunities for youngsters, but was little more than a rehash of the CCC press release.

I didn’t expect much else to be honest, but if it gets all parties talking then it would have been worth it.

Archer

Post by Archer »

They probably have to toe the line in their responses, but every e-mail counts, let's continue putting this pressure on them.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

FGR2 wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 6:37 pm
I had a response from Cornwall County Council. It didn’t address any of my points about education, opportunities for youngsters, but was little more than a rehash of the CCC press release.

I didn’t expect much else to be honest, but if it gets all parties talking then it would have been worth it.
I had exactly the same.

"We will consider assisting CAHC to move to a new location if and when a credible, costed and deliverable proposal has been developed."

CAHC seem to think they have done this and are being ignored, CCC seem to think such a plan is non-existent. Here's hoping this apparent miscommunication between the two parties doesn't lead to the unnecessary scrapping of the aircraft.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Council meeting today. Still no further clue as to why they are not renewing the lease. All sounds rather odd to me, I can’t really believe there is a massive queue of aviation related companies in Cornwall just waiting to rent a very large pig shed. Something is going on.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... um-7614658

Archer

Post by Archer »

Throwing out a company that pays rent is a strange way to maximise the income from a site. The article doesn't really explain that point beyond the fact that it was a five year lease and they had the option not to extend it again.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Archer wrote:
Sat 24 Sep 2022, 5:23 pm
Throwing out a company that pays rent is a strange way to maximise the income from a site. The article doesn't really explain that point beyond the fact that it was a five year lease and they had the option not to extend it again.
I don’t know whether they are expecting a large company to move into the whole site or whether someone is going to redevelop it. It is hard to see what modern tech /aerospace companies could do with a single or group of Hardened Aircraft Shelters, (and whether they are going to pay a considerably higher rent than the museum). Perhaps moving out/pricing out other companies currently onsite and a complete long term leasing out of the whole HAS area to one entity is the objective. Maybe they have an aerospace company that wants to move in and take over the area, although there is nothing other than a vague wish of reducing tax payer subsidies and bringing in high value aerospace business to the airport mentioned at the moment. Are they expecting the Spaceport to attract high value companies to the HAS area?

Maybe.

It seems a gamble if there is no one lined up, as you could end up with empty shelters with no income for the council. Would any council take that risk?

It seems they want the museum out regardless, but with no explanation (at least that we know of) as to why the lease won’t be renewed.

I know I posted this before, but this is interesting regarding Agile Combat Employment (from the Daily Express) an extract here for anyone that missed it:

The concept was first made public in December by Air Vice-Marshal Ian Duguid who, as commanding officer of No 1 Group, is responsible for coordinating air assets to defend the UK in times of crisis.

“It doesn't necessarily mean overseas. It might be to move aircraft from a main operating base to an airfield that doesn't normally host fast jets, C-17s or A400s,” he said.

"Over the past 30 years we have consolidated our main operating bases and reduced the number we have. While concentrating our forces is more efficient, it also provides potential vulnerabilities.”

“Under ACE, airfields such as St Mawgan - run by a commercial contractor - or Leuchars, which is retained as a diversionary airfield for Quick Reaction Alert forces, could host F-35’s.

"We are also working with some of the commercial regional airports to see if, in times of crisis, we could utilise their airfields or use them for refuelling and operational turnarounds.”

Additionally:

Quote: According to sources, negotiations have been "complex" and have involved financial inducements to private airport operators.

Full article below:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/16 ... kraine-war

As mentioned before there is nothing to suggest this is anyway linked to the HAS site though.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Petition has now made it past 20,000 signatures.

Petition here:
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A ... 1--QTattYA

Post by 106500 »

Last full week open for this wonderful museum. I visited today and there were plenty of families and enthusiasts milling around, presumably some (like me) making the most of this last opportunity to inspect the many exhibits. Star of the show must be the delightful Vickers Varsity, beautifully restored and the enthusiasm of the volunteer guides can’t be faulted. Seeing the kids sitting wide eyed in the Harrier GR3 was particularly rewarding and I must admit I followed them into the cockpit! Then there’s the VC10, Sea Hawk and JARTS collection…. Can the museum be saved? It’s looking unlikely but there’s always hope….

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I went at the beginning of the month, it was busy then too.

I am going to send another letter to the council, their reply didn’t mention anything about my points of it being a tourist attraction and a valuable learning asset.

They say they want to attract high skilled/high wage companies to the airport, however the large area by 404 hangar is used for trailer storage and I understand Biffa use a large area for storage as well. Doesn’t really make sense or tie in with their high skilled aspirations.

Post by 106500 »

https://planetradio.co.uk/pirate-fm/loc ... mfESAKAf9E

Nearly over now. Very sadly it’s not hard to foresee the destruction of the VC10 and BAC111, and other airframes no doubt. Unfortunately the Conservative dominated council down here is only interested in shiny new retail parks and has absolutely no interest in our heritage. Cornwall has lost out massively on Brexit and folk are suffering greatly from the economic downturn. The NHS is an absolute shambles yet folk (who constantly complain about it) are so set in their ways (mainly that farming must take priority) that nothing is likely to change politically for the foreseeable future.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The Centre closed its doors, for what seems the very last time today.

There has apparently been some coverage on the news locally over the last week.

Will be criminal if it is lost, aircraft are scrapped and it just turns into a trailer and refuse truck storage area like other parts of the airfield have.

Archer

Post by Archer »

Very sad, I really hope they can work out a way to save the airframes.

Professor_M

Post by Professor_M »

Could this be a key part of the Council's hidden agenda?

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornw ... rt-7825499