RIAT ATC

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
RIAT ATC

Re: RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

Opinions do not reflect those of RAFCTE.
For participation news see airtattoo.com

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

verreli

Post by verreli »

Hope you enjoy the next 6 days as much as everyone else coming to Fairford. The weather is playing ball for once. Have a safe one and thanks for the insights in advance of the show.

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

It was a good day with the whole operation getting back into gear again, and many ATCOs at Brize and Fairford having their first exposure to RIAT.

Looks like the pace is sustained quite a bit more tomorrow. Good experience for our trainees before their CAA examination on Friday.

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It’d be cool if the calibration duty (I think the Hunter did similar in 2019?) was regularly offered to an otherwise static fast jet. Call it the “Badger Slot” or something haha.

Or, I’m sure no one would have problems with the German Tornados doing it each year!

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

The Hunter (if we’re thinking of the same one) wasn’t a calibration run. It was unexpected, hence why we encourage all arrivals and departures to fly standard profiles unless arranged with the FCC in advance.

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

We did our best for P&V West yesterday - eg putting the Czech helis via RW09 and round “the loop”….. we are far more restricted on Thursdays, with the increase in traffic and the need to get certain aircraft into certain aprons in an order and getting aircraft backtracked before rehearsals - so please manage expectations.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I'm not sure if the FCC has their eyes in, I think they need more practice :grinning:
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Challenging afternoon in ATC?

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

Great work today guys. God it is good to be back! What a day! 👍😀
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

Yep, today had some “Wall of Steel” moments! Bird strike and traffic low on fuel, all in the mix, but that’s why we do it. Very few “empty slots” on the arrival plan. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Really enjoyed Thursday, thanks to all in ATC (and all the other helpers) - you are very much appreciated!
Anything that flies!

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

Great day yesterday - a smooth flying display and the chance to put some nice aircraft around the circuit.
The SW loop is fantastic, with a host of interesting and rare airframes - don’t miss it !
A longer, more complex flying display today - but all planned out by our Flying Display Director.

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

As smooth a display day as we could have hoped for yesterday - just over 8 hours of flying display and we finished one minute late. All the flypasts were bang on time, which is where we tend to lose the time. A varied and interesting display in our opinion. Even managed to get Tom in and out in his helicopter without hassle. Hoping for the same today.
And thanks to the FRIAT member who called in the injured bird .

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

I seem to recall that the airfield opens at 0900 local for departures this year - does anyone know if that is correct? Just wondering how long I can stay in bed for.
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

CJS

Post by CJS »

bishbashbosh wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 4:42 pm
I seem to recall that the airfield opens at 0900 local for departures this year - does anyone know if that is correct? Just wondering how long I can stay in bed for.
The first departure was bang on 9am this morning (not that that helps you much as it was 9.5 hours ago!)
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

RIAT ATC wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 6:06 am
And thanks to the FRIAT member who called in the injured bird .
On that and realising how busy everyone is, is there anybody watching the airfield for bird hazards. The gull circled several times low in front of the tower area before landing slap bang in the middle of the runway while the RSV F-2000 was displaying and it still landed with a large and potentially damaging hazard ready to go through an intake in plain sight. Just wondering?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

CJS wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 5:23 pm
bishbashbosh wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 4:42 pm
The first departure was bang on 9am this morning (not that that helps you much as it was 9.5 hours ago!)
Thanks

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

RIAT ATC wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 8:13 pm
I like to experience the 'full power of the take offs' on departures - so the 09 end might be better. That's a P&V end I've never been to despite this being my 28th show. I guess due to the light winds 27 might be used too. Bit of a quandary really!

RIAT ATC

Post by RIAT ATC »

Just to confirm the reasons behind the RW choices for tomorrow … the wind is forecast to be southerly enabling both ends to be used.

The departure plan involves a lot of departures from the SW loop and adjacent aprons first thing. Backtracking uses up a lot of time, and with the northern taxiway restricted for the operation of larger aircraft, it makes operational sense to use RW09 on opening. Some of the smaller VFR departures may use 27 if parked in the SE of the airfield.

At 1200 local, there is a mass clear out of the fighters, helicopters and aircraft to the East of the tower, so a change to RW27 is sensible, as most aircraft will use Foxtrot South Hold.

There will be the odd exception to this, but based on the forecast, this is the plan.

coanda

Post by coanda »

RIAT ATC wrote:
Sun 17 Jul 2022, 10:23 pm
Just to confirm the reasons behind the RW choices for tomorrow … the wind is forecast to be southerly enabling both ends to be used.

The departure plan involves a lot of departures from the SW loop and adjacent aprons first thing. Backtracking uses up a lot of time, and with the northern taxiway restricted for the operation of larger aircraft, it makes operational sense to use RW09 on opening. Some of the smaller VFR departures may use 27 if parked in the SE of the airfield.

At 1200 local, there is a mass clear out of the fighters, helicopters and aircraft to the East of the tower, so a change to RW27 is sensible, as most aircraft will use Foxtrot South Hold.

There will be the odd exception to this, but based on the forecast, this is the plan.
The F-86 seemed really quite keen on using 09!

Thanks guys, the past 6 days really have been a mission with the heat - today was punishingly hot for me, but the flying was awesome thanks in no small part to you guys!