Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby adam1314 on Tue 17 Sep 2019, 12:00 am

Just wondering who is going to Athen’s flying week this weekend. It is my first time and I’ve got spotter package for Sat, Sun and Monday. Can anyone who has been to this show share some experience and tips?
User avatar
adam1314

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby Chrisse on Tue 17 Sep 2019, 4:00 am

You took care of my biggest piece of advice: get an enclosure. it's useful because you'll be on the crowdline which is nice for the taxy shots, but also because you'll have at least a chance you'll find a place to shelter from the sun.
User avatar
Chrisse

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby adam1314 on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 2:04 am

Chrisse wrote:You took care of my biggest piece of advice: get an enclosure. it's useful because you'll be on the crowdline which is nice for the taxy shots, but also because you'll have at least a chance you'll find a place to shelter from the sun.

Thanks a lot, mate. I have got the spotter package something like FRIAT. Is this the enclosure you talked about? The weather seems sunny the whole weekend and as far as I know, there is a shelter near to the grandstand.
User avatar
adam1314

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby Chrisse on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 7:00 am

That is the one indeed. Enjoy it! I've never done the spotters pack there, standing in that sun for more than the weekend show is more than my body can handle.

Also, may I suggest trying some of the showground catering? I've never tried it (again, high temps and my body don't mix), but it always smells absolutely delicious!
User avatar
Chrisse

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby RichPittman on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 10:59 am

Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"
User avatar
RichPittman
UKAR Staff

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby adam1314 on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 1:10 pm

Chrisse wrote:That is the one indeed. Enjoy it! I've never done the spotters pack there, standing in that sun for more than the weekend show is more than my body can handle.

Also, may I suggest trying some of the showground catering? I've never tried it (again, high temps and my body don't mix), but it always smells absolutely delicious!


Thanks a lot, mate
User avatar
adam1314

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby adam1314 on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 1:15 pm

RichPittman wrote:A bit of an insight

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82223&p=843141&hilit=Athens+flying+week#p843141


Thank you, Rich. Great shots. I don't have much holiday left so I am unable to attend the arrival days. I hope the departure day is as good as the RIAT one.

One question, in order to avoid long queues, when do you reckon to arrive at the gate during the weekend? Their website said the gate will open 9am.

Cheers,
Weiwei
User avatar
adam1314

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby Chrisse on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 1:18 pm

If memory serves, we arrived at the base around 9 last year and had no queue at all, parked in the first or second row of cars. In the evening, it is a different story, unless you decide to depart before the end of the pyro displays.
User avatar
Chrisse

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby adam1314 on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 1:26 pm

Chrisse wrote:If memory serves, we arrived at the base around 9 last year and had no queue at all, parked in the first or second row of cars. In the evening, it is a different story, unless you decide to depart before the end of the pyro displays.

Cheers, Chrisse:)
User avatar
adam1314

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby Chrisse on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 1:36 pm

Honestly, sit back, relax and enjoy your time there :smile:
User avatar
Chrisse

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Postby frank on Wed 01 Jan 2020, 2:57 pm

adam1314 wrote:
Chrisse wrote:You took care of my biggest piece of advice: get an enclosure. it's useful because you'll be on the crowdline which is nice for the taxy shots, but also because you'll have at least a chance you'll find a place to shelter from the sun.

Thanks a lot, mate. I have got the spotter package something like FRIAT. Is this the enclosure you talked about? The weather seems sunny the whole weekend and as far as I know, there is a shelter near to the grandstand.


Hi Adam
I wonder if you could share your experiences with us - looking at the 2020 calendar this might be something I would be interested in. I can see from Rich Pitman`s post in 2018 that it wasn't easy to get any F4 shots. Did that improve any in 2019. Also any possibility of sharing some of your photos as well
many thanks Frank
frank


Return to European Events

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clearstone and 1 guest