Zeltweg AirPower 2013

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Mictheslik

Zeltweg AirPower 2013

Post by Mictheslik »

Can't see a thread for this usually brilliant show, this year taking place on the 28th and 29th June.

Just booked my tickets. Will only be doing one day (unless the weather's particularly nice :P)

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

p2philip

Re: Zeltweg AirPower 2013

Post by p2philip »

If you go one day, then choose friday to avoid the huge crowd on sat.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Just ben trying to read up on this. WIll be my first time this year. The talk about being hardly able to move on the Saturday and miles of traffic has led me to think this won't be a family weekend but rather me alone camping! Then I saw this off the 2011 website 'Please note that there is only used water and no shower facilities at the two campsites.' WTF!!!!

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

My current plan is to do a day trip from Vienna on the train. It's about 2/3 hours each way and 30 euros IIRC.

.mic

PhantomJohn

Post by PhantomJohn »

Mictheslik wrote:Can't see a thread for this usually brilliant show, this year taking place on the 28th and 29th June.

Just booked my tickets. Will only be doing one day (unless the weather's particularly nice :P)

.mic

tickets? i thought it was free ?

Have you a link to the website ? thanks

pj

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

I thought the same. I think he his talking about his air/rail tickets.

Not knowing much about Zeltweg I may do the same as when I go to Waddington, park 5kms or so away and take the bike off the car and cycle the rest of the way.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

Sorry, yes....by tickets I meant plane and hotel :D

Don't think the 2013 website is up yet :)

.mic

mozzer

Post by mozzer »

In 2011 the Friday was busy but the Saturday was just absolutely rammed. The station after the show was also jammed so make sure u get there in plenty of time for your train back.

I will be going back again this year as it was a great show.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

And now I see Iron Maiden are playing at Piestany airport in Slovakia the night before. A late night followed by an early start! When on earth did rock concerts start being held on Thursdays and airshows on Fridays for christ sake!!!!

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Traveller wrote:'Please note that there is only used water and no shower facilities at the two campsites.' WTF!!!!

This is because the 'campsites' are not real campsites but just fields on which
camping is permitted during the show. I think it is more meant for caravans instead of tents hence the missing facilities.

Traveller wrote:Not knowing much about Zeltweg I may do the same as when I go to Waddington, park 5kms or so away and take the bike off the car and cycle the rest of the way.

A motorway exit is close to the base which is a good thing because all other surrounding roads are small and could not handle all the traffic during the show. It can happen that you have to park quite far away from the entrance gates in one of the fields (there is a parking fee btw. roughly 6 Euros normally) so taking a bike along is a good idea. But, as always at big events like this, you can avoid traffic jams and long distance walks by being early - it always worked for me even on the busy Saturday.

Leadfoot

Post by Leadfoot »

p2philip wrote:If you go one day, then choose friday to avoid the huge crowd on sat.

Agreed. The crowd was absolutely massive on Saturday.
Parking was 7 EUR in 2009, and 10 EUR in 2011, I guess it won't be getting cheaper this year.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

I just found an article on the Austrian news provider ORF stating that the flying display will be shorter this year lasting from 9 to 5 o'clock. It is also mentioned that some participants from European and non-European countries are confirmed already and will be announced at least by mid march. The report also claims that the Croatian display team Wings of Storm have declined the invitation and the participation of the Patrouille de France is likely. According to the military head of the planning team the Austrian Airforce will as usual show a interception demonstration with the EF as well as airfield attack with choppers and troops.
Furthermore the Army will for the first time also display ground vehicles and tanks in the static.On the ground some things will be present that have "never been here before".

Ok, not really precise information but this should be reliable as it comes from a high rank military and it is good to know planning is going ahead as it is fairly quiet at this stage. Don't really know what to think of the shorter display time, as there is not a real reason mentioned....also I hope that last sentence refers to an aircraft and not the tanks...

Here is the original text in German:
http://news.orf.at/stories/2165520/
I'll keep you updated if there is anything newsworhy.

emkey83

Post by emkey83 »

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

+ Patrouille Suisse
+ F-18
+ Puma

Good stuff Swiss Air Force!! :clap:

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

+ Swiss Hunter Team
+ Slovak MiG-29 (according to scramble.nl)

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Apparently no Frecce Tricolori, although I still have some hope as they have no display in their schedule on that very date yet.

But something from Reparto Sperimentale di Volo, so maybe Eurofighter or Spartan or both...

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Apparently no Frecce Tricolori, although I still have some hope as they have no display in their schedule on that very date yet.

But something from Reparto Sperimentale di Volo, so maybe Eurofighter or Spartan or both...

Kieran

Post by Kieran »

Frecce are now confirmed!

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Kieran wrote:Frecce are now confirmed!

Where? Zeltweg is still not on the official page...
http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/Eventi ... 0Nazionale

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Kieran wrote:http://www.airholic.it/air/?p=4068

Thanks, I'll wait for the date to appear in the official page though.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Then you will be pleased now because the official page also shows Zeltweg.

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Chrisse wrote:Then you will be pleased now because the official page also shows Zeltweg.

Thanks, I believe you guys but still don`t see it:
http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/Eventi ... ame=Estero

This is the official IAF page or not!? Still shows only 3 Frecce shows abroad and Zeltweg is not listed.... :dizzy:

alizam

Post by alizam »

Apparently italian RSV intend to participate

http://www.airholic.it/air/?page_id=3828