Airpower '16

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
davidjones533

Re: Airpower '16

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Best haircut wins! :hypno: :hide:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Can you imagine how the CAA would react if the paperwork for something like this dropped on their desk? :grin:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Wes_Howes wrote:Can you imagine how the CAA would react if the paperwork for something like this dropped on their desk? :grin:

Exactly my reaction - could have been one of the largest mass heart-attacks in history! :grin:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Last tickets available:

http://www.airpower.gv.at/en/fanzone/spotters.html

5 days is overrated, I recommend 2 days ticket and first 2 days to stay at Flatschacherweg. Sunday was waste of money in the past, unfortunately. Interesting stuff always departed on Monday!

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

Looks like Slovak and Polish mig-29 flying... that makes 9 fast Jets flying if confirmed! :-) also worth mentioning is a NATO e-3 and German Tornado and p-3 static!

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

well after opting out of many Zeltwegs because of the high summer sun, I decided this Week that I will go to Zeltweg show

Has anyone any good links to photos and spotters advice/blogs from previous editions please?
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

monographix

Post by monographix »

Yes some input from previous visitors would be useful.
The spotters tickets were limited and they were sold in ... minutes.
Any advice on good spots for photography would be appreciated :) ( Remembering Ostrava where the best spot is just some field near the runway, away from the crowds :) )

monographix

Post by monographix »

frank wrote:
Nielis wrote:Can anybody advise if the spotterspackage is worth it? What kind of privilages do you have compared to being outside the base during the arrival days?

Personal view here - the boundary fence is closer to the piano keys so most of my arrival shots have the wire fence and the aircraft fairly low. Outside base is jammed pack but if you want aircraft in the air then that's where I would go. On base we got taken round in a army vehicle to the other side to take photos of the static helos and obviously taxiing shot. So in the end depends what you want.
Would like to hear others views

taken round in a army vehicle is if you have spotter ticket?

p2philip

Post by p2philip »

For arrival and training days I usually go to Flatschacher Strasse road which is very near to the 26 end of the runway (90% movements from that side usually) - you get really close to landing and lining up aircraft there but it does get very crowded and to capture aircraft lining up a ladder is needed. Fence is not very high, I managed to get decent shots of planes on the taxiway by standing on my folding chair. No facilities there except locals selling drinks but toilets and food are available in walking distance in the village. Also the road directly below the approach is closed off by military guards only when there is no activity it is possible to cross to the other side. There I continued to walk towards Flatschach village and positioned myself somewhere in the fields between the motorway and the hangars (check google maps). Got some good pictures there of displaying aircraft but the view towards the west is obstructed by trees so you need a fast reaction when shooting.

I spent all showdays inside so far because thats where the light is in your back most of the day and the hills provide the well known background. The crowd line is right at the taxiway, so from the very front it is possible to capture almost all aircraft taxiing back after their display. You also have a good view of the runway there, only obstructed my some press tents in the middle. On the west end of the field (still inside showground) are some hills that are further away from the display line but provide an elevated position with good views over the whole area and also good opportunities for photos if the heat haze is not too strong. This place is also popular.
It is possible to get really great pictures from the normal showground area, the only downside are the massive crowds (and too loud narration speakers) - so go there early, and if possible not alone! When you are forced to head to the toilet at one point you will not make it back to the front...speaking of experience there. :grin:

Will try some spots opposite the airfield this time, the positions there near the villages Rattenberg and Flatschach are elevated and offer a good overview but are quite far from the runway (and backlit). But jets will at times go right overhead during their routine I imagine!

Hope this helps, have fun guys!!! :smile:

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Can anyone supply the radio freqs for Zeltweg please?
I can only find the civil frequencies online

cheers Rich

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Radar 129.475 (civil) and 135.275 (standby/military?)
Tower: 118.700 (civil) and 135.275 (military)
Ground: 123.500 (civil?) and 121.400 (military?)

I don't think they use UHF at all in Switzerland!

Oh, and it's between a 4000 and 58000 Euro fine if you're caught listening in to military communications, it would appear! :hide:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:Radar 129.475 (civil) and 135.275 (standby/military?)
Tower: 118.700 (civil) and 135.275 (military)
Ground: 123.500 (civil?) and 121.400 (military?)

I don't think they use UHF at all in Switzerland!

Oh, and it's between a 4000 and 58000 Euro fine if you're caught listening in to military communications, it would appear! :hide:

It was in Austria last time I went there? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Thanks Chris

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

capercaillie wrote:It was in Austria last time I went there? :dunno:

I blame Brexit :whistle:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Hampshire Aviation wrote:
capercaillie wrote:It was in Austria last time I went there? :dunno:

I blame Brexit :whistle:
I blame mixing up Payerne and Zeltweg.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Recent press releases detail that a Austrian EF2000 & Red Bull Alpha Jet will be flying in formation with a Hot Air balloon to open the show! And that there will be a mini-Tiger Meet in the static displays.

Also, the Spanish EF-18A seems to have gone from flying to static on the website.

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Understandable but still gutting, haven't seen them since they last displayed at RIAT (97?) :sad:

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

davidjones533 wrote:UK
EH101 / Merlin (S) - I'm particularly dubious about this being a RN example despite the pictures

More chance of it being a grey Merlin HM2 than a green Merlin HC3!

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Really looking forward to this but the last Month or so they haven't really kicked on with the participation unless they haven't announced it!

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

airshowinfo.hu have still got the Slovak Fulcrum listed as TBC, doesn't appear on the official Airpower list currently. That'd be the icing on the cake for me.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

PeterR wrote:Austrian EF2000 & Red Bull Alpha Jet will be flying in formation with a Hot Air balloon to open the show!

Worlds slowest High Alpha pass? :lol: