90th anniversary Swedish Air Force Malmen 27-28 August

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
st24

Re: 90th anniversary Swedish Air Force Malmen 27-28 August

Post by st24 »

Agg wrote:Any good spots outside the fence?

It's good by the museum....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

john001 wrote:
Agg wrote:Any good spots outside the fence?

Are you in the spotters group?

Danish Sea Hawk Cancelled

Yeah, thought it was full, but just got a mail saying I was in.

st24

Post by st24 »

Very hot here :sweat: great to see a Hunter display again!

st24

Post by st24 »

Great weekend with Mr zigzag, Saturdays weather (gale force wind aside) and spotter opportunities were awesome. Some superb flying and rare birds made even Sunday's dull and damp conditions tolerable. Home team did their tax payers and visitors proud, we were treated royally... :king: :worship: :up:

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

I was only able to go yesterday, and, like you say, the weather really wasn't good for photography with dull grey clouds and flat lighting all day - it was still a nice day out though, I especially liked the home teams demo with eight Blackhawks and two A109s. The Viggen was really tame yesterday though, I get that it's one of a kind, but so are the Tunnan and the Draken and they were thrown around all over the place.

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

The good Major did well. A fully successful trip, a lot of fun. Well done all.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

john001

Post by john001 »

Did anyone go inside? If so was the display far away (except helicopters) - the Gripen four at times seemed quite distant from the spotters area .

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

We were inside on Sunday due to the cloud cover, the displays werent as far from the crowd as they seemed from the spotter area, though having said that they were too far away for photography (not that it was worth it in the conditions). It was strange on the inside facing the runway for take off and then turning round to watch the display, quite the strangest display lines Ive seen. The helicopter assault was excellent from the crowdline.

A great weekend, hats off to the Swedish Airforce and the Major :rock: , great relaxed organisation and access for us photographers, Saturday in particular will live long in the memory :biggrin: .

Ill be back.
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Yes,it is a strange display line,had the same problem when visited for SAAB show few years back,helicopters would display within airfield boundary but jets were miles away on different axis,only decent shots were basically take off / landing !

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

The display lines were very strange. But from the spotters area, they were just fine. In fact some passes were closer than normal uk shows, and a few aircraft came directly overhead. On Sunday the slower acts were closer than i expected. Static was all that i was after on Sunday, the only flying i wanted was the Saab B17 which i caught coming in. Cool to see the Congo UN Tunnan and the Sabreliner Outside. I thought Gizmos display was the best ive seen from the Belgians, and the Finnish Hornet demo rocked. Heritage pass was beautiful. Recommend a trip!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

The weird display lines are quite common in Sweden, but Malmen was in a league of it's own, with the aircraft taking off in one direction, landing in the opposite direction and displaying on a display line going across the runway.

john001

Post by john001 »

Looks like Ostrava also has a different 'display' line. Something that may be considered more in the Uk and some airfields.