International Sanicole Airshow, 8 & 10 September 2017 (BE)

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Minigill

Re: International Sanicole Airshow, 8 & 10 September 2017 (B

Post by Minigill »

Thinking of going to the show (first timer!). Making a long weekend of things, where is nice town/city to stay (picturesque for photo's!) ?

Say about an hour ish away from the show would be fine, got the car.

Gill

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Hasselt is quite nice, but beware of the funfair in town complicating traffic on Saturday evening. Within an hour's drive, you also have Leuven where there's plenty of cool people :whistle: :grin:
On the other side of the border, people always take a liking to Maastricht.

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Chrisse wrote:Hasselt is quite nice, but beware of the funfair in town complicating traffic on Saturday evening. Within an hour's drive, you also have Leuven where there's plenty of cool people :whistle: :grin:

perhaps a nice Belgian beer brewery?
| Frysian Flag 2020 | Erlanger Bergkirchweih | RIAT 2020 | Sanicole 2020

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Chrisse wrote:Hasselt is quite nice, but beware of the funfair in town complicating traffic on Saturday evening. Within an hour's drive, you also have Leuven where there's plenty of cool people :whistle: :grin:

perhaps a nice Belgian beer brewery?

Minigill

Post by Minigill »

Another question ! Is the Spotters Day a full day ? What normally happens on this day ?

Gill

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

It's a full day but it's not an airshow. The aircraft mainly just depart and recover to KB, a couple did a few passes the last time I went in 2015. You can wander around the base (to a certain extent) , getting shots of the aircraft parked up and taxiing to and from the runway

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

There may be some demos from the Belgian Air Force as in 2015. The F-16 Demo calendar appears to indicate this maybe the case. But as Wes says it is mainly just a oppotunity to watch the rehearsal and other supporting movements for Sanicole. The based F-16 units usually pull out their specially marked aircraft too for static dipslay alongside the airshow particpants.

There are usually some Squadron and other aviation related stalls and some food/drink outlets as well.

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Wes_Howes wrote:It's a full day but it's not an airshow. The aircraft mainly just depart and recover to KB, a couple did a few passes the last time I went in 2015. You can wander around the base (to a certain extent) , getting shots of the aircraft parked up and taxiing to and from the runway

So, they are not rehearsing at KB? I'm going but was under the impression they do there practice on saturday at KB. :dunno:

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Not the last time I went, you could see the displays (just about) practising over Sanicole but very few displayed over KB. From memory, the T-28, the Tigers (home team F-16s) and the Connie did a few passes but not full displays.

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Wes_Howes wrote:Not the last time I went, you could see the displays (just about) practising over Sanicole but very few displayed over KB. From memory, the T-28, the Tigers (home team F-16s) and the Connie did a few passes but not full displays.

Bummer :sad:
I'm quite surprised about it actually, as they are selling it like a real 'event' and not just some standard take-offs/landings.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

henk99 wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:Not the last time I went, you could see the displays (just about) practising over Sanicole but very few displayed over KB. From memory, the T-28, the Tigers (home team F-16s) and the Connie did a few passes but not full displays.

I'm quite surprised about it actually, as they are selling it like a real 'event' and not just some standard take-offs/landings.

Relax - the Saturday at KB is still a very good day, just no practices (why would there be - it's literally about a 20-sec flight for a fast jet to hot-foot it over to Sanicole to do a practice display at the actual display venue).

As others have said, it's more an opportunity to shoot any (static) aircraft which have already arrived, whilst other aircraft will arrive for the show on the Saturday, and because of the layout at KB you can get very close to the taxiways which allows for some excellent photographic opportunities.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

henk99 wrote:
Wes_Howes wrote:It's a full day but it's not an airshow. The aircraft mainly just depart and recover to KB, a couple did a few passes the last time I went in 2015. You can wander around the base (to a certain extent) , getting shots of the aircraft parked up and taxiing to and from the runway

So, they are not rehearsing at KB? I'm going but was under the impression they do there practice on saturday at KB. :dunno:

No, they have to practice at the display location which is Sanicole. Not very useful rehearsing on location if you use a different location :) You do get to see them nice and close when they pass by on the taxyway.

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Skyflash wrote:
henk99 wrote:

Relax - the Saturday at KB is still a very good day, just no practices (why would there be - it's literally about a 20-sec flight for a fast jet to hot-foot it over to Sanicole to do a practice display at the actual display venue).

As others have said, it's more an opportunity to shoot any (static) aircraft which have already arrived, whilst other aircraft will arrive for the show on the Saturday, and because of the layout at KB you can get very close to the taxiways which allows for some excellent photographic opportunities.

Indeed, I'm certainly not knocking the spotters day! I've bought the three day ticket and very much looking forward to each day. :smile: The atmosphere at KB is far more relaxed than a normal airshow, unless you're trying to get to the "Pig Pen", next to the runway. IMO, it's not worth the hassle fighting to get there.

henk99

Post by henk99 »

Ok, understood. I'm not saying it's not a nice event either!! :surrender:

I just had a different understanding of the event, but it's all clear now. I have been to Spottersdays at KB a couple of times before (NTM, Belgian Airshow), so I know the venue and the nice taxi layout. This is the first time I visit it for the Sanicole airshow.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

You know what is particularly "nice" about it in my opinion? It gives a different viewpoint of the show on Sunday as you get to see certain displays prepare for their show at Sanicole. It's sort of a "behind-the-scenes". Two days, two very different experiences, rather than a carboncopy :) For photographers, it brings variety to the sort of images the weekend can provide.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

IMHO, the whole weekend works really well, a sunset show (something very different) , then a really relaxed day at KB and then a full show on the Sunday, top stuff
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

pbeardmore wrote:IMHO, the whole weekend works really well, a sunset show (something very different) , then a really relaxed day at KB and then a full show on the Sunday, top stuff

Very much this.

Which is why I'm kinda gutted that I'm almost certainly not going to make it this year... :sad:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

What are photographic conditions like at Sanicole. The airfield seems very small and you will be face south. I understand nobody likes to talk about off site "naught" fields but what are the options.
From those that have visited before what time does the flying usually finish and how long do you guys allow get away and the drive to the car ferry ?

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

DOUGHNUT wrote:What are photographic conditions like at Sanicole. The airfield seems very small and you will be face south.

For the sunset show, it's really not a problem. They are tricky on the Sunday but not impossible. The show ground is quite crowded in places but there spaces usually further to the eastern end.

I understand nobody likes to talk about off site "naught" fields but what are the options.

There are none, the airfield is situated in a military training area.

From those that have visited before what time does the flying usually finish and how long do you guys allow get away and the drive to the car ferry ?

I can't remember what time the show was scheduled to finish but we left a little early in 2015 and made it to Calais for the 22.00 Chunnel Train. (With plenty of time to spare I might add)

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

The Royal Netherlands air force is sending a Chinook for the static. Not sure I mentioned this already but the Bronco will be static aswell.

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/sanicoleairshow/posts/1342621759162610:0[/fb-post]

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Prize draw

If you haven't bought your ticket yet, make sure to get them before May 31. Not only do you get a nice discount, but you are also entered into a prizedraw to win a flight in a Grob 109 with Guy Westgate. That means you can look just like me ;)

frank

Post by frank »

DOUGHNUT wrote:What are photographic conditions like at Sanicole. The airfield seems very small and you will be face south. I understand nobody likes to talk about off site "naught" fields but what are the options.

From my experience photography was very poor - south facing and sun being lower in September. Another potential hazard is a mist or haarg that can settle over that region at that time of year. Crowd line is fairly flat with no elevated vantage points and crowded. I no longer go for those reasons.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

frank wrote:
DOUGHNUT wrote:What are photographic conditions like at Sanicole. The airfield seems very small and you will be face south. I understand nobody likes to talk about off site "naught" fields but what are the options.

From my experience photography was very poor - south facing and sun being lower in September. Another potential hazard is a mist or haarg that can settle over that region at that time of year. Crowd line is fairly flat with no elevated vantage points and crowded. I no longer go for those reasons.

I was there for the spotters day in 2015, and the mist was down on my arrival, at around 08:00 when the Dutch spitfire did a belting display at what seemed 50ft!, a few arrivals happened and a couple of departures, but by 12:30 all the mist had been burned away and it was a clear blue sky for the airfield beat up by 4 F16's and main events of the day.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Not great admittedly. South facing and as other have mentioned, the fog and haze can be an issue, but for the entry price can you really complain about the line up?!
I was happy enough with my photos from last year.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

frank

Post by frank »

Red Dragon wrote:
frank wrote:

I was there for the spotters day in 2015, and the mist was down on my arrival, at around 08:00 when the Dutch spitfire did a belting display at what seemed 50ft!, a few arrivals happened and a couple of departures, but by 12:30 all the mist had been burned away and it was a clear blue sky for the airfield beat up by 4 F16's and main events of the day.

Do you mean spotters day at KB or practice day at Sanicole? Two very different locations wrt sun etc.