Radom Air Show 2018 (100th Anniversary of Polish Air Force)

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
AARDVARK

Re: Radom Air Show 2018 (100th Anniversary of Polish Air For

Post by AARDVARK »

What’s a bit confusing is the list states the SU-22 and Mig-29 will be on static display ,ism assuming that they already have 1 or 2 airframes at the airfield??

Bokimon

Post by Bokimon »

Mee too, I am travelling all the way from Western Canada to see things I would never ever see in my entire life on my side of the ocean. These groundings and cancellations of 21/22/25/29 doesn't sit well with me, especially after I will be spending around $2000 to do this trip with all my flights and hotels and transport booked... Fingers crossed for some more liftings.

Mr. Crusher

Post by Mr. Crusher »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Mr. Crusher wrote:The only surprise for me is lack of Slovak Mig-29. I don't know why it isn't here, but hope it will be added...

Perhaps also grounded until the Polish Air Force find out what happened in their MiG-29 crash?

I read on the Polish forums that they aren't grounded because of this crash, but are "unable to fly" from other reasons. Slovakia has got problem even with a duty pair (sorry, don't know how to translate it into English, hope you know what I mean). It looks like situation in Slovak Air Force is really bad and the only Fulcrum that may appear at Radom is Polish Fulcrum.

That's what I read on the Internet, there isn't any official Slovak statement.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

It’s still a great show with some top acts and rare stuff,problem I have is I kinda saw most of this at RIAT and more,so do I fork out £500 plus to attend for RIAT 2,decisions??

Bokimon

Post by Bokimon »

Do you think there will be a positive change in the next month where one or two of the acts may infact be cleared to attend or perform at Radom?
I am looking at the Polish groundings in particular.
And has there been a history of groundings for the Migs and Sukhois years ago?

Mr. Crusher

Post by Mr. Crusher »

In my opinion - yes, they will perform, but I also don't want to disappoint you if they don't appear. Su-22 and Mig-29 have never left Radom Air Show, it's hard to think that they would miss 100th Anniversary of Polish Independence, Polish Air Force and Polish aviation.

Mig-29 were grounded few months ago after crash near Mińsk Mazowiecki. They started flying after 2-3 weeks. I'm afraid that now they may have too little time for practise (on the other hand there would be a chance to see dogfight or close air support mission which are always very spectacular). Su-22 pilots don't need much time for trainings, their displays are different and I think they aren't even demo pilots so their situation is a bit different.

That's what I think, of course I could be completely wrong. Everything should be clear on August 15th after flypast in Warsaw and three days later after Gdynia Aerobaltic airshow (Mig-29 is one of participants).

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Surely the Mig 29 demo team know the routine inside out,I mean they have performed it a number of times this year already,are they actually back flying yet ?

Sussexlad

Post by Sussexlad »

AARDVARK wrote:It’s still a great show with some top acts and rare stuff,problem I have is I kinda saw most of this at RIAT and more,so do I fork out £500 plus to attend for RIAT 2,decisions??

You should go as after all, the planes and show are just a small part of the overall 'MILFY Experience'! https://www.facebook.com/groups/268895376611109/ :yahoo: :rock: :lol:
https://tim-beach-photography.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

From https://theaviationist.com/2018/07/06/polish-air-force-mig-29-fulcrum-crashes-killing-pilot/

According to the foreign media quoted by a former Polish jet pilot, Michał Fiszer, in his interview for the TVN24 outlet, the pilot belonged to the demo team showcasing the Fulcrums on air shows. The MoD release suggests that the late pilot was quite an experienced aviator, with 800 hours logged in the air and 500 of those were logged on the Fulcrum

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

clearstone wrote:From https://theaviationist.com/2018/07/06/polish-air-force-mig-29-fulcrum-crashes-killing-pilot/

According to the foreign media quoted by a former Polish jet pilot, Michał Fiszer, in his interview for the TVN24 outlet, the pilot belonged to the demo team showcasing the Fulcrums on air shows. The MoD release suggests that the late pilot was quite an experienced aviator, with 800 hours logged in the air and 500 of those were logged on the Fulcrum

Ooooo,I didn’t know the Pilot that was killed was the actual Demo pilot for this year,we’re they attending an airshow or practice ,tragic situation alround ,well if this is the case and there was no understudy then we definitely won’t get a Fulcrum demo display.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Sussexlad wrote:
AARDVARK wrote:It’s still a great show with some top acts and rare stuff,problem I have is I kinda saw most of this at RIAT and more,so do I fork out £500 plus to attend for RIAT 2,decisions??

You should go as after all, the planes and show are just a small part of the overall 'MILFY Experience'! https://www.facebook.com/groups/268895376611109/ :yahoo: :rock: :lol:

MILFY RULES!

Mr. Crusher

Post by Mr. Crusher »

He wasn't demo pilot...

AARDVARK wrote:are they actually back flying yet ?

No, they aren't.

Pablo Zibi

Post by Pablo Zibi »

AARDVARK wrote:
clearstone wrote:From https://theaviationist.com/2018/07/06/polish-air-force-mig-29-fulcrum-crashes-killing-pilot/

Ooooo,I didn’t know the Pilot that was killed was the actual Demo pilot for this year,we’re they attending an airshow or practice ,tragic situation alround ,well if this is the case and there was no understudy then we definitely won’t get a Fulcrum demo display.

This information was untrue, and later was denied. The pilot who died in accident was one of two new pilots from Malbork choosen to obtain display qualifications for this season. This info comes few hours after accident and was one of the first , so no everything was clear then. We still have at least two demo pilots in Malbork and I think at least one in Mińsk Mazowiecki.

Unfortunetly it seems to be a problem with ejection seats in MiGs-29 and Su-22 (same model) so that's why both types are currently grounded. We don't have any disaster with MiGs-29 for about 27 year, and in last 10 months we lost 2, with similar circumstances with emergency ejection.

Right now there is a stron will to get them back to air, becasue of this anniversary, and (which is even more important) they are still about half of our jet fighters so...
I think if they allow them to fly, we can expect both displays (or even 4, MiG-29 solo Malbork, MiG-29 solo Mińsk Maz. , Su-22 pair, and MiG-29 Mińsk with XA41 acrobatic plane pair routine).

stealth18

Post by stealth18 »

Mr. Crusher wrote:Mig-29 were grounded few months ago after crash near Mińsk Mazowiecki. They started flying after 2-3 weeks. I'm afraid that now they may have too little time for practise (on the other hand there would be a chance to see dogfight or close air support mission which are always very spectacular). Su-22 pilots don't need much time for trainings, their displays are different and I think they aren't even demo pilots so their situation is a bit different..

It's Su-22 Demo Team of course they have Demo pilots...

stealth18

Post by stealth18 »

Mr. Crusher wrote:
I read on the Polish forums that they aren't grounded because of this crash, but are "unable to fly" from other reasons. Slovakia has got problem even with a duty pair (sorry, don't know how to translate it into English, hope you know what I mean). It looks like situation in Slovak Air Force is really bad and the only Fulcrum that may appear at Radom is Polish Fulcrum.

That's what I read on the Internet, there isn't any official Slovak statement.

The reason that the Slovak Mig-29 isn't displaying this year is the fact that they are training a new demo pilot and they limited the displays this year. The only foreign display of the Slovak Mig-29 will be NATO days in Ostrava.

Bokimon

Post by Bokimon »

^ Those are valid points, I guess it just might not meant to have been for this year for the Migs..
Something like an ejection seat issue is pretty serious and likely difficult to fix since it is tied to the very survival of a pilot.
The absense of Front line premier Polish and the Slovak as well as a classic cold war beauty of Romania will be tough to swallow, especially when I have such high expectations.. since I'm coming from 10000km away.
Sigh I may have to think of a revisit in a later year unless these plan to be retired in the near future :( :(

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

I understand what everyone is concerned about and if you travel great distances, it can be disappointing but can I point to the Bucharest topic in this forum part? Two people raving despite the airforce losing its two jet solo demos (IAR-99 and Mig-21) due to recent accidents, one of which was fatal. It certainly doesn't seem like it hampered the enjoyment of the foreign fans who attended. Maybe give Radom the benefit of the doubt!

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Chrisse wrote:I understand what everyone is concerned about and if you travel great distances, it can be disappointing but can I point to the Bucharest topic in this forum part? Two people raving despite the airforce losing its two jet solo demos (IAR-99 and Mig-21) due to recent accidents, one of which was fatal. It certainly doesn't seem like it hampered the enjoyment of the foreign fans who attended. Maybe give Radom the benefit of the doubt!

Indeed mate,sure it will be a great show regardless,my issue was more of a monetary one,I guess one of the main draws for attending was the variatable feast of soviet aircraft that were billed to perform in the flying display,what with the tragic loss of the MIG-21 and MIG-29 and susequent knock on affect that has taken with the SU-22 and the SU-25 now static only (if it doesn’t cancel!)it leaves,at present if stays this way,just the
SU-27,which is a star at any show on its own,but I have been fortunate to have seen this twice already this year,along with seeing most of the other acts billed at least once.

I would certainly recommend anyone else who hasn’t seen all the great lineup billled to attend,even if the Mig’s and Sukious don’t fly. :up:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Wasn't aimed at you or anyone in particular for that matter, I do understand the "letdown". I too had some doubts what the cancellations would mean for BIAS for instance, but as it turned out, other AF assets filled the gaps. ( those F-16 pilots probably never expected such a busy weekend with displays and role demos throughout)

Who knows, there may be room for other rarities like an Mi-24 formation performance, W-3 SAR or something along those lines. Or an SH-2 demo, in which case I will wish all the worst on you lot! ;)

Airshow programmes are a living thing almost and how often have I not seen things that looked great in paper turn out poorly and vice versa? We've all been there.

Mr. Crusher

Post by Mr. Crusher »

Some interesting information:

- military part starts at 11:00 and will be one hour longer than usual (Aero Club part starts at 9:00)
- at the beggining of military part there will be huge flypast ("earthquake" ;))
- Team Orlik will perform with two Harvards (I saw their display last month and it's wonderful)
- E-3 Sentry will be on static in Dęblin on Thursday and Friday (there will be celebrations with Team Iskry and more Polish stuff), on Saturday and Sunday will make low pass in Radom
- the organisers still didn't get an answer from Romanian Air Force about Mig-21 display
- USAF F-22 and F-35 will be based in Europe during airshow, organisers would like to see these aircraft in Radom (probably like everyone :P), still waiting for USAF decision

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

Regarding the above comment about "static at Deblin" Anybody have confirmed information about public access to Deblin for this "static display" on Thursday / Friday

F-BSHM

Post by F-BSHM »

Thank you very much for this information Mr Cusher !
I hope that the answer will be positive for the Mig !

Do you think that MiG 29 and SU22 can be in the flypast but not on dynamo display ?

Mr. Crusher

Post by Mr. Crusher »

DOUGHNUT wrote:Regarding the above comment about "static at Deblin" Anybody have confirmed information about public access to Deblin for this "static display" on Thursday / Friday

In one of the articles it says "on August 23-24 E-3 Sentry will be based at Dęblin where everyone will be able to see its interior" so I think yes, it will be open for public.

F-BSHM wrote:Do you think that MiG 29 and SU22 can be in the flypast but not on dynamo display ?

I think it's possible, but don't know how much possible. One of the members of Polish forums know many people in the Polish army and he said he will let us know about situation with Mig and Su as fast as he gets any news, so I will inform you about it :)

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

When is the big flypast planned again ?
Guess that will give us a definitive idea on the Migs and Sukious

tmattias

Post by tmattias »

Does anyone need if you're able to get out from Skaryszewska during the display? I'm planning to take a flight back home Sunday night so will have to leave around 4pm.