Belgian Air Force Days 2018 - 8th/9th Sept

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
zigzag

Re: Belgian Air Force Days 2018 - 8th/9th Sept

Post by zigzag »

Far from a vintage KB

The show has more filler than my old Vauxhall Cavalier
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

zigzag wrote:Far from a vintage KB

The show has more filler than my old Vauxhall Cavalier

And no flares!

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

True

Although 9 fast jet displays are not to be sniffed at
If you like these pics there are more utterly brilliant shots at https://www.flickr.com/photos/131094099@N08/albums
#MOT

zigzag

Post by zigzag »

I think the problem with this years show is that the displays are either FJs or small propellor filler, theres nothing inbetween such as warbirds or historic jets
#MOT

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

zigzag wrote:I think the problem with this years show is that the displays are either FJs or small propellor filler, theres nothing inbetween such as warbirds or historic jets

Yep the Mustang and Hunter on the static line would have improved the show. The good stuff was good but dragged out with plenty of mediocre stuff. And don't event get me started on the Canadian co commentator. I was pleased when our speaker stand blew down!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

The fast jet display line was pretty much in Holland.

Closest passes were at 600mm on my crop which is equivalent of 900mm and then some didn’t fill the frame (Zeus).

Clocked the Spanish Hornet takeoff at 340mm (510mm) and his close passes at 600mm (900mm).

That’s a big difference between display line and runway even when taking into account altitude.etc.

Will see what tomorrow brings, that light from 2pm onwards was awful and also helped shape opinions today. If the morning light lasts all day tomorrow it will be better.

Andy

vicarage

Post by vicarage »

Lots and lots of jets, though too many F16s. Though the Greeks did the best display. I liked the nurse aerobatics and the (derided here) Jordanian Falcons, so much better than the Red Devil’s. Bad things were petty charges for toilets, the Canadian pa idiot, music played over the announcers and the incredibly long walks each end for Parking lot A. Made a nice change from the usual uk stuff, liked the dogs and all the statics, especially the osprey, awacs and monster transport

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Dear God the Canadian wifey is irritating... Sunday show hasn’t started yet and she’s already giving me toothache!

:wall:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Skyflash wrote:Dear God the Canadian wifey is irritating... Sunday show hasn’t started yet and she’s already giving me toothache!

The background music is even more annoying.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Canuck84

Post by Canuck84 »

Skyflash wrote:Dear God the Canadian wifey is irritating... Sunday show hasn’t started yet and she’s already giving me toothache!

She's awful. I apologize to you all on behalf of my less-annoying countrymates

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Canuck84 wrote:

She's awful. I apologize to you all on behalf of my less-annoying countrymates

:grin:

No need to apologise and I’m sure she’s lovely in real life, she was just singularly unsuited to providing the commentary at a major international airshow. Not least because she appeared to possess about as much aviation knowledge as your average teaspoon.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

We hope you enjoyed you visit to the Belgian Air Force Days and seeing the variety of flying displays and the unique static aircraft. Thank you for the feedback you have given on the forum here.

One aspect in particular seems to stir some discussion and it appears to be something where the "hardened enthusiasts" differ from the feedback we have received from the larger audience. Recruitment is an important reason to hold the Belgian Air Force Days and to help drive the recruitment effort, Indira Thackorie from Canada was brought in to show that aviation is not just a man's world. This message really struck home and all day long, women and girls came by the commentator stand to meet the team. The interviews she did with performers and team members, including a female Belgian NH-90 pilot, were very well-received by the public as evidenced by the audience feedback at the email address where they could leave comments and interact with the commentary team. Surely nobody can object to the effort to link with the young audience members, girls in particular, in order to bolster airforce recruitment and inspire aviation careers?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Chrisse wrote:Surely nobody can object to the effort to link with the young audience members, girls in particular, in order to bolster airforce recruitment and inspire aviation careers?
UKARians can. Just think of the comments on Tutors in Fairford's flying display and microlights that are annually parked near the Techno Zone (with an uninspiring backdrop anyway).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Chrisse wrote:Surely nobody can object to the effort to link with the young audience members, girls in particular, in order to bolster airforce recruitment and inspire aviation careers?
UKARians can. Just think of the comments on Tutors in Fairford's flying display and microlights that are annually parked near the Techno Zone (with an uninspiring backdrop anyway).

I'm sorry but that's total codswallop, Aviodromefriend. I can't imagine anyone on here would be as ignorant as to object to the reason behind hiring Indira. If she has helped to encourage young girls to consider a career in aviation then that's great news. However to state that she was a poor commentator is a fair point - her knowledge of the displays was virtually non existent and she admitted several times that she's not interested in aircraft. For that reason I think it's valid to point out her failings as an airshow commentator, but not to criticize the reason for hiring her.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

The Baron wrote:
aviodromefriend wrote:

I'm sorry but that's total codswallop, Aviodromefriend. I can't imagine anyone on here would be as ignorant as to object to the reason behind hiring Indira. If she has helped to encourage young girls to consider a career in aviation then that's great news. However to state that she was a poor commentator is a fair point - her knowledge of the displays was virtually non existent and she admitted several times that she's not interested in aircraft. For that reason I think it's valid to point out her failings as an airshow commentator, but not to criticize the reason for hiring her.

:clap:

Very little else need be said...

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Any idea what happened to the special Alpha Jet? I thought it was going to be appearing alongside the Dark Falcon and yet there wasn't any AJs in the display :dunno:

vicarage

Post by vicarage »

Positive discrimination only works if the person you get is competent, otherwise, like here, it smacks of tokenism. When I voiced criticism here and elsewhere I refrained from mentioning gender, merely saying the Canadian commentator was bad, which was true. Its not a defence to say, yes, she was bad, but she's a woman, indeed that's the worst message to put forward.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Not Quite Stella" - Making the journey across the Channel for UK Airshow Review, Andy Evans attended all three days of the Belgian Air Force Days at Kleine-Brogel AB.

Image Image Image Image Image