AXALP 2018

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
BDL

AXALP 2018

Post by BDL »

10/11 October

Anyone going? I have a pass from she who must be and have been researching - probably easier to fly - Those that have done it before, which airport is better/easier - Geneva or Zurich? Thinking of hiring a car and driving down. So any tips gratefully accepted!

aviodromefriend

Re: AXALP 2018

Post by aviodromefriend »

BDL wrote:So any tips gratefully accepted!
Take care you have back-up plans for if the weather decides to cancel the thing on the day.

Oh, and have good shoes and clothes. Never done it, but from the reports I've seen, it is a long climb, which you should start hours before sunrise.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Rick

Post by Rick »

BDL wrote:10/11 October

Anyone going? I have a pass from she who must be and have been researching - probably easier to fly - Those that have done it before, which airport is better/easier - Geneva or Zurich? Thinking of hiring a car and driving down. So any tips gratefully accepted!

Went once and I got the bug, totally unique airshow.
I'm in no way fit and find the 2 1/2 hour climb to the normal viewing points hard work but very rewarding, or are you going to do the really tough climb to Axalps "naughty field" at Wildgarst ?
Spend a few quid on some decent hiking boots.
Be prepared to go up on any of the three show days depending on the forecast.
Tuesday is the practice day but the display is similar to the main show days.

Cheers

Rick
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

BDL

Post by BDL »

Thanks both - Flying out Tuesday, so I hope to have some luck around the airbase on Tuesday then up the mountain on weds/thurs. Flights, car and hotel booked.