Turku Airshow Finland 15/16th of June

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
Jakesplanes

Turku Airshow Finland 15/16th of June

Post by Jakesplanes »

This years annual Finnish airshow is back in Turku, a very pretty city in the south west of our very pretty country.
Last year we had the Centenary celebrations in Jyväskylä, and i know a few of the lads here made the trip over and the general consensus was that a good time was had by all. Surely we can expect more of the same.
This week, the first act was announced,
and it will be a De Havilland Vampire. The pictures show the two Vamps from the Norwegian Historical Squadron, the FB.52 and T.55 but the announcement doesnt say clearly if one or both are coming. This leads me to my usual complaint about Finland in general. We dont talk much, and our communication stinks. Dont expect a regular clear update on this show, because if it comes, it will be a first. Instead, while I will do my best to give you all updates, rely on the fact that if you come to our beautiful country you will see some cool planes and have a great time.
Most likely to feature will be our Hornets, the Midnight Hawks, a Pilatus or three, a CASA 195, a funky Learjet, some VL Vinkas, the Army NH90 and Hughs 500s.
Civil stuff will most likely include the worlds only flying Gloster Gauntlet, a couple of pretty Fouga Magisters, a VL Viima, the academy Phenom jet and the Arctic Eagles display team.
We usually have good support from Sweden so expect something fast and loud from their historical flight.
This year, the buying process to replace our Hornets continues, so it would be likely to see effort from manufacturers to show off their stuff for our HX program, and that includes the Rafale, the Super Hornet, the Eurofighter, the Gripen and the F35. Barring the latter, theyve all been a big presence at the last two years shows, and will probably be pushing even harder this year. Perhaps we will see an F35 here for the first time, we hope so. Which version turns up should be interesting as its not been clear about whether Finland want the A or C model.
So stay tuned for more updates, and welcome to Finland!
last years pics to whet your whistle at...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=81232
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Re: Turku Airshow Finland 15/16th of June

Post by Jakesplanes »

Saab B-17A confirmed.
The worlds only B-17 dive bomber is coming to Turku. It will be the first time a Saab B-17 has flown in Finnish skies since 1961. They served in the Finnish Air Force in the 1950’s.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Added on the Airforce website:
Hornet-solo
Midnight Hawks
Hawk-solo
VL Vinka-solo
Static: Hornet-, Hawk- and Grob trainers
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

RAF Typhoon confirmed as well.

FinAce

Post by FinAce »

Spotter registration begin tomorrow, Tuesday 16th.

st24

Post by st24 »

Hmm.. Here or Volkel, must admit loved my time in Finland a few years ago..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

FinAce wrote:Spotter registration begin tomorrow, Tuesday 16th.

Do you have a link?
IG profile "jakesplanes"

FinAce

Post by FinAce »

Spotter pass registration is open:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... ZIHjiT2zYg

Price is freezing - 150 eur :ghost:

---edit 23.4. ---

btw, spotter tickets are sold out now
Last edited by FinAce on Tue 23 Apr 2019, 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

FinAce wrote:Spotter pass registration is open:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... ZIHjiT2zYg

Price is freezing - 150 eur :ghost:

I can’t remember how much it was last year in Jyväskylä but it certainly wasn’t over 100e... that’s outrageous. And with no information saying what you get for your money either...
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Mr. Crusher

Post by Mr. Crusher »

+ Aerobatic Team Orlik self-confirmed

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Mr. Crusher wrote:+ Aerobatic Team Orlik self-confirmed

Cool, although you never really know what you’re gonna get with Orlik. I’ve seen a really impressive 9-ship and a really dull 3 ship. So let’s hope for the full team, they’re a great act!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Updates:
Team Orlik confirmed
Polish MiG-29 display
Yak-3 display
Me109/Buchon display. Rumors she may be in Finnish colours. Airframe unknown.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Patu

Post by Patu »

Jakesplanes wrote:Me109/Buchon display. Rumors she may be in Finnish colours. Airframe unknown.

I really hope not. Would look so wrong with that engine.

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Patu wrote:
Jakesplanes wrote:Me109/Buchon display. Rumors she may be in Finnish colours. Airframe unknown.

I really hope not. Would look so wrong with that engine.

Well they all look wrong with that engine in that case. But I think 90% of people won’t even notice.

Also, SAS Bombardier CRJ-900 open to visitors on static.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Dassault Rafale added. Three airframes from Mont de Marsa, two flying a role demo, with the third as a spare.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Finnair Airbus A350 flying display!!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

FinAce

Post by FinAce »

2 x USAF F-35A from 421 Squadron, Hill, Utah is coming via Spangdahlem. Static only.

In addition, NATO E-3A AWACS - static.

https://www.airshowturku.fi/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=115&Itemid=202

Flight program
https://www.airshowturku.fi/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=112&Itemid=156

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

That's great, I was waiting for more HX candidates to be announced, only the Super Hornet left now.

So they're bringing 'A' models, which suggests strongly that's what is being offered for HX. I understand it will probably be the most common and well developed version but I have to say I favoured the 'C' model in this case, as I did for the RAF/RN purchase. I'm sure the Suomen Ilmavoimat will continue to use road dispersed options in the future so I hope that the 'A' model will stand up to that less than ideal environment.

An interesting aside, with the Turkey S400/F35 issues, is that Finland shares hundreds of KM of border with Russia, the two main bases Rovaniemi and Kuopio are just 200km from the border and Russian radar can basically watch every military movement in the country if they wish. Which makes me wonder how America are ok with offering the F35 to Russias neighbour.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Patu

Post by Patu »

Jakesplanes wrote:That's great, I was waiting for more HX candidates to be announced, only the Super Hornet left now.

JAS-39E Gripen is missing too.

So they're bringing 'A' models, which suggests strongly that's what is being offered for HX.

A is the only viable solution for FiAF. It is the only one with integrated cannon & full 9G capability. Folding wings and arrestor hooks might be of some extra value but not enough considering the downsides.

An interesting aside, with the Turkey S400/F35 issues, is that Finland shares hundreds of KM of border with Russia, the two main bases Rovaniemi and Kuopio are just 200km from the border and Russian radar can basically watch every military movement in the country if they wish. Which makes me wonder how America are ok with offering the F35 to Russias neighbour.

It is hard for them to see the low flying planes. And I am sure F-35 will train with luneburg lenses installed during the peace time.

Also the intelligence gathering capability of F-35 could be very valuable for Finland (and USA) when the planes fly close to the Russian border.

Jakesplanes

Post by Jakesplanes »

Patu wrote:
JAS-39E Gripen is missing too.

True, in fact I don't even know if it's operational, last i heard they had got the second proto airborne. Any later news?

A is the only viable solution for FiAF. It is the only one with integrated cannon & full 9G capability. Folding wings and arrestor hooks might be of some extra value but not enough considering the downsides.

Not sure I agree, I think the advantage of the C is the sturdier undercarraige for road dispersal and the additional range the bigger wing and more fuel gives you. The main disadvantage is that there is only one user so far. The A gives you safety in numbers regarding development and access to parts and servicing.

It is hard for them to see the low flying planes. And I am sure F-35 will train with luneburg lenses installed during the peace time.

Also the intelligence gathering capability of F-35 could be very valuable for Finland (and USA) when the planes fly close to the Russian border.

I find it hard to believe that flying everyday with Luneberg lenses an aircraft is visible to radar, then removing them and the aircraft magically disappears or is unidentifiably different in radar return... but then im still to be convinced by the value of LO aircraft full stop.
Once radar tech catches up, and it surely will, you're left with an average handling aircraft with no meaningful payload. I'm sure the sensor side of the F35 is/will be game changing. But if you had to keep them running in the layby at Forssa in -30, with all that tech and that delicate coating, I think the Lightning is last on the list for Finland in my opinion.
Theexisting Hornets advantage is that they are tough as a coffin nail. Also choosing the F35 is a massive further step towards NATO that i think politically Finland can't take.
Patu mikä on sinun lempi vaihtoehto?
What are everyones opinions on these candidates?

Also good to see an E3 coming. They must have been booked for 15 shows ive been to, and cancelled every time except one, so i hope it makes it this time! some great recent additions.
IG profile "jakesplanes"

Patu

Post by Patu »

Is there a thread more suitable for this conversation?

Jakesplanes wrote:[Regarding JAS-39E]
True, in fact I don't even know if it's operational, last i heard they had got the second proto airborne. Any later news?

They just got the third prototype flying. And they were dropped from the Swiss evaluation.

I find it hard to believe that flying everyday with Luneberg lenses an aircraft is visible to radar, then removing them and the aircraft magically disappears or is unidentifiably different in radar return... but then I'm still to be convinced by the value of LO aircraft full stop.

Sorry, we may have a language barrier here. I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

Once radar tech catches up, and it surely will, you're left with an average handling aircraft with no meaningful payload.

By no means is the payload (armament or fuel) of the F-35 worse than any of the other planes. Also the handling is pretty damn good.

Patu mikä on sinun lempi vaihtoehto?

Suorituskyvyn puolesta F-35. Ulkonäön puolesta Rafale. :love:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Any idea if there's a live stream?

Patu

Post by Patu »

Abbo46 wrote:Any idea if there's a live stream?

No mentions about it anywhere so I suppose there isn't. Live streams aren't really a thing in finnish air shows. Last year was an exception as it was the centenary of FiAF.