Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Discussion forum for airshows, spotters days and other aviation events on the continent
adam1314

Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Post by adam1314 »

Just wondering who is going to Athen’s flying week this weekend. It is my first time and I’ve got spotter package for Sat, Sun and Monday. Can anyone who has been to this show share some experience and tips?

Chrisse

Re: Athen’s flying week 21st and 22nd Sep 2019

Post by Chrisse »

You took care of my biggest piece of advice: get an enclosure. it's useful because you'll be on the crowdline which is nice for the taxy shots, but also because you'll have at least a chance you'll find a place to shelter from the sun.

adam1314

Post by adam1314 »

Chrisse wrote:You took care of my biggest piece of advice: get an enclosure. it's useful because you'll be on the crowdline which is nice for the taxy shots, but also because you'll have at least a chance you'll find a place to shelter from the sun.

Thanks a lot, mate. I have got the spotter package something like FRIAT. Is this the enclosure you talked about? The weather seems sunny the whole weekend and as far as I know, there is a shelter near to the grandstand.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

That is the one indeed. Enjoy it! I've never done the spotters pack there, standing in that sun for more than the weekend show is more than my body can handle.

Also, may I suggest trying some of the showground catering? I've never tried it (again, high temps and my body don't mix), but it always smells absolutely delicious!

RichPittman

Post by RichPittman »

Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

adam1314

Post by adam1314 »

Chrisse wrote:That is the one indeed. Enjoy it! I've never done the spotters pack there, standing in that sun for more than the weekend show is more than my body can handle.

Also, may I suggest trying some of the showground catering? I've never tried it (again, high temps and my body don't mix), but it always smells absolutely delicious!

Thanks a lot, mate

adam1314

Post by adam1314 »

RichPittman wrote:A bit of an insight

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=82223&p=843141&hilit=Athens+flying+week#p843141

Thank you, Rich. Great shots. I don't have much holiday left so I am unable to attend the arrival days. I hope the departure day is as good as the RIAT one.

One question, in order to avoid long queues, when do you reckon to arrive at the gate during the weekend? Their website said the gate will open 9am.

Cheers,
Weiwei

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

If memory serves, we arrived at the base around 9 last year and had no queue at all, parked in the first or second row of cars. In the evening, it is a different story, unless you decide to depart before the end of the pyro displays.

adam1314

Post by adam1314 »

Chrisse wrote:If memory serves, we arrived at the base around 9 last year and had no queue at all, parked in the first or second row of cars. In the evening, it is a different story, unless you decide to depart before the end of the pyro displays.

Cheers, Chrisse:)

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Honestly, sit back, relax and enjoy your time there :smile:

frank

Post by frank »

adam1314 wrote:
Chrisse wrote:You took care of my biggest piece of advice: get an enclosure. it's useful because you'll be on the crowdline which is nice for the taxy shots, but also because you'll have at least a chance you'll find a place to shelter from the sun.

Thanks a lot, mate. I have got the spotter package something like FRIAT. Is this the enclosure you talked about? The weather seems sunny the whole weekend and as far as I know, there is a shelter near to the grandstand.

Hi Adam
I wonder if you could share your experiences with us - looking at the 2020 calendar this might be something I would be interested in. I can see from Rich Pitman`s post in 2018 that it wasn't easy to get any F4 shots. Did that improve any in 2019. Also any possibility of sharing some of your photos as well
many thanks Frank