All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Andyperkins

Re: Weather watch '22

Post by Andyperkins »

Bodz156 wrote:
Sun 10 Jul 2022, 5:52 pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/62116299[u][/u]

BBC weather for week ahead video ☀️☀️☀️🥵
Certainly toasty London way, times like this I’m glad I work in an air conditioned environment so from 9 till 6 I can forget about the outside world haha

JMC

Post by JMC »

Bbc now showing 36 for the Sunday. I’m bringing an umbrella to keep away those rays!

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Just planning similar ourselves JMC for Saturday. We have an umbrella that sticks in the ground that just about covers 2 of us, and is just about the limit 1.5m high. We probably wont be there early enough to be 10m near the front eiher. So is that okay to take in ? Thanks.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Yeah you'll be totally fine with that. I can't say I'm exactly relishing the temperatures that are forecast, will certainly be seeking shady spots for the afternoon viewing!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

It's very lucky there is a cold front coming through on Wednesday to get things to normal before they rise again. If that didn't happen it would probably be endless afternoon storms and low visibility right the way through.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

TheMaster wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 10:33 am
It's very lucky there is a cold front coming through on Wednesday to get things to normal before they rise again. If that didn't happen it would probably be endless afternoon storms and low visibility right the way through.

Don't forget the locusts and famine.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 10:39 am
TheMaster wrote:

Which never exactly enhance the RIAT experience...

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

Or the £12 burger and £7 ice cream. There you go, we are off..............

coanda

Post by coanda »

CJS wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 10:55 am
capercaillie wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 10:39 am
TheMaster wrote:

Which never exactly enhance the RIAT experience...
Give RIAT some credit, it's usually only raining cats and dogs.

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

At this rate it could give '89 a run for its money 🥵🥵 Boy now that WAS a scorcher!

CJS

Post by CJS »

The expected temps are changing almost constantly. Met office now thinks a max of 31 on Sunday ('feels like' a few degrees below that due to the breeze).

Personally, although it'll doubtless be uncomfortable, I think low to even mid 30s is manageable as long as you're careful - most of us have enjoyed (or endured!) that on holidays at some point. If the forecast was to shift again to mid to high 30s I think it would be really unpleasant, even with a bit of a breeze, and would probably cut quite a few people' days short. I am certainly expecting a bit of an exodus after the RAFAT this year, depending on what time they are on.

Met Check - which I think is probably funded by the Daily Express - has 37 for next Monday at present, but I'd take that with a bag of salt I think!

jonnyweb142

Post by jonnyweb142 »

I hope Water Bowsers are in plenty supply and spread across the site for you all .

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

I’m seriously thinking about knocking Sunday on the head and instead going up Friday, granted it’s half the show but the currently forecasted temps of 24-25c are right in my comfort zone and I just feel I will enjoy it far more than 8 hours in (for me) almost unbearable temps.

Will obviously make a finale decision on the Sunday morning and I hope everyone that goes has a great time.
Last edited by Andyperkins on Mon 11 Jul 2022, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

TheMaster wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 11:17 am
Or the £12 burger and £7 ice cream. There you go, we are off..............
Them £7 ice creams will still sell out though!
Fast jet fanatic.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Andyperkins wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 6:44 pm
I’m seriously thinking about knocking Sunday on the head and instead going up Friday, granted it’s half the show but the currently forecasted temps of 24-25c are right in my comfort zone and I just feel I will enjoy it far more than 8 hours in (for me) almost unbearable temps.

Will obviously make a finale decision on the Sunday morning and I hope everyone that goes has a great time.
I do wonder if it will be noticeably quieter than in the past. An extreme heat warning from the Met Office could put some off, although having to pay in advance will obviously be a factor. We'll be there come what may, but will be being extremely careful. Heatstroke is really no fun.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Sunday being the worst day, I may seek shelter in the Pimms tent. However, Saturday in the top row of the grandstand maybe bad.

I've had to change all my packed black T-Shirts and scramble to find White ones (I don't have many) And had to buy a hat with a cloth down the back to protect my neck.

Cosford 2018 was pretty hot, but this looks to top it by a lot.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Breeze might be playing a factor on Sunday. "Feel like" is 28 degrees at highest according to MET Office

BBC saying feel like 35 degrees. I wonder why such a big gap between the pair?

roger

Post by roger »

Remember, the forecast temps are in the shade, and we will be out in the sun. And the mass of concrete causes a micro-climate so that on an airfield it will always be a few degrees warmer than the local area forecast.

Hence I expect it to "feel like" considerably more than 28C.

TheMaster

Post by TheMaster »

The BBC is apparently a broadcasting organisation not a weather related one.

coanda

Post by coanda »

Netweather does a pretty good job in my experience and is forecasting much closer to the MetO than the BBC weather suggestions.

I only really put faith in 48 hours ahead but the weather pattern seems pretty settled for a while now.

Meep

Post by Meep »

CJS wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 6:36 pm
The expected temps are changing almost constantly. Met office now thinks a max of 31 on Sunday ('feels like' a few degrees below that due to the breeze).
Bear in mind those are temperatures in the shade, not out in the sun on a concrete airfield

CJS

Post by CJS »

Meep wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 9:53 pm
CJS wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 6:36 pm
Bear in mind those are temperatures in the shade, not out in the sun on a concrete airfield
Yep I'm aware of that. Hence as far as possible, the shade is where I'll be.

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

Just had a large UV golf umbrella delivered yesterday with a mount that fastens it to my chair, set it all up yesterday and it provides great shade, amazon delivered 1 day delivery so still time for the weekend visitors to bring your own shade

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 7:13 pm
And had to buy a hat with a cloth down the back to protect my neck.

That's a good idea, Southport over the week end both days and even with plenty of sun cream my neck is burnt to a cinder. I had a terrible headache Sunday evening and all day yesterday, thankfully it's cleared now.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 7:23 am
jasonT1981 wrote:
Mon 11 Jul 2022, 7:13 pm
And had to buy a hat with a cloth down the back to protect my neck.

That's a good idea, Southport over the week end both days and even with plenty of sun cream my neck is burnt to a cinder. I had a terrible headache Sunday evening and all day yesterday, thankfully it's cleared now.
Bought one of those hats for 2020, but never got to use it. Will definitely need it this year. Also considering wearing a high-wicking thin long sleeve top to keep my top-half cool. Have a Camelbak on the way too and will be taking some flavoured cordial with me so I can refill it and have less of that 'fresh from a bowser' taste. Will also have a cool box and am taking a small umbrella for if it gets a bit much.