Jersey International Air Display 2013

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Flare Path

Re: Jersey International Air Display 2013

Post by Flare Path »

Unfortunately, Canberra will not be appearing in the show due to weather in the UK.

https://twitter.com/JerseyAirshow

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Who would organise an airshow, eh? Feel really sorry for the guys down there, rotten luck!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

And all these classic jets people banging on about organisers should have arent very reliable are they!!
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Well, that's ripped the s**t out of another cracking line-up! Assuming the weather in the CI. allows for any flying, the content & duration is shot. If you apply the following could've/should've options to the "no-show" excuses, the prospects would have been better.
1) check local Met @ base for tomorrow... go today?
2) check important bits earlier than the day you need to use it... buy time to fix it!
3) if you make a commitment, honour it... keep the 'operational reasons' joker-card for another time.
All respect to the Organisers for doing their level-best to fill the gaping voids. Pity there aren't more acts with the SWAFHF philosophy, who arrived Monday to avoid 'missing the party' on serviceability/weather issues?

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Stagger2 wrote:3) if you make a commitment, honour it... keep the 'operational reasons' joker-card for another time.
All respect to the Organisers for doing their level-best to fill the gaping voids. Pity there aren't more acts with the SWAFHF philosophy, who arrived Monday to avoid 'missing the party' on serviceability/weather issues?

The SWAFHF are ex-military aircraft though and have nothing better to do than participate at shows, whereas the likes of the Sentry and Sentinel are incredibly busy operational aircraft and can't afford to spare a whole week sitting at Jersey airport for a show.

Many of the other civilian aircraft are flown and maintained by people who give up their work and free time to get these aircraft at shows, so aircraft arrivals and departures have to work around when the crews are available rather than just when the weather is best suited.

Everyone knows that any participation list is subject to change, whether it should be as a result of operational commitments or poor weather. Can't imagine how frustrating today's cancellations must be for the Jersey organisers!

BFA
UKAR Supporter

Post by BFA »

Stagger2 wrote:Well, that's ripped the s**t out of another cracking line-up! Assuming the weather in the CI. allows for any flying, the content & duration is shot. If you apply the following could've/should've options to the "no-show" excuses, the prospects would have been better.
1) check local Met @ base for tomorrow... go today?
2) check important bits earlier than the day you need to use it... buy time to fix it!
3) if you make a commitment, honour it... keep the 'operational reasons' joker-card for another time.

May I add that the Sea vixen was down to the wire .
Samples were taken a week and a half ago as part of the on-going routine inspections and testing then sent off to the RN who analysed them .
The results came back late yesterday and decisions had to be made , it could have probably flown but would you want to risk it knowing that there was a problem ?

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Just back at the hotel after spending the day over at the castle, top job by the show's organisers, kept the display going with only the one real break in the flying, which was just before the Sweedish trio who displayed tremendously (and in some great light that having that little break before gave us). Very nice displays by all 3 of them, especially the Hunter :clap: :joystick: . Frankie (P51) also put on a great display which felt very like it was being flown for the photographers on the castle, unfortunately clouded over a lot for the Reds but gave same very nice skies to photograph against (if you like dark skies), F16 also deserves a mention for a great display especially for us photographers over on the castle.

Timc

Post by Timc »

Well it could have been worse, if the show had been held today then nothing would have flown!

Fogged in and didn't improve greatly as we left Jersey after our original flight had been cancelled, managed to get off the Island as we doubled up on another Flybe scheduled departure but that was delayed also!

I'm very grateful for seeing what I did yesterday.

Cheers
Tim

SNJ-5

Post by SNJ-5 »

Sea Vixen was grounded by the CAA just before the Air Show so i was told by the operators. Also Ginfo shows the permit has been suspended?

SNJ-5

Post by SNJ-5 »

No evidence as such other than the fact i was told by the operator that it had been grounded by the CAA and as such would not be able to attend the show. In my book that is a good enough source. I think the Ginfo site speaks for itself. I was by no means implying that it is a permanent grounding. Just stating the reason for it not arriving in Jersey.