Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
craig.mason

Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Post by craig.mason »

From the ITV News website:

Great Yarmouth is to host its first major airshow next year. Displays will take place over the resort's Golden Mile seafront.

Organisers hope the four-day event will attract up to 300,000 visitors and bring more than £10 million to the local economy.

Aircraft will dance in the skies over Great Yarmouth seafront for four days next summer as the resort hosts its first ever major airshow.

The new seafront event – geared to attract up to 300,000 people and a £10m-plus boost to the local economy – will be held from June 15 to 18.

It is being staged by Greater Yarmouth Tourism and Business Improvement District (BID) as part of its drive to bring more visitors and spending power to the borough.

The airshow, featuring two evening and two afternoon display sessions, aims to feature military and civilian displays and become the biggest single event in East Anglia.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
Last edited by LN Strike Eagle on Tue 21 Jun 2016, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SPG below par
Canon 550D
EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS II Lens
EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II
EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM

rdchawk

Re: great yarmouth to host an airshow

Post by rdchawk »

Awesome stuff!, my in laws own a chalet up that way!
Last edited by rdchawk on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

westhamfan84

Post by westhamfan84 »

Cant belive my luck as i have already booked that week at haven great yarmouth. Great news :yahoo: :yahoo: :cool: :rock: :smile:
Planned Shows for 2022 - Midlands air festival, Cosford, Weston, Southport, Riat, Blackpool, Bournemouth

tink_norfolk

Post by tink_norfolk »

westhamfan84 wrote:Cant belive my luck as i have already booked that week at haven great yarmouth. Great news :yahoo: :yahoo: :cool: :rock: :smile:

Jammy! Well done that man!
Just got to wait for my leave request to be approved, then cross my fingers they don't try and cancel it once they realise this wee event is on. Would hate to be being paid to watch. :cool:

Beccles, Ludham, and Norwich could be busy for supporting aircraft, just a shame North Denes is operational would have been great location to support any helicopter acts.

Milguy22

Re: Great Yarmouth to host an airshow

Post by Milguy22 »

An excellent coup for the town and it will bring something to put Great Yarmouth 'on the map'. All my family live there and so I know the area well. The one reservation I have is the dates of the show. I believe that Weston Super Mere and Welshpool are already on the same weekend, and i'm not sure but possibly Cosford too. Hopefully that wont have too much of an effect on participation. Shame it couldn't be a September date.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

In 2017!!!
Jeez, how will I last until then with no sleep? I awoke from a snooze earlier in a sweat. A terrible nightmare in which I had reserved a Caravan Holiday in Gt Yarmouth for this time next year.
Obviously, the option of a 'Tag' or Prison Sentence wasn't offered to me! :sad:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

rdchawk wrote:Awesome stuff my in laws own a chalet up that way!

Is that Awesome, stuff my in laws, own a chalet up that way! or Awesome stuff, my in laws own a chalet up that way! ?? :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

Let's eat Grandpa.

No NO STOP!!

I meant 'let's eat, Grandpa'.

'The comma, saving lives since 300BC' (ish) :-P
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Milguy22 wrote:An excellent coup for the town and it will bring something to put Great Yarmouth 'on the map'. All my family live there and so I know the area well. The one reservation I have is the dates of the show. I believe that Weston Super Mere and Welshpool are already on the same weekend, and i'm not sure but possibly Cosford too. Hopefully that wont have too much of an effect on participation. Shame it couldn't be a September date.

Cosford is down for 11th June next year. Could be a benefit to be the same weekend as Weston Super Mere and Welshpool if they share assets.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

A little bit of information, The main display line will be between the 2 piers,
Whisky Connoisseur

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Nwalch wrote:Cosford is down for 11th June next year. Could be a benefit to be the same weekend as Weston Super Mere and Welshpool if they share assets.

Given the 200 mile distance between RAF Cosford and Great Yarmouth (even further to Welshpool or Weston-Super-Mare) I doubt there's many assets that could be shared for any reduced price, as the fuel required for the massive transit distances would be rather expensive.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Given that Cosford and Welshpool are being held on the 11th June and Great Yarmouth is a week later, this conversation is a little pointless!

st24

Post by st24 »

clearstone wrote:Given that Cosford and Welshpool are being held on the 11th June and Great Yarmouth is a week later, this conversation is a little pointless!

:lmao:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

The Dudster

Post by The Dudster »

Awesome news my in-laws own a mobile home between Yarmouth and Lowestoft that’s a holiday booked, evening flights with the sun behind you should prove interesting
:cool:

Danny

Post by Danny »

According to the BBC the show is likely to be cancelled/postponed.

Final decision to be made today but it doesn't look promising.

A meeting is to be held today to decide whether the Haven Great Yarmouth Air Show will go ahead or be cancelled, or even postponed.

I received a tip-off late last week that the seafront air show, set for the 15-18 June, was going to be cancelled. Costs for public safety and counter-terrorism measures could far exceed expectations.

http://bbc.in/2jOYrGb
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"

stonojnr

Post by stonojnr »

According to the EDP decision already made :(
http://www.edp24.co.uk/business/tourism ... _1_4870167

Counter terrorism is a new one though,

JoshWiggins

Post by JoshWiggins »

Interesting. Would it not of been more viable as a 2 day event, maybe a Thursday and Friday along the lines of what Clacton does and build from there?

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Possibly the worst excuse I've ever heard for an airshow to be cancelled and a really shameful way to play on the insecurities of the public in the current climate.

You have to feel for the businesses that have already contributed in some way and the hotels etc that have already taken bookings.

strangelookingalien

Post by strangelookingalien »

Pathetic!

I'd already booked both days off work so have been inconvenienced by this genuinely ridiculous decision.

ISIS have been a real gift to the lazy councillors here... Thank goodness for Clacton!

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

May be a MOD can edit the title to reflect the current news ?

Will-o’-the-wisp4174

Post by Will-o’-the-wisp4174 »

Hi everyone,
I’ve heard rumours that there is to be an airshow at Great Yarmouth on 16th and 17th June 2018. Has this been officially confirmed? Rumours in the past concerning Lowestoft and Yarmouth airshows have usually led to disappointment. Lowestoft airshow has been sorely missed.....I wonder if the proposed Yarmouth show will be up to the same high standard??

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Will-o’-the-wisp4174 wrote:Hi everyone,
I’ve heard rumours that there is to be an airshow at Great Yarmouth on 16th and 17th June 2018. Has this been officially confirmed? Rumours in the past concerning Lowestoft and Yarmouth airshows have usually led to disappointment. Lowestoft airshow has been sorely missed.....I wonder if the proposed Yarmouth show will be up to the same high standard??

Hi!

Yes you are correct, 16th and 17th June, and yes, it has been officially confirmed. However it was officially confirmed for 2017 and was sadly cancelled, fingers crossed it goes ahead this time! This is the airshow website https://www.great-yarmouth.co.uk/air-show/ first flying item also already confirmed!
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Will-o’-the-wisp4174

Post by Will-o’-the-wisp4174 »

Thank you vulcanshammer.

memberinessex

Post by memberinessex »

Update on the show here:

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/plans-well-under-way-for-inaugural-haven-great-yarmouth-air-display-1-5425772

Only confirmed acts are:

The Wildcats aerobatics team
Army’s Tigers free-fall parachutists

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

memberinessex wrote:Update on the show here:

http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/plans-well-under-way-for-inaugural-haven-great-yarmouth-air-display-1-5425772

Only confirmed acts are:

The Wildcats aerobatics team
Army’s Tigers free-fall parachutists

My only concern from this is how far out the display line will be.
Whisky Connoisseur