Jersey 2018

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
The Baron

Re: Jersey 2018

Post by The Baron »

The Baron wrote:
wdg wrote:Looks like a Corsair has been added in place of the Hunter

At a guess maybe the La Ferté Alais based example. But we'll know for sure soon enough.

Or not because it didn't turn up.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

I enjoyed it, was my first visit (coincided with a week's holiday). Nice to get up normal time, and walk to the display area and hardly anyone still be there at midday.

Glad I saw most of the practice displays in decent light. Quite a lot of the afternoon ones will be silhouettes.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Had a great time, some lovely aircraft. I stayed with Friends at the airport, much more relaxing. Sadly the wind didn't play ball and they were on eastilies until about a hour after the show traffic finished.Great to see the Noratlas, what a lovely noise. The Viggen looked amazing in the sun shine. My only criticism was it would have been good to have atleast been able to get a drink while the static was open, they would have made a killing.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

The Baron wrote:
The Baron wrote:
wdg wrote:Looks like a Corsair has been added in place of the Hunter

At a guess maybe the La Ferté Alais based example. But we'll know for sure soon enough.

Or not because it didn't turn up.

Baptiste Salis made it part of the way in the Leather Helmets' Corsair, but it seems weather scuppered it completing the trip.

wdg

Post by wdg »

My first time visiting Jersey - airshow or otherwise. Thoroughly enjoyed the flying display - great lineup, lots of stuff I hadn't seen before, even a few types I hadn't heard of before they were announced. Particularly enjoyed the Swedish Historic Flight - shame the Lansens couldn't make it but the Viggen and Drakken were great, and they were the ones I really wanted to see. My only criticism of the flying would be that a few of the earlier displays - particularly the Noratlas - seemed a little short. I don't know if that's normal for these participants, or because the wonderful lineup meant that the show had so many aircraft to fit in, but if it was the latter it is a pity they couldn't have started half an hour earlier instead. I also thought that the Yak was a little far out during the solo part of its display, but it came closer once the Boomerang arrived.

I was disappointed with the static display. I went to have a look around after my flight landed on Wednesday afternoon. It took some time to locate the entrance, which was not signed from the terminal. Unfortunately due to the weather several of the participants still hadn't arrived, and others such as the Red Arrows were parked away from the viewing area. The Boomerang and Reva already had their covers on and the area was cluttered with orange cones - it's a pity these couldn't have been removed once the planes were in place. On the plus side the mound in the static area was a great vantage point for watching arrivals and departures - they should consider opening this for departures as well, or even during the show. Stupidly I went back the next day thinking it would be better, only to find cones still out, covers on again, the Mustang hidden away behind the An-2 and that a photographer and his model had been permitted beyond the rope to get pictures up against the Viggen. The website and programme both advertised a helicopter display in a park near the beach, but there were no helicopters there.

Despite this disappointment, the flying display was fantastic and that's what I went for.
2022: As many displays as I can get to
http://www.flickr.com/people/161562983@N04

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I can confirm that the Noratlas display is always pretty short. A shame as I could watch it for hours!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.