Jersey 2019- 12th September

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Jay

Re: Jersey 2019- 12th September

Post by Jay »

No Skyraider then :-( guess I should have waited until the official list came out, i was going by the list here. https://www.military-airshows.co.uk/ven24.htm
Still, at least there is 1 aircraft I have not seen yet, the Sabre.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

I was really looking forward to the Skyraider as well :sad:

Sabre flypast with the MiG and Tunnan though by the looks of it :smile:

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

NAM Updater wrote:Any tips on locating the static park for the airshows Wednesday?

it's on the Southern perimeter of the airport, coming by air just leep right as you exit the terminal go through the car park and follow the fence (I think there's a gap you can walk through which leads onto a cycle and footpath); by road or bus it's on the left as you come up from Red Houses just after a Ford dealer. There's normally a temporary car park in the field with a few trade stands

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Thank you for the feedback, which is appreciated.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

jules48

Post by jules48 »

B52 Flypasts cancelled.Tech issues.As per JIAD Twitter and Facebook.

jules48

Post by jules48 »

British Airways A319 also not attending.Not a surprise really considering the mess they are in operationally.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Just back at the hotel after a pleasant session at the static park - a bit overcast and windy but a reasonable amount to see and photograph.
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

jules48 wrote:British Airways A319 also not attending.Not a surprise really considering the mess they are in operationally.

according to FR24 it landed at Gatwick 1816 tonight having done a return trip to Ibiza, haven't seen it at LGW for a few months now and I go past the runway every weekday. I kinda thought it would be operating a scheduled flight to Jersey tomorrow but there is probably not scope to do a display from there as well as having to then return to the UK?

never seen an actual operational airliner do a display of any sort so didn't know what to expect, DHL sent a 757 to Eastbourne a few years ago which was fun, especially in the awful weather!

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Forecast is for low cloud and poor visibility which may impact the displays.
Mind you it changes so quickly it could be brilliant sunshine all day.
They should have it earlier in the year and at a weekend.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

The BEA liveried A319 is parked up west of LGW North Terminal gate 55D where my flight to Jersey is delayed because of the weather there!

jules48

Post by jules48 »

BBMF Cancelled due weather

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Roger_Over wrote:The BEA liveried A319 is parked up west of LGW North Terminal gate 55D where my flight to Jersey is delayed because of the weather there!

If that was you I was chatting to good to meet you and hope you enjoyed the show! As I was walking back to the airport yesterday I saw the BEA 319's tail but managed to be under the trees when it took off on an easterly.

A great and unusual show as always, loved the Noratlas (which dropped 10 authentic DDay paras despite rather low cloud) and the AN2

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

Zoom wrote:
Roger_Over wrote:The BEA liveried A319 is parked up west of LGW North Terminal gate 55D where my flight to Jersey is delayed because of the weather there!

If that was you I was chatting to good to meet you and hope you enjoyed the show! As I was walking back to the airport yesterday I saw the BEA 319's tail but managed to be under the trees when it took off on an easterly.

A great and unusual show as always, loved the Noratlas (which dropped 10 authentic DDay paras despite rather low cloud) and the AN2

Good to meet you too, and a few other folks over for the display. The Noratlas stood out for me as well, a graceful and unique aircraft with a great engine drone, and the round chute para drop was impressive, I was surprised it happened given low cloud base and increasing winds. I sympathised with the paras who landed in the wet stuff! Also I haven't seen a Sabre fly for many years and forgot how much presence they have in the sky, and the Swedish formation and particularly the Draken display were also memorable.

It was a free show, and you manage your expectations accordingly, but there were a few acts we don't see on the mainland and overall I thoroughly enjoyed it and would add on a couple of extra days next time for a more relaxed visit.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Roger_Over wrote:It was a free show, and you manage your expectations accordingly, but there were a few acts we don't see on the mainland and overall I thoroughly enjoyed it and would add on a couple of extra days next time for a more relaxed visit.

Absolutely; I've been 3 times now and it's always been a case of a great chance to visit the island with the likelihood of a great and unusual display to boot. Definitely going next year it should be a great 75th Liberation display

I spent the 2nd day walking the fantastic North coast and even saw the Huey and AN-2 flying over!

Robin

Post by Robin »

Flew home from Jersey today after a week of mixed weather, yesterdays weather was amazing, if only we could have had it for the airshow. As we taxied out this afternoon, I saw that the F86 Sabre was still parked in the hangar, they must be having difficulty getting spare parts to repair it. I did enjoy the bus ride up to the airport last Wednesday to view the static park, did not begrudge the £5.00 entry that went to charity and you even got a minibus ride round the parked aircraft. It was unfortunate that a number of the display aircraft were unable to make the crossing to the Island from wherever they were coming from, but the one's that did make it were excellent, it was well worth the holiday.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Zoom

Re: Jersey 2022- 8th September

Post by Zoom »

booked a day trip from LGW, really should book earlier as the flight home was a song. So far only Reds / BBMF confirmed but they usually put on some really good and unusual displays

it also gives an opportunity to dine at the best Pizza Express in the World in St Brelade's Bay after the show!
Last edited by Zoom on Fri 24 Jun 2022, 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JMC

Post by JMC »

I went last year and even with the unique displays it was up there with one of the worst venues i’ve ever watched an airshow at. Nice view, but my good get the binoculars out!

W1lmaluvxx

Post by W1lmaluvxx »

Went there in 2018,light is second to none of you get to see the practice displays before the show