1740 Typhoon

1945 Spitfire
1958 Fireflies display team
2011 Otto the helicopter & Piper cub
2026 Red Devils parachute free fall team

Zoom

Re: Bournemouth Air Festival 2019

Post by Zoom »

Well done BAF for making the most of the afternoon's weather and scheduling to give a full (with the exception of the Wingwalkers) display yesterday.

Loved the Ultimate Warbirds but a shame it ended up with the usual jingoistic nonsense of a Luftwaffe plane being "shot down"; have we really not moved on 80 years later? :sad:

highlight for me Fireflies dusk display as always (even better too as I was far away enough from the PA to hear bloody Shine on you crazy diamond!)

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Zoom wrote:Loved the Ultimate Warbirds but a shame it ended up with the usual jingoistic nonsense of a Luftwaffe plane being "shot down"; have we really not moved on 80 years later? :sad:

Come on... really? Would you prefer if it was the Spit getting shot down?

We did win the Battle of Britain you know!

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Of course we have all moved-on, but you can't deny that the display is merely symbolic of the historic outcome? Just as an emphatic win as the 1966 world Cup, but with more lives sacrificed during the B-o-B! :sad:

stickshaker

Post by stickshaker »

And the fact that the Buchon is the only one with smoke!

Mike

Post by Mike »

Would you rather they recreated the set-piece from La Ferte last year, with the Buchon shooting down the dastardly RAF Spitfire XIV, then the heroic Frenchman saving the day in his Hawk 75 by shooting down the hun?

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Mike wrote:Would you rather they recreated the set-piece from La Ferte last year, with the Buchon shooting down the dastardly RAF Spitfire XIV, then the heroic Frenchman saving the day in his Hawk 75 by shooting down the hun?

well I'd personally probably rather they didn't recreate anything like that these days. They don't for ground based parades (which is what I see many airshows as to a great extent, commemorating the huge effort and sad loss of both World Wars, Lest We Forget)

BTW we didn't "win" the BoB, we just forced Hitler to change tack days away from taking out our air defence. But absolutely 100000% in awe and gratitude of all those who helped turn the tide in such dark times for not only Britain.

At least the commentator didn't refer to the Luftwaffe as "cowardly" which I did hear a few years sgo.

I assume use of "the Hun" is a joke?

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Zoom wrote:well I'd personally probably rather they didn't recreate anything like that these days. They don't for ground based parades

I suggest you look at battle reenactments e.g. Victory Show next week. A Buchon masquerading as a 109 and letting off some white smoke is really nothing to be losing sleep over.

frank

Post by frank »

Zoom wrote:I assume use of "the Hun" is a joke?

The use of the word Hun goes back to Kaiser Wilhelm II who made an infamous speech in 1900 where he compared the might have Germany to that of Attila the Hun.
"Just as a thousand years ago, the Huns under Attila won a reputation of might that lives on in legends, so may the name of Germany in China, such that no Chinese will even again dare so much as to look askance at a German."
He was mocked by Rudyard Kipling for using the term in 1902 and the term shameless Hun became a derogatory term for Germans soldiers during the WWI and probably WWII. It is still used today, not so much as a derogatory term but more in a historical reference to the German war mongering in WWI or WW11

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Zoom wrote:well I'd personally probably rather they didn't recreate anything like that these days. They don't for ground based parades

I suggest you look at battle reenactments e.g. Victory Show next week. A Buchon masquerading as a 109 and letting off some white smoke is really nothing to be losing sleep over.

thanks; checked out the Victory Show, not my thing sorry

frank

Post by frank »

Zoom wrote:
Jakub.Zurek wrote:

thanks; checked out the Victory Show, not my thing sorry

Is military aviation your thing - sorry just wondering :snack:

jules48

Post by jules48 »

Your family obviously has past history with the Germans like so many including mine.

But I saw the displays at Bournemouth and the last thing on my mind was what you are referring to.

If you don't like it you have a choice and that is your decision.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

jules48 wrote:Your family obviously has past history with the Germans like so many including mine.

But I saw the displays at Bournemouth and the last thing on my mind was what you are referring to.

If you don't like it you have a choice and that is your decision.

well actually I'm half German by birth but English born and bred (my now British Mum is the most patriotic of all of us!) , my (English) Dad told me I shouldn't wear a red poppy as it was anti- German which I never went along with, never really understood why there was a feeling against them I think there was an issue with the Haig fund (and also there are white poppies but that's by the by)

I don't have a problem with (and indeed completely support) commemorating the enormous contribution and sad losses the RAF / USAF made in WW2, but for me displays of this type should be about just that. The Luftwaffe were generally in the same boat as the RAF, conscripted and acting under orders. They certainly weren't the "cowards" I've heard them referred to in a recent airshow commentary.

If peeps want to go and watch re-enactments of WW2 battles fine but I don't think that's what most airshows in the UK (especially those in which the RAF participate) are there for.

this should probably go somewhere else, as others have said that was a very small part of the Bournemouth display which was intended as a harmless bit of fun in an excellent display

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Swede Dreams" - Jakub Zurek made the most of the Bournemouth Air Festival, spending Friday evening and Saturday at the seafront and Sunday at the airport.

Image Image Image