Portrush 2020 cancelled

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
Witchcraft24

Portrush 2020 cancelled

Post by Witchcraft24 »

For those not following the news, the local council has cancelled the 2020 Portrush Air Show due to a £67.8 million hole in its finances.
Potential bad news on the horizon for the Scottish International Air Show next week too....

jasonT1981

Re: Portrush 2020 cancelled

Post by jasonT1981 »

Terrible, the council has been woeful in money management. This debt is despite a £26.21m boost for Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council from hosting the open Golf tournament and over £100m for the area in total.

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2019-12-10 ... n-ireland/

The show was always held on the first weekend of September to give the local traders and hotels/B&Bs a much needed boost to help them through the slow winter months. They will loose out big time. The Airshow cost £240k and brought in £2.5 million.

I thought they could have reduced it to 1 day and made smaller cuts to other events rather than just scrap the airshow as the projected savings needed was £260k. Meaning only £20k has been taken from all other council funded events in the area given the show cost £240k.

There is already a go fund me to help put on a show, all be it maybe a smaller one.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Pardon me I may be wrong but was that not a similar reason to why the Scottish International Airshow was called off Last Year? Seem to remember it was something to do with The Local Council didn't have the funds or something like that?

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Indeed, the 2019 TSIA was a victim of council funding. A 3-day show was promised for 2020, but anyone following the news will know that there is currently an issue between the council and the organisers which may come to a head at a Special Meeting of the Council next week.....

Funding of free-to-view sea front air displays is not easy and it’s not going to get any easier.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Yes, there is a massive dispute over £80,000 of funding for the show.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ ... n-21291905

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Depending on what happens with this then I guess it's East Fortune for me this Year - Weather dependant of course.

Oh how Leuchars Airshow is missed.

Unfortunately due to personal reasons I can't easily travel South.

(Keeping my fingers crossed Ayr does go ahead)……….?!?!..

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Fairly poor the last couple of year though. Not worth the trip up from cork, usaully flipping cold as hell too. Shame though

Theres meant to be one in Cobh this year but now postponed till 2021 (if it happens at all) if you fancy a trip down the other way next year. Looks to be the same kinda line up as Portrush was minus the RAF. :roll:
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Cobh is going to be good. In talks with quite a few nations. Delayed because they received far more interest than expected, so will put it in 2021 to facilitate everything.
Organisers were bowled over by the level of national and international interest following the launch and, as a result, the event has become much bigger than originally anticipated.

In a statement, they said they are pushing back the date to facilitate a number of international fleets, which will, in turn, attract many overseas visitors to the region.

Those involved say this is a huge opportunity to showcase Cork and to establish Cobh and the lower harbour as a regular venue for a world-class air show, so they want to ensure the most successful event possible.

The event has already attracted dozens of aircraft, such the AeroSuperBatics Wing walkers, The STRIKEMASTERS, Team Raven, Jet Display teams, Historical aircrafts, the coastguard and RNLI.

More announcements are expected to be made over the coming months.

SilentFlight

Post by SilentFlight »

jasonT1981 wrote:Cobh is going to be good. In talks with quite a few nations. Delayed because they received far more interest than expected, so will put it in 2021 to facilitate everything.
Organisers were bowled over by the level of national and international interest following the launch and, as a result, the event has become much bigger than originally anticipated.

In a statement, they said they are pushing back the date to facilitate a number of international fleets, which will, in turn, attract many overseas visitors to the region.

Those involved say this is a huge opportunity to showcase Cork and to establish Cobh and the lower harbour as a regular venue for a world-class air show, so they want to ensure the most successful event possible.

The event has already attracted dozens of aircraft, such the AeroSuperBatics Wing walkers, The STRIKEMASTERS, Team Raven, Jet Display teams, Historical aircrafts, the coastguard and RNLI.

More announcements are expected to be made over the coming months.

Organisers always need to be careful releasing statements, interest and reality are two very different things! The Defence Community at DA level will be interested, but convincing higher level commands is another thing to task aircraft and personnel. Fingers crossed it pays off for them!

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Agree, Lots of facebook nonesense with Mach Loop and Yeovilton linksm just noisde. Its a 20 mins trip for me but I aint hopeful too much, Last show in Cork was 1985, day before pure blue skies, Airshow day, Fog and Cancelled. had a trip to the beach instead and heard 2 F-104s tearing overhead. ah well

Cobh is a bottle neck for Traffic with 1 bridge out of the Island, a cross river Car Ferry and rail line, the harbour is quite large so dont really see how you can watch from all Around like they claim plus viewing from Cobh is straight into the sun.
Cheers

George

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I would love to get down to Cobh next year, but I am up in Co Down so it would be a long trip.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Small quick question regarding the Scottish Airshow, every Year its the same Air DIsplay at the Low Green but no Static at Prestwick, every year silence as to why Prestwick hasn't held one since 2015.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

jasonT1981 wrote:I would love to get down to Cobh next year, but I am up in Co Down so it would be a long trip.

It is a bit of a trek for sure, done it many a time including last year for the bike Racing.

Need somewhere to stay mate drop us a line...
Cheers

George

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Hi Witchcraft24, regarding funding for Seaside Shows not being easy, makes you wonder about the likes of Sunderland and Bournemouth? They must be in the same position?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

All the seaside airshows find funding a challenge, but it would be wrong to say all will be in the same boat as Portrush.

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

That is indeed true...but there are a couple which are vulnerable, especially with funding from central government being cut in the next twelve months.
Once something on this scale is lost, it is hard to get it back.