Scottish Airshow 2020 - funding withdrawn

News on all the seaside airshows up and down the country in one forum
jasonT1981

Scottish Airshow 2020 - funding withdrawn

Post by jasonT1981 »

Statement from Scottish Airshow. Apparently councillors are saying funding been scrapped.

Scottish International Airshow 2020.

There are press reports today that South Ayrshire Councillors have decided to stop funding the Airshow. We know that all the Councillors were meeting today and we asked to attend that meeting. We did not get a reply and nobody has been in touch with us.

We have always had a great relationship with South Ayrshire Council and their support is vital to running this huge free event

The aeroplanes are booked, the hotels are booked and the Airshow is ready to go. The 3 day Airshow is planned to be the biggest ever held in Scotland. Over 200,000 people are expected to attend over the weekend and it is worth many millions of pounds to Ayrshire businesses large and small.

We are waiting for an explanation from the Councillors or their staff and we won't make any comments until someone explains what the Councillors have decided

From a newspaper.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ ... l-21524872
The Scottish International Airshow has today been dealt a savage blow after council chiefs pulled key funding of the aerobatic event.

Councillors, who met at a specially convened summit this afternoon, agreed to rip up their £250,000 contract to back this year's show.

It follows a behind the scenes fall out between Airshow organisers and South Ayrshire officials over backing of the event.
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris G

Re: Scottish Airshow 2020 - possibly cancelled

Post by Chris G »

Such a shame, i hope the council see what they have got and manage to sort it out with them for the good of everyone involved.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Oh no, please no, gutted if true.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

It's true

Scottish International Airshow loses critical funding from South Ayrshire Council

“In a statement tonight, the council said: "South Ayrshire Council do not run the Scottish International Airshow, we simply provide grant funding under an agreement with the organisers.

The organisers have breached a number of terms of this agreement and were given the opportunity to rectify these, but failed to do so.

The organisers provided two proposals to settle the issue, one of which was to jointly agree the termination of the grant, with the organisers retaining the sum of £80,000 as full and final settlement.

This payment can be retained by the organisers on the condition that this money is used to settle an outstanding debt due to an external third party creditor for the 2018 event and the accounts due to customers and businesses who have already made payments in respect of the 2020 Scottish International Airshow.””

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Scotland may lose another Airshow due to Politics, we lost Leuchars due to Wasteminster Political decisions now we may lose Ayr due to Ayrshire Council - I just cannot believe this.

Oh well looks like possibly East Fortune for me (Hope the Weathers better)…...

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Scottish Airshow 2020 - funding withdrawn

Post by Skyflash »

Horrible news - although it's (obviously) early days the signs were promising for another fine show.

I'm guessing that it's now completely goosed? :sad:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Berf

Post by Berf »

Unknown74 wrote:Scotland may lose another Airshow due to Politics, we lost Leuchars due to Wasteminster Political decisions now we may lose Ayr due to Ayrshire Council - I just cannot believe this.

Oh well looks like possibly East Fortune for me (Hope the Weathers better)…...

I know nothing about this but how do you arrive at the conclusion it is the Council's fault when the council says the organisers have breached terms of the agreement , failed to rectify the problem and owe someone from last year?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Probably by the same logic that leads him to conclude that London politicians deliberately decided to close Leuchars just to spite the Jockistani anorak-and-bobble hat brigade and deprive them of their airshow.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Lets just all hope that somehow there can be a resolution to this and that we can get an Airshow in Scotland this Year other than East Fortune. No disprespect to East Fortune it is a really good show, but since Leuchars unfortunately had to end their Airshow what other Airshow do we have? Basically none - not with a Static Park anyway - , we would all have to travel Down South or elsewhere for an Airshow or similar event and while that may not be a problem to some people there are some who can't easily do that.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

This is sad and disappointing news. Sorry for the organisers - Thank you for the airshows between 2014 - 2018, great days out, shame it had to end like this.

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

What a shame I was planning on going.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Unknown74 wrote:Lets just all hope that somehow there can be a resolution to this and that we can get an Airshow in Scotland this Year other than East Fortune. No disprespect to East Fortune it is a really good show, but since Leuchars unfortunately had to end their Airshow what other Airshow do we have? Basically none - not with a Static Park anyway - , we would all have to travel Down South or elsewhere for an Airshow or similar event and while that may not be a problem to some people there are some who can't easily do that.

That is a good point.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Cheers Euan.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

They made a reply to a comment about relocating to somewhere else in Scotland

We may have some options eleswhere but we will take some time to consider them. Our loyalty was to Ayr as our first home

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

jasonT1981 wrote:They made a reply to a comment about relocating to somewhere else in Scotland

We may have some options eleswhere but we will take some time to consider them. Our loyalty was to Ayr as our first home

There was a rumour about hosting a show at Kirkcaldy waterfront, wasn't there? It would be great to have an airshow back in Fife... maybe Leuchars could even be used to host some of the participating aircraft (ok I'm getting carried away now).
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Sad news indeed. Be a shame if lost for good.

Went to the first couple and there were some memorable displays, including the only 2 Lancaster visit to Scotland.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Saddened, Distraught and Gutted. These are the only decent words I can mention on here. Can't really say what I really feel, will get into trouble,

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Just wondered wether it hadn’t been for South Ayrshire Councils stupidity would the Coronovirus situation have meant it would have to b cancelled?

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Nah! They just got lucky with pulling the funding just in time to stop them losing a wedge! Aye, a canny bit o' foresight alright. :win:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Unknown74 wrote:Just wondered wether it hadn’t been for South Ayrshire Councils stupidity would the Coronovirus situation have meant it would have to b cancelled?

It's purely speculative given no one knows when exactly the virus might peak or even be "finished", but I'd suggest not. The September date would likely have spared it - the GO! Festival the week before is still taking place as far as I know, and all being well will hopefully still include some evening displays
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

portagee01

Post by portagee01 »

With little no early year display qualification (I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology) and then very little display season leading up to a September date, It's difficult to imagine having their normal wide range of participants and from that a full event. Also even though the beach front is over a mile long, it would be difficult to maintain and ensure any form of distancing if it was to still be required.