RIAT ‘22 wish list

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
JMC

Re: RIAT ‘22 wish list

Post by JMC »

A thought I had earlier. ZZ336 flypast with the reds or towing F-35's.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

What's the chances we will ever see a B1 in the flying display again?
Fast jet fanatic.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Jameslw1993 wrote:
Sun 01 May 2022, 8:28 pm
What's the chances we will ever see a B1 in the flying display again?
Without coming across abrupt, but unless you’re part of global strike command how is anyone supposed to answer this? :laughing:

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

Behave, what an absolutely meaningless response.
Some people on here are either 'in the know', or much more knowledgeable than myself and can fathom a reasonable guess. I was merely asking a question considering someone has mentioned it.

Any sensible answers?
Fast jet fanatic.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I used to believe the saying "the only stupid question is one not asked" but the more I look at this topic the more I realise it was wrong.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Quite

I’ve long believed that a significant percentage of aviation enthusiasts live in a fantasy parallel universe; every year this particular topic only reinforces that view.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

Mike wrote:
Mon 02 May 2022, 2:59 pm
Quite

I’ve long believed that a significant percentage of aviation enthusiasts live in a fantasy parallel universe; every year this particular topic only reinforces that view.
Not 'quite', was merely questioning it, as people are labelling it on their wishlists.
Some people on this forum are just ridiculous.
Fast jet fanatic.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

cg_341 wrote:
Mon 02 May 2022, 2:55 pm
I used to believe the saying "the only stupid question is one not asked" but the more I look at this topic the more I realise it was wrong.
Really. How is it a stupid question? I'm looking for educational guesses based on whether or whether not they display the aircraft at all, or if its likely to never appear due to impending retirement.
I'm not asking blindly like someone on social media, I'm looking for what people's opinions are on whether it'll happen.

Like I said, you're all more knowledgeable than me, answer the likelihood of what was asked.

Right, let's move on.
Fast jet fanatic.

CJS

Post by CJS »

James: it's not a stupid question, it's a perfectly appropriate one for a RIAT wish list thread! Ignore the whiners.

Based on airshow appearances since the Bone last displayed at RIAT in 2007 (I've a feeling it may have displayed more recently at Waddington?), I would think the most we can expect from a B-1 would be a flypast - a la Cosford a few years ago.

Never say never, and obviously whilst they are still in service has has to remain a possibility (however slight), but my educated guess would be that we won't see a full B-1 display in the UK again.
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Well, I can take a punt. TL;DR - the “chances” are the same as they are every year.

Positive points:

The B-1 does perform flypasts at airshows. The only recent one in the U.K. I can think of is Cosford in 2017. Not sure there were any others, but internationally it’s performed as well as CONUS.

There may be an argument for DBH to say “hey, you base your bombers here every four to six months, this is an opportunity to engage with the public”. Especially with the apparent increase in frequency/duration. We know that the B-1s have been based here and flown missions with some sort of reliability/regularity quite recently.

The USAF have done “global power” missions/demos flying the B-2 over for flypasts and back again in both 2017/18, so one presumes the mechanics of that could also work for B-52s or B-1s.

It *is* a USAF birthday celebration, so maybe it’s a more significant argument than some years.

Maybe the war in Ukraine might motivate the idea to flex the muscles a bit, but I daresay the USAF does that more effectively with deployments, missions, and exercises than an airshow appearance.

Negatives:

Literally who knows, it’s almost impossible to make any reliable guess.

The B-1 fleet is knackered, and tanker support expensive.

Other than the last one, all the positive points above aren’t new and could have applied to previous events, and yet a B-1 didn’t fly then, so maybe they’re not great positives.

So the “chances” are just about the same as any other year, and the same as they have been for a good number of years (at least post-2014 when BTFs ramped up and sequestration calmed down). This is why some people, albeit far bluntly that I’d have put it, have said what they said.

Ultimately, if one is pencilled, amazing, if it’s not, well, we’ll just have to hope for one in the future.

No one can really predict or guess what “the chances” are of anything, beyond the above points, and because they apply pretty much the same every year, they’re basically meaningless.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 03 May 2022, 10:13 am
Well, I can take a punt. TL;DR - the “chances” are the same as they are every year.

Positive points:

The B-1 does perform flypasts at airshows. The only recent one in the U.K. I can think of is Cosford in 2017. Not sure there were any others, but internationally it’s performed as well as CONUS.

There may be an argument for DBH to say “hey, you base your bombers here every four to six months, this is an opportunity to engage with the public”. Especially with the apparent increase in frequency/duration. We know that the B-1s have been based here and flown missions with some sort of reliability/regularity quite recently.

The USAF have done “global power” missions/demos flying the B-2 over for flypasts and back again in both 2017/18, so one presumes the mechanics of that could also work for B-52s or B-1s.

It *is* a USAF birthday celebration, so maybe it’s a more significant argument than some years.

Maybe the war in Ukraine might motivate the idea to flex the muscles a bit, but I daresay the USAF does that more effectively with deployments, missions, and exercises than an airshow appearance.

Negatives:

Literally who knows, it’s almost impossible to make any reliable guess.

The B-1 fleet is knackered, and tanker support expensive.

Other than the last one, all the positive points above aren’t new and could have applied to previous events, and yet a B-1 didn’t fly then, so maybe they’re not great positives.

So the “chances” are just about the same as any other year, and the same as they have been for a good number of years (at least post-2014 when BTFs ramped up and sequestration calmed down). This is why some people, albeit far bluntly that I’d have put it, have said what they said.

Ultimately, if one is pencilled, amazing, if it’s not, well, we’ll just have to hope for one in the future.

No one can really predict or guess what “the chances” are of anything, beyond the above points, and because they apply pretty much the same every year, they’re basically meaningless.
Thanks for the detailed response. A few niggles though.

First point is, when I said chances, I also said "ever" which would refer to the entire future and not limited to this one event. So sayin the chances are same every year is very irrelevant to my question.
Second, the positives are very much positive as there are various other reasons that they wouldn't of displayed the aircraft in the past. Please forgive for saying, I understand this is a frequent question that has been asked back throughout the years regarding all types, but instead of me aimlessly tracking back through previous topics and threads hoping to find information, I just asked. Also other things may have come up and changed the potential of it happening, since the question was last asked.

Most importantly as you keep highlighting 'chances', I'm not after reliable guesses, but just peoples opinions and knowledge on said subject.

Thanks
Fast jet fanatic.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

CJS wrote:
Tue 03 May 2022, 9:54 am
James: it's not a stupid question, it's a perfectly appropriate one for a RIAT wish list thread! Ignore the whiners.

Based on airshow appearances since the Bone last displayed at RIAT in 2007 (I've a feeling it may have displayed more recently at Waddington?), I would think the most we can expect from a B-1 would be a flypast - a la Cosford a few years ago.

Never say never, and obviously whilst they are still in service has has to remain a possibility (however slight), but my educated guess would be that we won't see a full B-1 display in the UK again.
Thank you, much appreciated.
The very last part of your post was exactly the sort of answer I was (expecting) looking for.

These guys have looked too much into it, I am young and inquisitive but not stupid, so I knew the depths of the question I was asking.

Thanks again CJS.
Fast jet fanatic.

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

Does the Italian Air Force still operate and display the A-11 Ghibli?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I thought that they were supposed to have been retired sometime last year but Scramble still lists several as active as late as January this year.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I think its next year for retirement. I don't think the RSV display either the Tornado or AMX any more, 40th anniversary show for the Tornado at Ghedi later this year, should see some in the air.

C-27J, T-346, EF2000, HH-139 seem to be the solo types these days.

Fingers crossed for an AMX and Tornado for static is the best I believe we can hope.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

The Italian Air Force are meant to be keeping a small number of AMX in the air until their 100th anniversary show next June. The Italians only have a handful of AMX pilots currently and flights seem few and far between.

capercaillie wrote:
Tue 03 May 2022, 1:19 pm
40th anniversary show for the Tornado at Ghedi later this year
Do you have a date for the event please Paul?
Last edited by DeanW on Tue 03 May 2022, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Does anyone know where the 100th anniversary show will be (and the date)?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

It was announced on Scramble to be June 16th - 18th 2023, Pratica di Mare. Take as a heads-up only until formally announced though, I think.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Thanks - one to watch out for - if you can take the crowds I guess.

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

A static wish that popped in to my head today: a line up of trainers for each stream (Fast Jet/Transport/Rotary) showing the progression of a trainee with a frontline type at the end from the OCU….

Think:
Prefect - Texan - Hawk - Typhoon
Prefect - Phenom - C130
Prefect - Juno - Jupiter - Chinook

Ideally each fanning out in the shape of a propellor with a Viking glider in the middle….

Obviously would need lots of support from MFTS and there may not be space, but perfect for the theme and would be good for engagement/careers etc.
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Mictheslik wrote:
Tue 03 May 2022, 7:16 pm
A static wish that popped in to my head today: a line up of trainers for each stream (Fast Jet/Transport/Rotary) showing the progression of a trainee with a frontline type at the end from the OCU….

Think:
Prefect - Texan - Hawk - Typhoon
Prefect - Phenom - C130
Prefect - Juno - Jupiter - Chinook

Ideally each fanning out in the shape of a propellor with a Viking glider in the middle….

Obviously would need lots of support from MFTS and there may not be space, but perfect for the theme and would be good for engagement/careers etc.
That is an amazing and creative bit of imagination and vision there - I like your thinking. I really like the idea of recreating a propeller shape on the ground. Would look great from the air when the event is grabbing some sort of publicity/marketing shots for future years.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

JMC

Post by JMC »

An aircraft that crossed my mind earlier: The Fighter Collections P-40F Warhawk!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

DeanW wrote:
Tue 03 May 2022, 2:45 pm
The Italian Air Force are meant to be keeping a small number of AMX in the air until their 100th anniversary show next June. The Italians only have a handful of AMX pilots currently and flights seem few and far between.

capercaillie wrote:
Tue 03 May 2022, 1:19 pm
40th anniversary show for the Tornado at Ghedi later this year
Do you have a date for the event please Paul?
Hi Dean,

https://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/comun ... hedi).aspx

Appears to be 8th September, must admit I maybe putting 2+2 together and getting 5 but the link says "eventi". Hope it helps.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Thank you!

AlfaPapa

Post by AlfaPapa »

Flying - F-4, Su-22, B-1, Hunter

Static - C-5, B-2, A-4, WC-135