Flying Legends 2022

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
TheJannerDave

Flying Legends 2022

Post by TheJannerDave »

Has anyone seen any confirmation or otherwise whether this year’s event at Sywell is taking place around the second week of July? Seems a bit strange that all the other shows have announced but nothing from the FL team yet.

jasonT1981

Re: Flying Legends 2022

Post by jasonT1981 »

9th & 10th July have been reported as dates but nothing official from FL themselves. Tour groups are already offering packages for the dates

https://twynhamstours.co.uk/2022-tours/ ... ds-airshow

Smog Monster

Post by Smog Monster »

Hope it goes ahead, but still wonder if there's any faint hope of an agreement veing reached with IWM... it's got to be in both party's interests.

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

We’ve not heard anything at Sywell museum about it and interestingly there is no specific mention of where it actually is on that tour site!

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Probably reading too much into it, but the tour website has some event timings which look like they’re from the planned show at Sywell last year i.e. the Blades evening display and evening entertainment until the site closes at 10pm.

TheJannerDave

Post by TheJannerDave »

Yes JasonT I have seen similar advertised and have booked accommodation over that weekend on a cancellation basis just in case.
Interesting that the Sywell museum haven’t heard anything yet.
One thing that springs to mind is the high fuel prices and how this may inpact on operators in the coming season and the costs that may have to be passed onto spectators for tickets.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

The LAA Rally which recently has been held at Sywell has a date for 2022, but no venue.

Could be the same issues for Flying Legends.

Also, lots of concerns from the GA community: https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119918

TheJannerDave

Post by TheJannerDave »

Thanks for posting clearstone, the plot thickens even more, interesting article indeed.

darkman

Post by darkman »

Just announced. No show this year🙁

Andy'll do

Post by Andy'll do »

So disappointed to hear this news. I'm sure,whatever the reasons,they have tried their best. Here's to 2023 !

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Andy'll do wrote:
Fri 11 Feb 2022, 3:50 pm
So disappointed to hear this news. I'm sure,whatever the reasons,they have tried their best. Here's to 2023 !
Ditto 😥

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Looks like it won't be at Sywell in the future either and looking for a new venue.

Back to Duxord I wonder?

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

I'm quite convinced that without Duxford or Sywell as options then there won't be another Legends show. I really can't think of any other suitable venues...
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

TEXANTOMCAT

Post by TEXANTOMCAT »

Ah well :)

TT

Rick

Post by Rick »

Would Kemble work ?
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Rick wrote:
Fri 11 Feb 2022, 4:30 pm
Would Kemble work ?
There's only about 15 miles between Kemble and Fairford, so to make that work (if Kemble were agreeable to show there again), you would assume that Legends would have to move their date.

I'm struggling to think of an alternative in this country too, maybe Elvington? or maybe back to Duxford?

Its a shame its in doubt, being one of the two world class airshows we have in this country. I'd be very sorry if it was to end.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

North Weald?

Berf

Post by Berf »

Another candidate for the Scampton Aviation Heritage Centre...

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Blackbird wrote:
Fri 11 Feb 2022, 5:10 pm
North Weald?
I can see it under the current regs. Too much housing in the SE corner, old peoples home and industrial estateto the NE, plus the M11.

Kemble has lots of similar issues and is too full of airliners. Just too few places that are big enough, have good transport links and want a airshow like that there. Duxford was really the only logical place for it. Unless they could convince RIAT and the USAF to have it at Fairford the week after, or before RIAT? However that is lots of hassle. I think we will be left with RIAT,Cosford, Old warden, Duxford and sme small/seaside shows. A sad state of affairs.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

8674planes wrote:
Fri 11 Feb 2022, 4:22 pm
I'm quite convinced that without Duxford or Sywell as options then there won't be another Legends show. I really can't think of any other suitable venues...
I agree.
I wasn't convinced Legends would have ever worked at Sywell anyway, maybe for the best that it ends without ending up like Great Warbirds which fizzled out after a couple of lame efforts at Wroughton, which simply didn't have the atmosphere that the show had at Malling.

Its a terrible shame, but there will be increasing pressure on warbird ops in the coming years anyway, with issues around 100LL, and the general pressure from lunatic politicians in respect of the green menace.

I can forsee the start of a gradual decline in warbird restoration projects in the UK.

TheJannerDave

Post by TheJannerDave »

A huge shame as others have mentioned, can see the show going overseas ( not the fighter collection ) unless a relocation back to Duxford can be arranged.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

8674planes wrote:
Fri 11 Feb 2022, 4:22 pm
~It's a shame that Bruntingthorpe is covered in cars, 10 years ago that would have be a possible location. Central to the country and close to good road connections a long runway and plenty of hardstandings plus a collection of interesting aircraft albeit smaller than Duxford.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

TheJannerDave wrote:
Sat 12 Feb 2022, 12:02 am
A huge shame as others have mentioned, can see the show going overseas ( not the fighter collection ) unless a relocation back to Duxford can be arranged.
Not sure that there's much chance of it being held at Duxford again, given the apparent attitude of the current people at IWM......well not while the current IWM staff are employed there.

Not sure the show will go overseas either, unless TFC move overseas with it, as they are the organisers, and as such the logistics of organising a show too far away from your own HQ becomes impractical....and expensive. Sywell was probably just about doable in terms of distance from Duxford. Likewise, anywhere in the UK much further from Sywell was going to be the same issue, again, unless TFC find another site and also relocate the whole TFC fleet and staff etc to the new location.

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Sorry if this is the idiot question, but exactly what issue to IWM officials have with Legends? There have been a number of veiled references over the last year or two about this without it being clear what the problem is. Would someone also be able to remind who, in the final analysis, pays their salaries?

Andy

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Blackbird wrote:
Sat 12 Feb 2022, 11:46 am
Sorry if this is the idiot question, but exactly what issue to IWM officials have with Legends? There have been a number of veiled references over the last year or two about this without it being clear what the problem is. Would someone also be able to remind who, in the final analysis, pays their salaries?

Andy
From what I remember, money. Duxford felt they didn't get enough and wanted more. It was not an IWM airshow, just a show hosted at Duxford and therefore didn't give them the same revenue as their other 2 shows.

Maybe take it on the road, a new venue every year.

Or bring it to Northern Ireland, plenty of WWII airfields still in use here like Ards with a few having a rich connection to the RAF, USAF and Polish. About time you lot came here for shows instead of us trapsing across the Irish sea for the big shows ;)