Epping Ongar Railway Jubilee Steam Gala

Photos that are not aviation related
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Epping Ongar Railway Jubilee Steam Gala

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Went along to the Epping Ongar Railway's Jubilee Steam Gala yesterday. The railway runs through North Weald village and you can hear the trains from the airfield so it's something we'd been thinking about doing for a while, particularly when you're sat around bored on the airfield on a quiet day. Decided to try it over this weekend, as it looked to be good value for money at £20 entry with unlimited travel on the trains and buses, plus four steam locos in operation.

I'm a complete noob at this and it took me a while to get my eye in, and I should have ditched the telephoto for a smaller lens much sooner than I did - it's actually the first time I've properly used my EF-S 15-85mm and I've slept on the quality of it, I think it holds up quite well against the shots from my L series. Found the contrast between the dark subjects and the light hazy skies tricky to deal with in post processing too - blue skies might have helped.

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Buccaneer

Re: Epping Ongar Railway Jubilee Steam Gala

Post by Buccaneer »

Great shots, looks a place well worth a visit.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Buccaneer wrote:
Sun 05 Jun 2022, 12:06 am
Great shots, looks a place well worth a visit.
Thanks. I've nothing similar to compare it to but for what it's worth I thought it was a nice day out, and reasonably priced. Two of the locos (80078 & 75069) were visiting from other heritage railways just for the Steam Gala though, so not sure what other trains they have at EOR.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

CJS

Post by CJS »

I'm no train fan particularly but these are great - your shot of The Elizabethan is really nicely composed, as is the one above it, including the lady on the bench, who adds to the overall image nicely (if only she wasn't on her phone!).
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Nice Collection of Locos there and not shots to boot. Love the Class 4 Tanks with the little Freight Train.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Great shots. Covid has lead me to develop more of an interest in the railways and I'll have to bring my D-SLR along at some point.