Movies!

Re: Movies!

Postby Euan Buchan on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 1:15 pm

I'm watching Sully Miracle On The Hudson.
Euan Buchan

Postby Brevet Cable on Fri 04 Oct 2019, 5:07 pm

On DVD....just finished watching 'Cold Pursuit'
Despite missing out a few bits, it compares favourably with the original Norwegian film 'Kraftidioten' ( as it should, being a remake by the original film's director )

Next on the list is 'The Banana Splits Movie' :whistle:
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby toom317 on Sun 06 Oct 2019, 10:52 am

Valerian. Saw it in a charity shop for 99p and bought it. Awful, awful, awful. It's going back to the charity shop, for someone else to experience. :lol: I was talking to the manager of the charity shop, and she was saying charity shops are the new video rental stores, as folk tend to buy DVD's and then bring them back when they've watched them.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby toom317 on Sun 06 Oct 2019, 10:58 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Next on the list is 'The Banana Splits Movie' :whistle:

Looking forward to your review Brevet. Question is, will it be favourable, or just Sour Grapes.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 06 Oct 2019, 11:20 am

It's a splatterfest, so I'm hoping it'll be smashing :lol:

Edited to add....
toom317 wrote:Valerian. Saw it in a charity shop for 99p and bought it. Awful, awful, awful. It's going back to the charity shop, for someone else to experience. :lol:

Just noticed that it's being shown on Film4 tonight....21:00hrs, if anyone's interested. :biggrin:
Brevet Cable

Postby Skyflash on Thu 10 Oct 2019, 2:49 pm

Joker - superlative piece of film-making, and Joaquin Phoenix's performance is amazing, but dear god it must be the most depressing thing I've ever watched!

By all means go and see it; just don't expect to leave the cinema feeling particularly good about yourself, society or life in general. :sad:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 10 Oct 2019, 3:46 pm

That matches a lot of reviews I've read/heard about it, unfortunately the media seem to be solely fixated on the violence it contains.
Brevet Cable

Postby Finningley Boy on Thu 10 Oct 2019, 4:00 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:That matches a lot of reviews I've read/heard about it, unfortunately the media seem to be solely fixated on the violence it contains.

Indeed, given the Gratuitous level of violence graphically splattered over silver screen for years now, it must be really off the scale? But I'm fixing to go and see it Monday night. :biggrin:

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby 5944 on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 5:59 am

Finningley Boy wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:That matches a lot of reviews I've read/heard about it, unfortunately the media seem to be solely fixated on the violence it contains.

Indeed, given the Gratuitous level of violence graphically splattered over silver screen for years now, it must be really off the scale? But I'm fixing to go and see it Monday night. :biggrin:

FB

I went last week. I'm glad I saw it at the local cinema and only paid £7 for it. Very good acting, but I didn't think much of it as a film itself. It has little snippets of entertainment, but generally, I thought it rather dull. I even fell asleep in it for a few minutes! Maybe it'll be one of those films that you can rewatch and see it in a different light, and realise in a few years it's a classic, but I won't be bothering.

Postby Skyflash on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 10:23 am

It's not even especially violent; I think the reason people have reacted so strongly to the violence it does contain is that there is one scene in particular where the violence almost comes out of nowhere. It catches you by surprise more than anything else - shocking because you don't see it coming.

Like I say it's a bravura piece of film-making, but by god it's a depressing watch.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Postby Airwolfhound on Fri 11 Oct 2019, 11:48 am

I watched Rambo-Last Blood yesterday.

To be fair, I have enjoyed all of the Rambo films to date. The first one was very good, the fourth one is my next best, followed by 2 and 3. This fifth one shows him reacting to a civilian problem rather than military, and the violence was just in the film for the sake of it. It got a bit Skyfall(ish)/Home Alone at one stage of the film and it is very gory, even I winced at one particular scene, but overall thoroughly enjoyed it having gone in with zero expectations and brain in neutral :-)

If this is his final Rambo outing (considering Sly is 70+ years old now) it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Maybe someone will do Rambo prequels with him being recruited into the special forces etc so I guess the series can continue one way or another :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby Finningley Boy on Tue 15 Oct 2019, 11:18 pm

Airwolfhound wrote:Maybe someone will do Rambo prequels with him being recruited into the special forces etc so I guess the series can continue one way or another :-)

Stallone will need to get in trim for that, they'll maybe need to trowel on the make up as well. And if they do go for it, prepare for plenty of late '60s soundtracks; Cream, Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Buffalo Springfield etc etc.

FB :cuppa:
Finningley Boy

Postby Airwolfhound on Wed 16 Oct 2019, 7:14 am

Finningley Boy wrote:
Airwolfhound wrote:Maybe someone will do Rambo prequels with him being recruited into the special forces etc so I guess the series can continue one way or another :-)

Stallone will need to get in trim for that, they'll maybe need to trowel on the make up as well. And if they do go for it, prepare for plenty of late '60s soundtracks; Cream, Rolling Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Buffalo Springfield etc etc.

Well, was kinda thinking they would get someone else to play a younger JJR.

But the soundtrack sounds pretty good to me :-)

Airwolfhound

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 16 Oct 2019, 5:31 pm

'The Banana Splits Movie'
Brings back all those childhood memories, it's good, clean, wholesome fun for all the family.

:whistle:

:biggrin:
Brevet Cable

Postby Finningley Boy on Thu 17 Oct 2019, 3:13 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:'The Banana Splits Movie'
Brings back all those childhood memories, it's good, clean, wholesome fun for all the family.

:whistle:

:biggrin:

:up: :biggrin:

Finningley Boy

Postby starbuck on Thu 17 Oct 2019, 8:08 pm

Le Mans 66. Heard the trailer for this on the radio this morning, looks like it could be decent

https://youtu.be/mZrEPPGZ4LM
starbuck

Postby starbuck on Fri 08 Nov 2019, 4:45 pm

Pearl Harbour 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9laReRAYFk

Douglas Dauntless - Hot Rod of the skies :lol:
starbuck

Postby dazdaman on Fri 15 Nov 2019, 7:27 am

Midway

I'd read an online review of this one, and was prepared for it to be an absolute crap-storm of a film, but in actuality it's not that bad. It does at least try to stick to the facts of the attack, while focused on the dive- and torpedo-bomber crews on the USS Enterprise. It's a little too serious, and includes some dodgy dialogue, and some of the flight scenes are a bit OTT, but overall a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

Jaws

I've been packing up stuff for a house move, and I found an old VHS copy that I taped off the TV some 20 years ago, so I decided to stick it on to see if everything worked OK. It did, and with the original sound in play it reminded me of the first time I ever saw this classic. And I really have no idea how many times I've seen Jaws - on TV, VHS, DVD, Blu-ray or the big screen!!!
dazdaman

Postby dazdaman on Sat 16 Nov 2019, 4:31 pm

The Tiger: An Old Hunter's Tale

I only saw this film for the first time last year (it was released in 2015), and it's become one of my favourites.

A Japanese general in Korea in the 1920s wants every last tiger in the region hunted down, and tries to enlist the efforts of retired hunter Chun Man-Duk (Choi Min-Sik) to track down the last, a huge, one-eyed cat called The Mountain Lord. Man-Duk refuses, despite a very high casualty list among the hunters of the area. Only after a great personal loss does he agree to hunt the Mountain Lord down.

A tense, exciting, poignant film with some pretty decent creature effects and a lashings of blood and guts. I'd easily give it 9 out of 10.
dazdaman

Postby Airwolfhound on Mon 18 Nov 2019, 6:22 pm

Just seen Le Mans 66.

A very good film, with some poetic license, but a good depiction of the Ford Vs Ferrari timeline in the 60s. Some great racing sequences, and fabulous sound from those engines. Thoroughly enjoyed it :clap: :clap:

Airwolfhound

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 20 Nov 2019, 4:23 pm

Another DVD...
'The Quiet Earth' ( based on a book of the same name )
A quirky New Zealand-made SciFi film made in 1985 about an 'event' which causes almost all the people on Earth to disappear.

For the first half ( or more ) of the film there's only one person in it, then there's two, and eventually three. ( OK, there are 3 other characters who only appear briefly in flash-backs, and a couple of dead bodies )
As you'd expect given when it was made, the special effects aren't exactly brilliant.
If you've ever seen it, the obvious question ( other than 'what the.....!' at the ending ) is....who wouldn't do the sort of stupid things the main character does in the first half? :lol:

It's one of those films which is begging for a remake....but then it would probably be done by the Americans, be set in America, have more people, and generally get screwed-up.
Brevet Cable

Postby Mooshie1956 on Wed 20 Nov 2019, 6:49 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:Another DVD...
'The Quiet Earth' ( based on a book of the same name )
A quirky New Zealand-made SciFi film made in 1985 about an 'event' which causes almost all the people on Earth to disappear.

For the first half ( or more ) of the film there's only one person in it, then there's two, and eventually three. ( OK, there are 3 other characters who only appear briefly in flash-backs, and a couple of dead bodies )
As you'd expect given when it was made, the special effects aren't exactly brilliant.
If you've ever seen it, the obvious question ( other than 'what the.....!' at the ending ) is....who wouldn't do the sort of stupid things the main character does in the first half? :lol:

It's one of those films which is begging for a remake....but then it would probably be done by the Americans, be set in America, have more people, and generally get screwed-up.

Didn't they make a TV series, Netflix or Amazon called Last Man on Earth. Sounds like a similar sort of plot.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens
Mooshie1956

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 20 Nov 2019, 7:21 pm

Yep, that one's free on Amazon Prime at the moment.
Different context, though, as the series is the usual 'wiped out by a virus' scenario.
There have been several other films/series of the same name, but they have more in common with 'The Omega Man'.
Brevet Cable

Postby dazdaman on Mon 25 Nov 2019, 11:30 pm

Rogue

An Australian sightseeing boat gets attacked by a massive saltwater crocodile and is left stranded in the middle of the outback. The tourists have to try and figure out a way to get out without becoming croc-bait.

That's pretty much it! Pretty decent film, though, with some good effects work for the massive salty. A tense, satisfying and pretty gruesome thriller.
dazdaman

The Irishman

Postby tankbuster on Wed 27 Nov 2019, 7:01 pm

Saw the Irishman on the big screen this afternoon, IMHO a genuinely great piece of cinema.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic