President Trump

Re: President Trump

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 19 Dec 2019, 2:37 pm

Yep...Boris may have copied his campaigning tactics - although I don't recall Trump doing Selwyn Frogitt impressions - but he missed a trick by not coming out with 'Make Britain Great again' instead of his long-winded 'Make Britain the greatest place on Earth'...that doesn't fit neatly on a chav-hat, does it. :lol:

Edited to add....
Granted it's never been particularly high, but I see it's being reported that Trump's approval Rating has gone up by 4 points since last night's Impeachment vote.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Thu 19 Dec 2019, 5:08 pm

Brevet Cable wrote: I see it's being reported that Trump's approval Rating has gone up by 4 points since last night's Impeachment vote.

Remember people, this is one of the most powerful counties in the world, one who goes around telling counties what to do (with diddly squat authorisation to do so I might add) and they increase their backing for a leader the day after he is impeached. I'm sure not all Americans are stupid - I've met a fair few who are the opposite - but Jesus, some of them are.

God help us (or Allah or whoever, or no god etc etc...)
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby CJS on Fri 10 Jan 2020, 9:54 pm

More bellendery from the world's biggest bellend.

He actually said this out loud folks...

"I'm going to tell you about the Nobel Peace Prize, I'll tell you about that. I made a deal, I saved a country, and I just heard that the head of that country is now getting the Nobel Peace Prize for saving the country. I said: 'What, did I have something to do with it?' Yeah, but you know, that's the way it is. As long as we know, that's all that matters... I saved a big war, I've saved a couple of them."

:joystick: :surrender: :roll:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-51063149
CJS

Postby Finningley Boy on Tue 14 Jan 2020, 3:34 pm

CJS wrote:More bellendery from the world's biggest bellend.

"I'm going to tell you about the Nobel Peace Prize, I'll tell you about that. I made a deal, I saved a country, and I just heard that the head of that country is now getting the Nobel Peace Prize for saving the country. I said: 'What, did I have something to do with it?' Yeah, but you know, that's the way it is. As long as we know, that's all that matters... I saved a big war, I've saved a couple of them."

CJS,

You and others really need to take the great man for what he is, a very funny President! :biggrin:

FB :cuppa:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!
Finningley Boy

Postby CJS on Tue 14 Jan 2020, 3:46 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:

CJS,

You and others really need to take the great man for what he is, a very funny President! :biggrin:

a) I assume you're joking and;
b) I don't want the primary quality of the PUSA to be that they are 'very funny'
CJS

Postby parsley on Tue 14 Jan 2020, 4:38 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:

CJS,

And even funnier that the Ethiopian President was awarded the Prize for something that had nothing to do with Trump whereas Trump thinks it was for something completely different involving both himself and Ethiopia which has so far failed !
parsley
UKAR Supporter

Postby Finningley Boy on Tue 14 Jan 2020, 5:22 pm

I say come along chaps, what harm could he possibly do? :biggrin:

Finningley Boy

Postby CJS on Tue 14 Jan 2020, 9:15 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:I say come along chaps, what harm could he possibly do? :biggrin:

Someone spiked your drink today?
CJS

Postby CJS on Tue 21 Jan 2020, 2:11 pm

CJS

Postby verreli on Tue 21 Jan 2020, 2:34 pm

I only watched the part of his speech in your BBC link but I'm curious to understand which bit you thought was inaccurate. Seems like what he's suggesting is that many commentators (or doom-mongers) are prejudice with conjecture. A position which may not be too far from the truth.

The elephant in the room is still population growth (4.6 million more consuming and releasing energy in the 21 days so far this year), not carbon dioxide, but will the world end if we continue as present? Unlikely. I suspect that 99% of attendees at the event don't understand the science and have jumped on the bandwagon.

As for his main theme of optimism, what is there to fear about the future?
verreli

Postby CJS on Tue 21 Jan 2020, 3:44 pm

verreli wrote:

I only watched the part of his speech in your BBC link but I'm curious to understand which bit you thought was inaccurate. Seems like what he's suggesting is that many commentators (or doom-mongers) are prejudice with conjecture. A position which may not be too far from the truth.

The elephant in the room is still population growth, not carbon dioxide, but will the world end if we continue as present? Unlikely. I suspect that 99% of attendees at the event don't understand the science and have jumped on the bandwagon.

I never actually said he was being inaccurate, I said I thought he was an idiot.

Three times.

I stand by that.

verreli wrote:As for his main theme of optimism, what is there to fear about the future?

Oh nothing, I mean it's all totally fine...

Climate change isn't happening, the world isn't heating up, sea levels definitely aren't rising, large parts of Australia certainly aren't on fire and the polar ice caps are getting bigger if anything.

And, crucially of course, there's nothing at all humankind can do to help and anyway, why should we because it's not like any of it is down to us.

You're right verelli, I take it all back.

He's virtually Dumbledore like in his wisdom :tumbleweed:

:wall:
CJS

Postby verreli on Tue 21 Jan 2020, 4:06 pm

CJS wrote:I never actually said he was being inaccurate, I said I thought he was an idiot.

So you're saying he's an accurate idiot. Fair enough.

CJS wrote:Climate change isn't happening, the world isn't heating up, sea levels definitely aren't rising, large parts of Australia certainly aren't on fire and the polar ice caps are getting bigger if anything.

And, crucially of course, there's nothing at all humankind can do to help and anyway, why should we because it's not like any of it is down to us.

You're right verelli, I take it all back.

He's virtually Dumbledore like in his wisdom

That's what happens when you come out of an ice age as the world is still doing. Yes, humans are accelerating the process with ever more energy being released into the atmosphere, but are we all going to drop dead from an extra 3 Kelvin? As I've mentioned a few times, I think humans are going to be affected more by population growth than climate change [migration / famine / resource poverty]. I also think that any grand plan to 'correct' the climate could have unintended consequences with the decision being made by someone who doesn't understand the science and is being led by one or more pressure groups.

I'm optimistic though. I'm thinking of establishing a new vineyard. I think I'll call it *** Verreli Vineyard ***.
verreli

Postby Finningley Boy on Tue 21 Jan 2020, 11:05 pm

CJS,

You haven't joined extinction Rebellion?... Surely not?! :shock:

Finningley Boy

Postby toom317 on Wed 22 Jan 2020, 10:51 am

Listened to a bit of his speech yesterday, and I have to say I was impressed. Always thought he was a bit of a self centered, humourless prick, but after all the things he says he has achieved as president, I'm now convinced he's the saviour of the universe. :lol:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby iainpeden on Wed 22 Jan 2020, 11:53 am

toom317 wrote:Listened to a bit of his speech yesterday, and I have to say I was impressed. Always thought he was a bit of a self centered, humourless prick, but after all the things he says he has achieved as president, I'm now convinced he's the saviour of the universe. :lol:

Given that his economic policies have benefited the lower skilled, rust belt workers who are his voter base there's a good chance the majority of American voters may agree with you next Autumn. Thank goodness he's only allowed 2 terms in office.
iainpeden

Postby Finningley Boy on Wed 22 Jan 2020, 9:13 pm

Trump can do his worst, or his best, I'm convinced that Threater Thunberg has it right. By tomorrow morning all road and air transport should have ceased operating, all lights should be switched off, unless powered by solar panel, wind farm of wave machine. And that's the way it should remain forever. :surrender:

Finningley Boy

Postby CJS on Wed 22 Jan 2020, 9:20 pm

Finningley Boy wrote:Trump can do his worst, or his best, I'm convinced that Threater Thunberg has it right. By tomorrow morning all road and air transport should have ceased operating, all lights should be switched off, unless powered by solar panel, wind farm of wave machine. And that's the way it should remain forever. :surrender:

Why did you call her Threater? What a strange thing to do :dunno:

Apart from that, all very good points, well made. I'll send you a link to the ER membership form shall I? :butt:
CJS

Postby Finningley Boy on Thu 23 Jan 2020, 1:10 am

CJS wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:Trump can do his worst, or his best, I'm convinced that Threater Thunberg has it right. By tomorrow morning all road and air transport should have ceased operating, all lights should be switched off, unless powered by solar panel, wind farm of wave machine. And that's the way it should remain forever. :surrender:

Why did you call her Threater? What a strange thing to do :dunno:

Apart from that, all very good points, well made. I'll send you a link to the ER membership form shall I? :butt:

To wind up characters like you.

If we took Threater seriously and acted upon her zealous demands, literally, in order to avoid the "threat" of planetary extinction, then anarchy, lawlessness, empty shops in fact a complete break down in civilization would quickly follow. Remember what she said, we don't have time to wait for new technologies to take over, we must act now. What would be grand is if the Climate Change doomsayers were to park their doom mongering "threats" and propose a realistic plan to pursue. As oppose to sweeping demands for abandoning the structures of civilization and economic output. They push forward a simple choice die of climate change or die of the results of their witless demands. :dunno:

As for the ER membership form you strike me as someone who would have access to plenty of them, do you not find yourself an oddity on a forum like this?

FB
Finningley Boy

Postby CJS on Thu 23 Jan 2020, 6:35 am

I find my self an oddity on here for many reasons.

You're entitled to poke fun at her of course, I just don't actually get the Threater joke, that's all. Presumably because it's not very funny.

You (and anyone else) are also perfectly entitled to disagree with what she's saying. Although it does strike me as perhaps telling that you're happy to pick on the angry 16 year old who's trying to make a difference, yet I don't think I've ever heard a bad word said about David Attenborough, who said just the other day that she's managed to achieve more in a year than some of us have in more than 20 (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it).

Surely he should come in for at least as much mockery? He certainly believes in the same cause.

Picking on the easiest target? Classy :up:

Back on topic: I'm not defending Trump (although some on here seem happy to :roll: ) but doesn't it strike you as odd that the Democrats seem to have thrown away the chance to call John Bolton as a witness, because they don't want to do a witness trade for Hunter Biden? As they keep banging on about being allowed to have witnesses, surely this would have been a sensible compromise (unless of course they know something about Biden that the Republicans don't!).
CJS

Postby Tommy on Thu 23 Jan 2020, 7:38 am

Finningley Boy wrote:If we took Threater seriously and acted upon her zealous demands, literally, in order to avoid the "threat" of planetary extinction, then anarchy, lawlessness, empty shops in fact a complete break down in civilization would quickly follow. Remember what she said, we don't have time to wait for new technologies to take over, we must act now. What would be grand is if the Climate Change doomsayers were to park their doom mongering "threats" and propose a realistic plan to pursue. As oppose to sweeping demands for abandoning the structures of civilization and economic output. They push forward a simple choice die of climate change or die of the results of their witless demands. :dunno:

As for the ER membership form you strike me as someone who would have access to plenty of them, do you not find yourself an oddity on a forum like this?

FB

I suppose you can believe what you wish to believe about climate change, but I must say I’m no fan of how many adults will routinely jump to poke fun at a child. And Chris makes a good point about Attenborough - going to call him something equally boring like, I don’t know, “Drama Attenborough”?

You can make an argument, disagree with her, do all of those things without calling her an (IMO unfunny and not very pithy) derogatory name. Idk. Maybe I’m wrong. But it seems quite noteworthy that it is the grown adults resorting to playground politics, rather than the child. :dunno:

And as for her “zealous demands” has she said any of that? I thought that her only demand was to “unite behind the science”, which to me should be a no-brainier, but much like Brexit or anything else these days, it seems that once you’ve picked a side, no amount of facts will turn you from it.

Finningley Boy wrote:What would be grand is if the Climate Change doomsayers were to park their doom mongering "threats" and propose a realistic plan to pursue. As oppose to sweeping demands for abandoning the structures of civilization and economic output. They push forward a simple choice die of climate change or die of the results of their witless demands. :dunno:

Again, think what you want about climate change, but isn’t that what has happened? The Paris Agreement was an ambitious yet doable international arrangement on tackling climate change, but Trump and his fragile ego pulled out of it, without any justification other than it being “bad”, probably simply because it was from the Obama-era.

Climate change has been well-known for over two decades now. Reasonable policies and ways to tackle it have come and go, but still the world’s leaders have done nothing material. They’ve procrastinated and obfuscated.

So even if there are “doomsayer” threats to “abandon the structures of civilisation and economic output”, which I don’t think there are, they are threats made in the face of twenty years of inaction by those in power.

You can think, believe, hold on to whatever you want about climate change, but what you’re doing, FB (as per usual, I think) is resorting to absolutionism. You’re trying to devalue the other side of the argument by making it sound extreme. You’re kicking the ball right into the long grass. As you did in Brexit (and other) discussions.

As I say, perhaps I’m wrong. I normally am. But you can think and say what you like about climate change and those making a fuss about it without resorting to playground insults and absolutionism. :dunno:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Previous

Return to Off Topic