President Trump

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Brevet Cable

Re: President Trump

Post by Brevet Cable »

Yep...Boris may have copied his campaigning tactics - although I don't recall Trump doing Selwyn Frogitt impressions - but he missed a trick by not coming out with 'Make Britain Great again' instead of his long-winded 'Make Britain the greatest place on Earth'...that doesn't fit neatly on a chav-hat, does it. :lol:

Edited to add....
Granted it's never been particularly high, but I see it's being reported that Trump's approval Rating has gone up by 4 points since last night's Impeachment vote.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote: I see it's being reported that Trump's approval Rating has gone up by 4 points since last night's Impeachment vote.

Remember people, this is one of the most powerful counties in the world, one who goes around telling counties what to do (with diddly squat authorisation to do so I might add) and they increase their backing for a leader the day after he is impeached. I'm sure not all Americans are stupid - I've met a fair few who are the opposite - but Jesus, some of them are.

God help us (or Allah or whoever, or no god etc etc...)
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

CJS

Post by CJS »

More bellendery from the world's biggest bellend.

He actually said this out loud folks...

"I'm going to tell you about the Nobel Peace Prize, I'll tell you about that. I made a deal, I saved a country, and I just heard that the head of that country is now getting the Nobel Peace Prize for saving the country. I said: 'What, did I have something to do with it?' Yeah, but you know, that's the way it is. As long as we know, that's all that matters... I saved a big war, I've saved a couple of them."

:joystick: :surrender: :roll:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-51063149

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

CJS wrote:More bellendery from the world's biggest bellend.

"I'm going to tell you about the Nobel Peace Prize, I'll tell you about that. I made a deal, I saved a country, and I just heard that the head of that country is now getting the Nobel Peace Prize for saving the country. I said: 'What, did I have something to do with it?' Yeah, but you know, that's the way it is. As long as we know, that's all that matters... I saved a big war, I've saved a couple of them."

CJS,

You and others really need to take the great man for what he is, a very funny President! :biggrin:

FB :cuppa:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Finningley Boy wrote:

CJS,

You and others really need to take the great man for what he is, a very funny President! :biggrin:

a) I assume you're joking and;
b) I don't want the primary quality of the PUSA to be that they are 'very funny'

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Finningley Boy wrote:

CJS,

And even funnier that the Ethiopian President was awarded the Prize for something that had nothing to do with Trump whereas Trump thinks it was for something completely different involving both himself and Ethiopia which has so far failed !

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

I say come along chaps, what harm could he possibly do? :biggrin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Finningley Boy wrote:I say come along chaps, what harm could he possibly do? :biggrin:

Someone spiked your drink today?

CJS

Post by CJS »

verreli

Post by verreli »

I only watched the part of his speech in your BBC link but I'm curious to understand which bit you thought was inaccurate. Seems like what he's suggesting is that many commentators (or doom-mongers) are prejudice with conjecture. A position which may not be too far from the truth.

The elephant in the room is still population growth (4.6 million more consuming and releasing energy in the 21 days so far this year), not carbon dioxide, but will the world end if we continue as present? Unlikely. I suspect that 99% of attendees at the event don't understand the science and have jumped on the bandwagon.

As for his main theme of optimism, what is there to fear about the future?

CJS

Post by CJS »

verreli wrote:

I only watched the part of his speech in your BBC link but I'm curious to understand which bit you thought was inaccurate. Seems like what he's suggesting is that many commentators (or doom-mongers) are prejudice with conjecture. A position which may not be too far from the truth.

The elephant in the room is still population growth, not carbon dioxide, but will the world end if we continue as present? Unlikely. I suspect that 99% of attendees at the event don't understand the science and have jumped on the bandwagon.

I never actually said he was being inaccurate, I said I thought he was an idiot.

Three times.

I stand by that.

verreli wrote:As for his main theme of optimism, what is there to fear about the future?

Oh nothing, I mean it's all totally fine...

Climate change isn't happening, the world isn't heating up, sea levels definitely aren't rising, large parts of Australia certainly aren't on fire and the polar ice caps are getting bigger if anything.

And, crucially of course, there's nothing at all humankind can do to help and anyway, why should we because it's not like any of it is down to us.

You're right verelli, I take it all back.

He's virtually Dumbledore like in his wisdom :tumbleweed:

:wall:

verreli

Post by verreli »

CJS wrote:I never actually said he was being inaccurate, I said I thought he was an idiot.

So you're saying he's an accurate idiot. Fair enough.

CJS wrote:Climate change isn't happening, the world isn't heating up, sea levels definitely aren't rising, large parts of Australia certainly aren't on fire and the polar ice caps are getting bigger if anything.

And, crucially of course, there's nothing at all humankind can do to help and anyway, why should we because it's not like any of it is down to us.

You're right verelli, I take it all back.

He's virtually Dumbledore like in his wisdom

That's what happens when you come out of an ice age as the world is still doing. Yes, humans are accelerating the process with ever more energy being released into the atmosphere, but are we all going to drop dead from an extra 3 Kelvin? As I've mentioned a few times, I think humans are going to be affected more by population growth than climate change [migration / famine / resource poverty]. I also think that any grand plan to 'correct' the climate could have unintended consequences with the decision being made by someone who doesn't understand the science and is being led by one or more pressure groups.

I'm optimistic though. I'm thinking of establishing a new vineyard. I think I'll call it *** Verreli Vineyard ***.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

CJS,

You haven't joined extinction Rebellion?... Surely not?! :shock:

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Listened to a bit of his speech yesterday, and I have to say I was impressed. Always thought he was a bit of a self centered, humourless prick, but after all the things he says he has achieved as president, I'm now convinced he's the saviour of the universe. :lol:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

toom317 wrote:Listened to a bit of his speech yesterday, and I have to say I was impressed. Always thought he was a bit of a self centered, humourless prick, but after all the things he says he has achieved as president, I'm now convinced he's the saviour of the universe. :lol:

Given that his economic policies have benefited the lower skilled, rust belt workers who are his voter base there's a good chance the majority of American voters may agree with you next Autumn. Thank goodness he's only allowed 2 terms in office.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Trump can do his worst, or his best, I'm convinced that Threater Thunberg has it right. By tomorrow morning all road and air transport should have ceased operating, all lights should be switched off, unless powered by solar panel, wind farm of wave machine. And that's the way it should remain forever. :surrender:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Finningley Boy wrote:Trump can do his worst, or his best, I'm convinced that Threater Thunberg has it right. By tomorrow morning all road and air transport should have ceased operating, all lights should be switched off, unless powered by solar panel, wind farm of wave machine. And that's the way it should remain forever. :surrender:

Why did you call her Threater? What a strange thing to do :dunno:

Apart from that, all very good points, well made. I'll send you a link to the ER membership form shall I? :butt:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

CJS wrote:
Finningley Boy wrote:Trump can do his worst, or his best, I'm convinced that Threater Thunberg has it right. By tomorrow morning all road and air transport should have ceased operating, all lights should be switched off, unless powered by solar panel, wind farm of wave machine. And that's the way it should remain forever. :surrender:

Why did you call her Threater? What a strange thing to do :dunno:

Apart from that, all very good points, well made. I'll send you a link to the ER membership form shall I? :butt:

To wind up characters like you.

If we took Threater seriously and acted upon her zealous demands, literally, in order to avoid the "threat" of planetary extinction, then anarchy, lawlessness, empty shops in fact a complete break down in civilization would quickly follow. Remember what she said, we don't have time to wait for new technologies to take over, we must act now. What would be grand is if the Climate Change doomsayers were to park their doom mongering "threats" and propose a realistic plan to pursue. As oppose to sweeping demands for abandoning the structures of civilization and economic output. They push forward a simple choice die of climate change or die of the results of their witless demands. :dunno:

As for the ER membership form you strike me as someone who would have access to plenty of them, do you not find yourself an oddity on a forum like this?

FB

CJS

Post by CJS »

I find my self an oddity on here for many reasons.

You're entitled to poke fun at her of course, I just don't actually get the Threater joke, that's all. Presumably because it's not very funny.

You (and anyone else) are also perfectly entitled to disagree with what she's saying. Although it does strike me as perhaps telling that you're happy to pick on the angry 16 year old who's trying to make a difference, yet I don't think I've ever heard a bad word said about David Attenborough, who said just the other day that she's managed to achieve more in a year than some of us have in more than 20 (I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist of it).

Surely he should come in for at least as much mockery? He certainly believes in the same cause.

Picking on the easiest target? Classy :up:

Back on topic: I'm not defending Trump (although some on here seem happy to :roll: ) but doesn't it strike you as odd that the Democrats seem to have thrown away the chance to call John Bolton as a witness, because they don't want to do a witness trade for Hunter Biden? As they keep banging on about being allowed to have witnesses, surely this would have been a sensible compromise (unless of course they know something about Biden that the Republicans don't!).

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Finningley Boy wrote:If we took Threater seriously and acted upon her zealous demands, literally, in order to avoid the "threat" of planetary extinction, then anarchy, lawlessness, empty shops in fact a complete break down in civilization would quickly follow. Remember what she said, we don't have time to wait for new technologies to take over, we must act now. What would be grand is if the Climate Change doomsayers were to park their doom mongering "threats" and propose a realistic plan to pursue. As oppose to sweeping demands for abandoning the structures of civilization and economic output. They push forward a simple choice die of climate change or die of the results of their witless demands. :dunno:

As for the ER membership form you strike me as someone who would have access to plenty of them, do you not find yourself an oddity on a forum like this?

FB

I suppose you can believe what you wish to believe about climate change, but I must say I’m no fan of how many adults will routinely jump to poke fun at a child. And Chris makes a good point about Attenborough - going to call him something equally boring like, I don’t know, “Drama Attenborough”?

You can make an argument, disagree with her, do all of those things without calling her an (IMO unfunny and not very pithy) derogatory name. Idk. Maybe I’m wrong. But it seems quite noteworthy that it is the grown adults resorting to playground politics, rather than the child. :dunno:

And as for her “zealous demands” has she said any of that? I thought that her only demand was to “unite behind the science”, which to me should be a no-brainier, but much like Brexit or anything else these days, it seems that once you’ve picked a side, no amount of facts will turn you from it.

Finningley Boy wrote:What would be grand is if the Climate Change doomsayers were to park their doom mongering "threats" and propose a realistic plan to pursue. As oppose to sweeping demands for abandoning the structures of civilization and economic output. They push forward a simple choice die of climate change or die of the results of their witless demands. :dunno:

Again, think what you want about climate change, but isn’t that what has happened? The Paris Agreement was an ambitious yet doable international arrangement on tackling climate change, but Trump and his fragile ego pulled out of it, without any justification other than it being “bad”, probably simply because it was from the Obama-era.

Climate change has been well-known for over two decades now. Reasonable policies and ways to tackle it have come and go, but still the world’s leaders have done nothing material. They’ve procrastinated and obfuscated.

So even if there are “doomsayer” threats to “abandon the structures of civilisation and economic output”, which I don’t think there are, they are threats made in the face of twenty years of inaction by those in power.

You can think, believe, hold on to whatever you want about climate change, but what you’re doing, FB (as per usual, I think) is resorting to absolutionism. You’re trying to devalue the other side of the argument by making it sound extreme. You’re kicking the ball right into the long grass. As you did in Brexit (and other) discussions.

As I say, perhaps I’m wrong. I normally am. But you can think and say what you like about climate change and those making a fuss about it without resorting to playground insults and absolutionism. :dunno:

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Tommy and CJS,

Tommy in particular, I don't know how long you spend typing your extensive responses but anyway. I'll pick a couple of points, you say climate change has been a concern for two decades now. No it hasn't, it has been a major concern for five or more decades, easily. Go and ask Lord Attenborough. Long before you were born Tommy, all the way back in the late 1970s, we were all told we were heading toward the next ice age, and yes it would be here before we knew it. And sure enough, a couple of extra-cold winters over those years made the notion quite convincing. Now unlike the denial you accuse me and others of, I would simply say that the science of the day was mistaken. A year or two on and in 1981, there abouts we were being foretold of Global warming, we weren't to use deodorants or hair spray any longer because it was creating a huge hole in the ozone layer, which interestingly was trapping warm air which in turn was warming up the planet. Global warming, we were done for.

By 1988/89, I recall watching a lady professor on the telly warning that unless everybody planted a tree each, then we would have had it by now certainly. A documentary aired on new years day 1990, looking ahead to new year's day 2000, we were told the average temperature then would be 18 degrees celcius across the UK.

Contrary to your preferred assessment of myself gentlemen, I am convinced that there is a dramatic shift in the climate across the globe. We're actually lucky at present in the northern hemisphere. Meanwhile, forget Greta Thunberg, she's as difficult to challenge not because she's a child, she's 17, but because she is perceived as such by patronizing folk like yourselves. So how about Roger Hallam, ER co-General Director or whatever title he has. He's nearer my age and is a white male, this is another one who wants all flying to cease immediately and all petrol cars off the road, he wants all coal fired anything shut down and he wants it all before 2025. Or I'm given to understand, 2021.

Not realistic. But what really discredits the Hallam's of this world is their tunnel vision on attacking Anglo-American, or more broadly western economic interests, seemingly exclusively. If we were witless enough to attempt his programme of panic shut down, we'd be for it, believe you me. We'd especially be finished if we here in the UK went ahead single handed trying to attempt such a degree of self economic harm and yes, attack on our very survival.

Without any realistic and comparative effort by all the major carbon output nations on the planet, chief among them China, India and the USA, then our most extreme and zealous efforts would have very little impact. Put it this way, if either of you were to wake up tomorrow morning and find that you were the sole human left in the British isles, while everything else had been returned to natural unspoiled habitat with sabre-toothed pussy cats and all, it wouldn't make a jot of difference to climate change. As the carbon output, as it stands from the rest of the planet would continue unabated. And before you accuse me of using this as an excuse for doing nothing, I certainly don't. We have in the UK one of the best records in using renewables and offsetting the effects of climate change. But this passes unnoticed.

One more point, the well healed self-appointed people out to do right about climate change at Davos this year have, so I'm told, pitched up in no fewer than 600 private jets. At least Trump showed up in Marine One, I'm not sure what the comparison in carbon output is, but I imagine it is less for a chopper. This brings me on to one more point, I trust we won't be seeing you at any air shows this year, except to protest from outside the fence.

There are many ways of making a serious dent in climate change, but the Greta Thunbergs and Roger Hallams, don't have any answers, the first has been driven to obsession by someone some how, which is rather worrying in itself, the latter seems to have a rather more over bearing political agenda.

One final point, if you want to Lionise any youngsters for doing something about climate change, then look up Boyan Slat, a 23-year old who has actually designed the world's first ocean clean-up system. He achieved this at age 16! This cleans the oceans of plastics. He has 270,000 hits on his google search. Greta, the great sayer, sharing her anger and frustration at the older generation for nicking her childhood, google search, 176,000,000 results. Hmmm!

Best wishes,

CJS

Post by CJS »

Well there we go, you are able to form a coherent argument without resorting to name calling (heck, you even called her Greta in this one :clap: )

I don't agree with you, but at least now you've done it in a polite way.

I'm not going to comment on most of your post, because I think we just fundamentally disagree on various points, which of course is fine.

I will pick you up on Trump arriving in Marine One, because my guess would be he flew to somewhere in Europe in AF1 then got Marine 1 the rest of the way - the private jet to end all private jets, surely?!

And no, obviously I will be attending RIAT this year, as I do every year. I will also continue to use plastic when I can't find a better alternative (or sometimes when I can't be bothered), I will drive more than I probably should and I will most likely leave lights on that I could do without.

I'll also continue my own ban on flying, my donations to the Green party and carrying my litter picker with me when I go out with my 4 year old.

As for
Finningley Boy wrote:One final point, if you want to Lionise any youngsters for doing something about climate change, then look up Boyan Slat, a 23-year old who has actually designed the world's first ocean clean-up system. He achieved this at age 16! This cleans the oceans of plastics. He has 270,000 hits on his google search. Greta, the great sayer, sharing her anger and frustration at the older generation for nicking her childhood, google search, 176,000,000 results. Hmmm!
well, I would just say that yes, he seems great, an example to us all and someone who's clearly doing a massive thing to help the world. Good on him.

But I'm sorry, I still don't see what the problem is with Thunberg "sharing her anger and frustration at the older generation for nicking her childhood" too. I really don't.

Every little helps and all that.

And for the record, I'm not a member of ER :up:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZYcoeqzxVI[/youtube]

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Finningley Boy wrote: I'll pick a couple of points, you say climate change has been a concern for two decades now.

No I didn’t. I said “over” two decades.

Finningley Boy wrote: Now unlike the denial you accuse me and others of

Contrary to your preferred assessment of myself gentlemen

I didn’t accuse you of anything. I have no “preferred assessment of yourself gentleman”. I said several times that you can think what you like about climate change.

Finningley Boy wrote: Meanwhile, forget Greta Thunberg, she's as difficult to challenge not because she's a child, she's 17

Well you were the one that first brought her up in this discussion. So what do you want to do, talk about her or forget her? Up to you, mate.

Yes. The age of 17 is a child. She’s below the age of 18, which is the age of majority, the threshold for being considered an adult. So yeah, she’s a child. I don’t think it’s patronising to anyone to call them what their legal status is.

Everything you say on climate change might be right or might be wrong. I don’t know. That wasn’t really the discussion I was having with you, so a considerable part of your post is probably redundant. I’m probably pretty in line with some of your thinking above. I didn’t really express my own opinion on climate change at all. I just picked up on your absolutionism and playground insults at a child. Honestly, i know you commented on my long post, but if you’re going to disagree, you should really read them, first. An effort, I know, but debate is better that way.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

As for
Finningley Boy wrote:One final point, if you want to Lionise any youngsters for doing something about climate change, then look up Boyan Slat, a 23-year old who has actually designed the world's first ocean clean-up system. He achieved this at age 16! This cleans the oceans of plastics. He has 270,000 hits on his google search. Greta, the great sayer, sharing her anger and frustration at the older generation for nicking her childhood, google search, 176,000,000 results. Hmmm!
well, I would just say that yes, he seems great, an example to us all and someone who's clearly doing a massive thing to help the world. Good on him.

But I'm sorry, I still don't see what the problem is with Thunberg "sharing her anger and frustration at the older generation for nicking her childhood" too. I really don't

The thrust of the point above is the level of interest in one compared with the other. But I'm sure that hasn't passed you by rather you've chosen to ignore the salient point about the media interest.

FB
Last edited by Finningley Boy on Fri 24 Jan 2020, 2:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Tommy,

I haven't got the time to go through each of your ponderous responses, separating half sentences etc and splitting hairs pointing out you said "over two decades" as oppose to two decades. So did you mean three, four? I'm sure if you meant significantly more than two you would have been a tad more clear.

FB