COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Tomahawk

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by Tomahawk »

vandal wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 11:07 pm
Tomahawk wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 10:28 pm
Spiny Norman wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 7:43 pm
Now it looks like Dominic Cummings is another who broke the government's lockdown guidelines, while having Covid-19 symptoms.

What'll he do after his inevitable resignation?
Perhaps the PM will use the same excuse in not acting that Nicola Sturgeon used when Scotland's CMO was caught out the first time and not sacked immediately.

All politicians and parties are bad but the SNP cohort at Westminster has taken sanctimony to a new level.
I believe Nicola Sturgeon was unaware that the CMO was guilty of having travelled over two weekends. When she (CMO) came clean, Nicola re-evaluated her position on the matter.

Same however cannot be said for Robert Jenrick, who visited his parents who lived rurally, despite writing in a newspaper column or suchlike that those living rurally should seek the help of neighbours.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... g-lockdown

The following is from an article in The Scotsman.

- It was reported that Mr Jenrick’s parents have been getting help with their groceries and medication from neighbours.

In an article two weeks ago, Mr Jenrick urged family members not to travel to visit elderly relatives and instead trust local communities to look after them. -

Whether he observed social distancing or not is irrelevant. He wrote in an article what I posted above, then he clearly ignored his own advice.
Nice attempted deflection, Sturgeon knew that guidelines had been broken and initially chose to keep the CMO in post rejecting the same type of calls for action from opposition parties that are now coming from her Westminster colleague, Blackford, who says that, based on this one known transgression, Cummings has to go.

Of course Cummings should go and Jenrick should have gone but that doesn't change the fact that the SNP, and their Westminster leader in particular, are a sanctimonious bunch.
Last edited by Tomahawk on Sat 23 May 2020, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 10:39 pm
It actually happened was not hidden away in any shape or form there are even photos from the event, it was a well documented event.
Of course it happened but the fact that Event 201 was real is not the point though, is it?

Two type of event based conspiracy theory;

1. The loonies are suggesting the event didn't actually happen and someone is pretending it did, for example the Moon Landings.
2. The loonies are suggesting the event did happen but not in the way or for the reasons stated, for example the 9/11 attacks

Event 201 falls into the second category, so we know what kind you are.....

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Tomahawk wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 11:59 pm

1. The loonies are suggesting the event didn't actually happen and someone is pretending it did, for example the Moon Landings.
2. The loonies are suggesting the event did happen but not in the way or for the reasons stated, for example the 9/11 attacks

Some people Open their eyes and dont believe eveything they are told, some make up their own minds based on not just following the line like blind mice.

Conspiracy Theories (from what I have read) have lots of different theories - many far fetched Rubbish.

I do not follow or believe most of the rubbish pushed by some CT's, but I also know when our Gov is taking us for a ride and treating us all like fools.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Tomahawk wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 11:51 pm
vandal wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 11:07 pm
Tomahawk wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 10:28 pm
Spiny Norman wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 7:43 pm
Now it looks like Dominic Cummings is another who broke the government's lockdown guidelines, while having Covid-19 symptoms.

What'll he do after his inevitable resignation?
Perhaps the PM will use the same excuse in not acting that Nicola Sturgeon used when Scotland's CMO was caught out the first time and not sacked immediately.

All politicians and parties are bad but the SNP cohort at Westminster has taken sanctimony to a new level.
I believe Nicola Sturgeon was unaware that the CMO was guilty of having travelled over two weekends. When she (CMO) came clean, Nicola re-evaluated her position on the matter.

Same however cannot be said for Robert Jenrick, who visited his parents who lived rurally, despite writing in a newspaper column or suchlike that those living rurally should seek the help of neighbours.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... g-lockdown

The following is from an article in The Scotsman.

- It was reported that Mr Jenrick’s parents have been getting help with their groceries and medication from neighbours.

In an article two weeks ago, Mr Jenrick urged family members not to travel to visit elderly relatives and instead trust local communities to look after them. -

Whether he observed social distancing or not is irrelevant. He wrote in an article what I posted above, then he clearly ignored his own advice.
Nice attempted deflection, Sturgeon knew that guidelines had been broken and initially chose to keep the CMO in post rejecting the same type of calls for action from opposition parties that are now coming from her Westminster colleague, Blackford, who says that, based on this one known transgression, Cummings has to go.

Of course Cummings should go and Jenrick should have gone but that doesn't change the fact that the SNP, and their Westminster leader in particular, are a sanctimonious bunch.
Not an attempt at deflection. Scotland's CMO resigned the very day she spoke to SFM. I'm not trying to justify anything, I only want fair play - we should ALL be bound by the same rules. I wasn't privvy to the call so I don't know what was said, but Dr Calderwood resigned that day. What is shocking is that (if the reports are true), Dominic Cummings was Covid 19 positive when he travelled. He sat back and watched as Dr Calderwood and Prof Neil Ferguson resigned, knowing he'd done the same, if not worse.

I'm starting to think the Conservative Government are now becoming arrogant, thinking they can do just about anything without fear of any form of punishment.

Not too long ago, Minister for Mental Health Nadine Dorries shared a 'doctored' tweet about Keir Starmer. How she could find the time to do this during a Pandemic is anyone's guess, but there you go. Covid 19 has given us the second highest death rate on the planet, but it's more important that a doctored video of the leader of the opposition is aired by a Tory MP. The MP(s) that then shared the tweet were reprimanded, but at this time, is that enough? Labour expelled a town mayor for saying PMBJ deserved to catch Covid 19. Why just a reprimand for those Tories? How is Nadine's actions any different to that of the former Labour mayor?

Robert Jenrick & Dominic Cummings have already been discussed in this thread.

Isn't about time PMBJ was bringing his house in order? If anyone actually knows where he is.

I don't think the SNP hold the monopoly on sanctimony in Westminster.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Quite right, the Conservatives are arrogant and don't care for anyone except them selves, one thing for sure - they will not come out of this worse off.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

vandal wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 1:01 am

Not an attempt at deflection. Scotland's CMO resigned the very day she spoke to SFM. I'm not trying to justify anything, I only want fair play - we should ALL be bound by the same rules. I wasn't privvy to the call so I don't know what was said, but Dr Calderwood resigned that day. What is shocking is that (if the reports are true), Dominic Cummings was Covid 19 positive when he travelled. He sat back and watched as Dr Calderwood and Prof Neil Ferguson resigned, knowing he'd done the same, if not worse.

I'm starting to think the Conservative Government are now becoming arrogant, thinking they can do just about anything without fear of any form of punishment.

Not too long ago, Minister for Mental Health Nadine Dorries shared a 'doctored' tweet about Keir Starmer. How she could find the time to do this during a Pandemic is anyone's guess, but there you go. Covid 19 has given us the second highest death rate on the planet, but it's more important that a doctored video of the leader of the opposition is aired by a Tory MP. The MP(s) that then shared the tweet were reprimanded, but at this time, is that enough? Labour expelled a town mayor for saying PMBJ deserved to catch Covid 19. Why just a reprimand for those Tories? How is Nadine's actions any different to that of the former Labour mayor?

Robert Jenrick & Dominic Cummings have already been discussed in this thread.

Isn't about time PMBJ was bringing his house in order? If anyone actually knows where he is.

I don't think the SNP hold the monopoly on sanctimony in Westminster.
OK not an attempt at deflection, how about ignoring the key facts? Despite knowing that the guidelines had been broken the FM initially chose to keep the CMO in post. It was only after additional pressure that the resignation was forthcoming. She should have resigned or been sacked immediately and she was not.

Crap government and poor leadership are just as bad whether it is in London or Edinburgh.

More than happy to agree with most of what you say about the Conservatives but the point that I was making was that it is particularly galling to listen to Ian Blackford lecturing the PM on something he should do about a situation when his own leader back in Scotland, when faced with the same situation, chose not to do the right thing until forced.

Like you, I only want fair play.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 12:44 am
Tomahawk wrote:
Fri 22 May 2020, 11:59 pm

Some people Open their eyes and dont believe eveything they are told, some make up their own minds based on not just following the line like blind mice.

Conspiracy Theories (from what I have read) have lots of different theories - many far fetched Rubbish.

I do not follow or believe most of the rubbish pushed by some CT's, but I also know when our Gov is taking us for a ride and treating us all like fools.
Go on then tell us what the truth is about Event 201, or better still tell us what Bill Gates has done, and is planning, with regard to COVID-19.....

Because, when it comes to "making up their own minds" that is the one thing I have rarely seen you do on this topic.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Tomahawk wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 2:00 am

OK not an attempt at deflection, how about ignoring the key facts? Despite knowing that the guidelines had been broken the FM initially chose to keep the CMO in post. It was only after additional pressure that the resignation was forthcoming. She should have resigned or been sacked immediately and she was not.

It wasn't after additional pressure, it was when Dr Calderwood told the truth about there being two trips, something Nicola Sturgeon was unaware of.

Regardless, she was out of a job the day the story broke, so she did resign immediately, or within 24 hours of the story breaking. Nicola Sturgeon could have made all sorts of excuses & kept her on, maybe she was about to, but when the truth came out, she didn't & the result was that within a day of the revelations, Scotland needed a new CMO.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... d-52181221

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

vandal wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 7:01 am
Tomahawk wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 2:00 am

It wasn't after additional pressure, it was when Dr Calderwood told the truth about there being two trips, something Nicola Sturgeon was unaware of.

Regardless, she was out of a job the day the story broke, so she did resign immediately, or within 24 hours of the story breaking. Nicola Sturgeon could have made all sorts of excuses & kept her on, maybe she was about to, but when the truth came out, she didn't & the result was that within a day of the revelations, Scotland needed a new CMO.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc. ... d-52181221
The full facts of the story really do not matter to you do they?

The number of visits is immaterial. By the way did you access the link you so kindly added to your post? That is something that Nicola Sturgeon herself said at the time......

The truth had already come out, the guidelines had been broken and everyone knew it. Yet all that happened initially was that the CMO apologised and the FM "made all sorts of excuses & kept her on". That is precisely the point.

The FM, defying all calls from opposition parties and many others, showed poor leadership and clearly said to the Scottish people there are different standards. Under no stretch of the imagination was there an immediate resignation.

Clearly when you say want fair play that is a flexible concept for you when it comes to politicians of certain parties.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Number 10 are not making a statement.

Just say nothing and hope it goes away. Now that's leadership!

vandal

Post by vandal »

I'm not defending Nicola, or Ian Blackford.

I didn't agree that Nicola Sturgeon had initially agreed to keep Dr Calderwood on, I posted that at the time. If anything, SFM acted prematurely. She should have waited until she had the full story & then made an announcement.

I don't dispute your point(s). All I said was when the story initially broke, Nicola Sturgeon didn't have all the facts, she was unaware Dr Calderwood had made 2 trips, thinking only 1 had been made, (to check on the property) - doesn't make it any less serious though, which again, I posted about at the time but when she did, that very same day she was gone.

Dr Calderwood was found out on the Saturday night, by Sunday night she'd resigned. Robert Jenrick still holds his post.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

vandal wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 9:06 am
I'm not defending Nicola.....
yes you are, using a point that even the First Minister herself said at the time was immaterial.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 9:04 am
Number 10 are not making a statement.

Just say nothing and hope it goes away. Now that's leadership!
Statement has now been made, fight's on...

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/poli ... r-18300622

vandal

Post by vandal »

Tomahawk wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 9:51 am
vandal wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 9:06 am
I'm not defending Nicola.....
yes you are, using a point that even the First Minister herself said at the time was immaterial.
Going round in circles again.

I don't know how me saying that SFM was lied to, or wasn't aware of all the facts on Sunday afternoon is me defending her decision - it's not. I merely pointed out when the Sunday afternoon announcement was made, none of us were aware of the second trip. The minute we were, things changed.

I just pointed out when Nicola Sturgeon made her initial announcement, in that she wanted Dr Calderwood to stay as CMO, she didn't know the trip wasn't a one off.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I wonder if with the 14-day quarantine on arrival at UK airports, an arriving passenger can just drive to their parents? Or is it sister? Or just not bother.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 11:05 am
I wonder if with the 14-day quarantine on arrival at UK airports, an arriving passenger can just drive to their parents? Or is it sister? Or just not bother.
Only if they are Conservatives.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

vandal wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 10:49 am

I just pointed out when Nicola Sturgeon made her initial announcement, in that she wanted Dr Calderwood to stay as CMO, she didn't know the trip wasn't a one off.
I'd quite like a 'one-off' opportunity to go and visit my family back home in Scotland, do you think if I tell Police Scotland at the border that the First Minister is OK with that concept it will work or do you see a problem with that approach?

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

I have found it quite disappointing that Raab, Gove and Sunak (who until today I had respect for), are all backing Cummings, especially when no.10’s version of events is contradicting the Police’s.

How can they think driving 260miles and back when you have symptoms is acceptable. I imagine they would have had to stop for petrol or a loo break on the journey, increasing risk to others.

I am also very disappointed with the virtual invisibility of the PM. 55,000 extra deaths, a scandal in care homes, the biggest drop in output ever recorded, a looming employment crisis, in the last week, and he is just leaving communication to ministers.

Where is his leadership at a time of national crisis?

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

FGR2 wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 12:05 pm
I have found it quite disappointing that Raab, Gove and Sunak (who until today I had respect for), are all backing Cummings, especially when no.10’s version of events is contradicting the Police’s.

How can they think driving 260miles and back when you have symptoms is acceptable. I imagine they would have had to stop for petrol or a loo break on the journey, increasing risk to others.

I am also very disappointed with the virtual invisibility of the PM. 55,000 extra deaths, a scandal in care homes, the biggest drop in output ever recorded, a looming employment crisis, in the last week, and he is just leaving communication to ministers.

Do you mean you had respect for all three or just Mr Sunak? :slight_smile:

FB :face_with_monocle:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

vandal

Post by vandal »

Tomahawk wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 11:57 am
vandal wrote:

I'd quite like a 'one-off' opportunity to go and visit my family back home in Scotland, do you think if I tell Police Scotland at the border that the First Minister is OK with that concept it will work or do you see a problem with that approach?
Are you prepared to resign afterward?

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 12:10 pm
FGR2 wrote:

Just Sunak, Gove is a bit of a slimy character, Raab looks like he is continually scared.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Tomahawk, all joking aside -

My point always has been that regardless of what Nicola Sturgeon's intentions were Sunday afternoon, they had changed by Sunday night.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

vandal wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 12:18 pm
Tomahawk wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 11:57 am
vandal wrote:

Are you prepared to resign afterward?
Very good :grinning:

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

vandal wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 12:33 pm
Tomahawk, all joking aside -

My point always has been that regardless of what Nicola Sturgeon's intentions were Sunday afternoon, they had changed by Sunday night.
Not a point I can or would wish to disagree with at all.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

FGR2 wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 12:22 pm
Finningley Boy wrote:
Sat 23 May 2020, 12:10 pm
FGR2 wrote:

Just Sunak, Gove is a bit of a slimy character, Raab looks like he is continually scared.
Ok no real reasons for disliking the former two other than personalities, but what's so special about Sunak? Bear in mind the old saying, never judge a book by its cover, reading a few pages first is always advisable.

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!