COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
IATthenRIAT

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by IATthenRIAT »

ArabJazzie wrote:
Fri 16 Oct 2020, 10:45 pm
Ken Shabby wrote:
Fri 16 Oct 2020, 12:46 pm
And whilst we’re all blaming Johnson, Hancock et al (me included), let’s not forget that the one lockdown that should have happened didn’t - the banning of all travel out of China when this all kicked-off. Let’s hope that the next time any nation on Earth conjures up some disgusting virus, the rest of the world closes its borders to it, quickly. (I still remember back in March, when we were talking about a UK national lockdown, looking on Planefinder and seeing a flights coming into Heathrow from China. Madness.)
I have a serious dislike to this all being leveled at China. What if China were only ones brave enough to do something about this wee virus when doctors here may have been playing it down as per usual. Was it not during the Chinese New Year, you know when millions of Chinese around the world head back home to be with their families, that this virus took hold? With people in Europe identified as having died around Christmas time, where retained samples later tested positive for Covid-19, im sure the Chinese have a case to blame the rest of the world for what they enforced on their people.

You are right though in that we need to stop all travel until we can get this virus eradicated. Once achieved, then keep travel restrictions in place to build local economies, and build the national economy from there!
Stay Safe.

Trouble with that - look at how the Travel and Hospitality industry has aready been destroyed - an example BA first time in its history getting rid of so many planes and loosing so much staff.
I have called the crisis a Perfect Storm a few times as the biggest impact will be over the next Five - Ten years dont foreget we also have Brexit with the Clown saying it will no doubt be a No Deal, all we need now is power cuts and a power surge from the sun to knock out alot of the circuits we use daily.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Fri 16 Oct 2020, 10:55 pm
ArabJazzie wrote:
I have a serious dislike to this all being leveled at China. What if China were only ones brave enough to do something about this wee virus when doctors here may have been playing it down as per usual. Was it not during the Chinese New Year, you know when millions of Chinese around the world head back home to be with their families, that this virus took hold? With people in Europe identified as having died around Christmas time, where retained samples later tested positive for Covid-19, im sure the Chinese have a case to blame the rest of the world for what they enforced on their people.

You are right though in that we need to stop all travel until we can get this virus eradicated. Once achieved, then keep travel restrictions in place to build local economies, and build the national economy from there!
Stay Safe.
Trouble with that - look at how the Travel and Hospitality industry has aready been destroyed - an example BA first time in its history getting rid of so many planes and loosing so much staff.
I have called the crisis a Perfect Storm a few times as the biggest impact will be over the next Five - Ten years dont foreget we also have Brexit with the Clown saying it will no doubt be a No Deal, all we need now is power cuts and a power surge from the sun to knock out alot of the circuits we use daily.
Because of the clown as you put it, we are now looking at a second wave that we are still to see the potential of, but initial reading of infection figures says its gonna be one hell of a battle! Had infection rates been low enough, track and trace working as required and a slower walk out of lockdown, who knows where we would have been now!
Stay safe.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

ArabJazzie wrote:
Fri 16 Oct 2020, 11:13 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
ArabJazzie wrote:

Stay Safe.
Because of the clown as you put it, we are now looking at a second wave that we are still to see the potential of, but initial reading of infection figures says its gonna be one hell of a battle! Had infection rates been low enough, track and trace working as required and a slower walk out of lockdown, who knows where we would have been now!
Stay safe.
Just prey people dont get really sick with the Flu/Pneumonia aswel as the virus or we will Really be in the "smelly brown stuff".

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Fri 16 Oct 2020, 11:28 pm

Just prey people dont get really sick with the Flu/Pneumonia aswel as the virus or we will Really be in the "smelly brown stuff".
People forget this. Wonder how the combination affects young people?

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

An interesting question popped up by my neighbour yesterday - "Whats happened to all the fighting in the Middle East - they can't have just stopped cuz of the Flu (His Words)"

Nothing has been on the media about this like we was getting almost every night, as we know the virus mainly affects the elderely / I'll and those with respiratory conditions - so whats happened to all the fighting?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
an example BA first time in its history getting rid of so many planes and loosing so much staff.
BA have been looking for an excuse for years. Massive reductions in staff was coming long before COVID.

Also as for your neighbour, perhaps they need to look elsewhere other than the 9 o'clock news.

The MOD update weekly on their Middle Eastern actions, for example...

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Sat 17 Oct 2020, 12:09 am
An interesting question popped up by my neighbour yesterday - "Whats happened to all the fighting in the Middle East - they can't have just stopped cuz of the Flu (His Words)"

Nothing has been on the media about this like we was getting almost every night, as we know the virus mainly affects the elderely / I'll and those with respiratory conditions - so whats happened to all the fighting?
People killing each other in the Middle East is hardly news at the best of times. It’s been one of the constant backgrounds of my 59 years on this planet. Sadly, it’s a bit boring. I’m sure most news editors are glad not to have to bother about it. COVID has given the media a new focus, it’s the new Brexit (remember that?). A man cut off another man’s head on a street in Paris last night if anyone’s interested.
Ken

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

Who would have thought that showing a picture of The Prophet to a class of schoolchildren, after advising the Muslim students that you are about to do it and to leave the room if they thought it would offend them, would be more dangerous than visiting a pub that doesn’t serve food.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

ericbee123 wrote:
Sat 17 Oct 2020, 10:04 am
Who would have thought that showing a picture of The Prophet to a class of schoolchildren, after advising the Muslim students that you are about to do it and to leave the room if they thought it would offend them, would be more dangerous than visiting a pub that doesn’t serve food.
I guess no-one has ever been murdered in or around a pub before.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

ericbee123 wrote:
Sat 17 Oct 2020, 10:04 am
Holding up a cartoon of The Prophet is an extremely dangerous thing to do. The teacher thought he was still living in a free and tolerant society. He was wrong.
Ken

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Ken

CJS

Post by CJS »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Sun 18 Oct 2020, 7:11 am
Here we go ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54586897
Here we go what? This isn't data from the app - that remains anonymous - this is data about people who are legally obliged to self isolate being given to the police so they can police the law.

If they don't want to abide by the law of the land, they can take the consequences.

(And yes, I know there are those who don't, so I don't need a reply of Dominic Cummings blah blah blah...)

One might not like the law around self isolating, but frankly it's not up to us to like laws is it?

If this news means the police actually start taking action against those who are ignoring their legal obligation then it's a :up: from me.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

CJS wrote:
Sun 18 Oct 2020, 11:10 am
Ken Shabby wrote:
Here we go ...

Here we go what? This isn't data from the app - that remains anonymous - this is data about people who are legally obliged to self isolate being given to the police so they can police the law.

If they don't want to abide by the law of the land, they can take the consequences.

(And yes, I know there are those who don't, so I don't need a reply of Dominic Cummings blah blah blah...)

One might not like the law around self isolating, but frankly it's not up to us to like laws is it?

If this news means the police actually start taking action against those who are ignoring their legal obligation then it's a :up: from me.
We are still free to dislike laws if we wish, for the time-being anyway. And don’t worry, I won’t give you a Dominic Cummings blah blah blah reply. The politicians are getting desperate, though, aren’t they? How do you try to defeat the undefeatable.

I’m in Tier 2. An old lady just up the road’s grand-daughter has just arrived to see her. Shall I rat on them? Please let me know. Presumably it’s a Police matter?
Ken

roger

Post by roger »

In Tier 2, if the old lady lives on her own and she and her grand-daughter are in a support bubble, they can meet indoors, or if they are not in a support bubble, they can meet outdoors.

If the old lady was mugged, would you rat on the mugger? Or knocked down by a drunk driver, would you rat on the driver? Morally as well as legally, aren't all three equally offensive, given that the outcome for the old lady could well be the same in each case.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Sun 18 Oct 2020, 1:09 pm
CJS wrote:
Sun 18 Oct 2020, 11:10 am
Ken Shabby wrote:
Here we go ...

We are still free to dislike laws if we wish, for the time-being anyway. And don’t worry, I won’t give you a Dominic Cummings blah blah blah reply. The politicians are getting desperate, though, aren’t they? How do you try to defeat the undefeatable.

I’m in Tier 2. An old lady just up the road’s grand-daughter has just arrived to see her. Shall I rat on them? Please let me know. Presumably it’s a Police matter?
I never said you couldn't like the law, there are plenty I don't like very much. My point is it's irrelevant whether you like them or not.

I agree that they're desperate though, take some comfort in the fact that their handling of the pandemic may help to be their downfall one day :up:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Back into lockdown for Wales.

One wonders if this will put further pressure (in addition to Sage, independent scientists, the opposition, and overwhelming public support) on Westminster to do the same.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Labour MP Yasmin Qureshi admitted to hospital - tested positive for Covid 19 but has Pneumonia.

This same MP has been campaigning against Tier 3 restrictions in the Manchester area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-54598378

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

vandal wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020, 11:37 am
Labour MP Yasmin Qureshi admitted to hospital - tested positive for Covid 19 but has Pneumonia.

This same MP has been campaigning against Tier 3 restrictions in the Manchester area.

Pneumonia seems to pop up a lot when covid is mentioned.

CJS

Post by CJS »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020, 2:09 pm
vandal wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020, 11:37 am

Pneumonia seems to pop up a lot when covid is mentioned.
It's a common complication isn't it? Much like the 'flu can leave you susceptible to pneumonia if you get it badly or are somehow weakened for other reasons. Your body is fighting off one thing that leaves it open to attacks from other nasty stuff.

Disclaimer - I am not a doctor :lol:

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Just watching the news about the "Firebreak" for the virus in Wales on the news, they speak about a Lock Down all over Wales - yet primary schools can remain open how are they going to get round not coming into contact out doors for adults - what about the parents taking the kids to school - what about the teachers, can't tell me parents will social distance when they take kids to school.
All sounds like rubbish to me.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Although I have been critical of the government, I think their current approach of local lockdowns (however flawed) is more sensible than a blanket lockdown.

Shutting down low risk areas seems to only have the effect of killing off local businesses.

I cannot see what good a two week Lockdown will do, as you cannot sort out mass testing/hospital capacity in this time. The virus will just come roaring back in two weeks time.

I do feel that Labour is putting too much emphasis on Sage’s medical advice, and ignoring the economic argument.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

If you look at the data from the initial lockdown, it took a good 6 weeks before number of infections started to fall. What is a 2 week lockdown going to do. If I lived in western Wales where the virus is not massively prominent, I would be rather cheesed off!

vandal

Post by vandal »

CJS wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020, 3:18 pm

It's a common complication isn't it? Much like the 'flu can leave you susceptible to pneumonia if you get it badly or are somehow weakened for other reasons. Your body is fighting off one thing that leaves it open to attacks from other nasty stuff.

Former Queen frontman Freddie Mercury - although HIV positive, it was a form of pneumonia that took him.

Covid 19 is known to cause breathing difficulties though - if it spreads to the lungs - potential for pneumonia. Not good.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

FGR2 wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020, 6:14 pm
Although I have been critical of the government, I think their current approach of local lockdowns (however flawed) is more sensible than a blanket lockdown.
I would agree with you if the local lockdowns did indeed mean lockdown. But people in high risk areas are still travelling across county and country borders, hence Wales making the decision to go full lockdown.
ted633 wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020, 6:37 pm
If you look at the data from the initial lockdown, it took a good 6 weeks before number of infections started to fall. What is a 2 week lockdown going to do. If I lived in western Wales where the virus is not massively prominent, I would be rather cheesed off!
It may be 2 weeks for now, but should there be no significant change, then it will be extended for as long as is required. Whatever happens, just now i can only see the Welsh being the ones on the Christmas list this year!
Stay Safe.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

vandal wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020, 6:46 pm
CJS wrote:
Mon 19 Oct 2020, 3:18 pm

Former Queen frontman Freddie Mercury - although HIV positive, it was a form of pneumonia that took him.

Covid 19 is known to cause breathing difficulties though - if it spreads to the lungs - potential for pneumonia. Not good.
Same thing Flu can do with complications turning into pneumonia (hence why it is (still) taken seriously)