Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Is anybody happy with the Brexit white paper?

Post by Tommy »

Very good and prescient points on both sides. 👍🏻

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

mad_djg - in 183 pages that's the most sensible set of points made. Where were you 5 years ago!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

mad_djg wrote:
Tue 26 Jan 2021, 10:50 pm
Whether we voted to remain or leave is now irrelevant - we have left - we have to raise our sights, we have to get over the obsession with Europe that has frankly damaged our society over the past few years. We also have to lose the appalling, thuggish nationalism we've seen over the last few years - let's be clear the xenophobic actions of some of society should never be equated with patriotism. We aspire to be a global player we have to act like one.
a lot of excellent points on here, the point about nationalism is the biggest one for me.
for the most part these days i consider myself european, mainly because the xenophobic and nationalistic "patriotism" makes me ashamed to be british. weeding that out will help fix the void and bring the staunch remainers back into support of the future as a whole. the problem is under this government it will continue because that's how the keep power.

i'd also like to see a plan. we have for 5 years been told all these amazing things we can have with brexit, we've been sold many things but we have never been sold a vision of britain in 5, 10, 15 years time. do we want to be like singapore, or do we want to set the standard that every one else will follow. one hand says one thing, the other hand shows you something different. give everyone a clear vision of what you want, stop pandering to one side of the debate (as you say we are all leavers now) and give us something to unite over.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

I can afford to buy Sea Bass in Sainsburys (imported from Turkey!) but not UK sourced Sea Bass from a fishmongers.
Just to go off at a tangent. There are reasons for this.

All Sea Bass are not created equal.

The ones in supermarkets, like the salmon, are from farms. They are bred, held captive and caught by dipping a net in the water and scooping them up when they reach table size.

The ones in fishmongers from the U.K. are usually wild fish , they have spawned somewhere, lived somewhere, eaten wild food, lived energetic lives and like wild salmon , each tastes different depending on its individual life. They also have to conform to a much bigger size limit than farmed Bass. The ones you see in supermarkets would be illegal and undersized for U.K. fishermen to retain and sell and commercial fishermen would have to return all Bass to the sea ( dead or alive ) in February and March.

For avoidance of doubt , for the difference in price, sustainability and quality - then we should be buying cheap farmed sea bass - as it’s better for everyone ( including the wild sea bass ) - it’s just that the fish farms in the Mediterranean ( Turkey ) are the best option. There is only one U.K. sea bass farm ( in Wales ).

I won’t eat Sea Bass though unless I’ve caught it myself and it’s legal size in the U.K.

The U.K. legal limit for recreational fishermen is 42cm (16.5 inches - much bigger than the farmed bass you see in supermarkets). We are not allowed to keep any bass we catch in December, January or February and are only allowed to keep 2 fish over 42cm on any one day ( from March to November )

I’ve never caught a bass over 42cm in my life - BTW and only seen a very small amount caught by recreational anglers - and I’m Treasurer of a fishing club in Blackpool.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

I see the blustering buffoon is visiting us in Scotland today. According to the weasel Gove, it's his right as prime minister to visit all parts of the UK. We all know this is to do with the referendum on Independence, but being given a cover story as covid related.

I just wonder, when will the buffoon be visiting N.Ireland and explaining to the folks there how they are still part of the union, and the benefits of the brexit deal they are now experiencing. Come to think of it, has the leader of the conservative and "unionist" party visited N.Ireland recently?
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

toom317 wrote:
Thu 28 Jan 2021, 11:09 am
I see the blustering buffoon is visiting us in Scotland today. According to the weasel Gove, it's his right as prime minister to visit all parts of the UK. We all know this is to do with the referendum on Independence, but being given a cover story as covid related.

I just wonder, when will the buffoon be visiting N.Ireland and explaining to the folks there how they are still part of the union, and the benefits of the brexit deal they are now experiencing. Come to think of it, has the leader of the conservative and "unionist" party visited N.Ireland recently?
I wonder if he'll visit Peterhead? Loch Fyne?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

More government/brexiteer cock ups.

Shell Fish.

Under EU regs we could ship live shell fish anywhere in the EU to be purified for eating at their destination.

From 1st January as no longer under EU regs, all shipping of unpurified live shell fish banned from non-EU nations unless from Class A waters.

The government tells the industry that this would all change in April so no need to invest in purification systems.etc.

EU confirm that there was never any intention to change this rule, that it's permanent and that the government were told that in January.

Result - yet another industry screwed by Brexit.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Grim reading:

No sane or rational peacetime government would ever have done this to itself.

And we’ve got absolutely nothing to show for it, either.

Edit - it’s worth saying that Brexit didn’t need to be this way. It was possible to have left the EU and avoid this sort of thing.

Jimbo27

Post by Jimbo27 »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021, 9:54 am
Grim reading:

Edit - it’s worth saying that Brexit didn’t need to be this way. It was possible to have left the EU and avoid this sort of thing.
Yeah, but, to be fair, and saying this as someone who thinks Brexit is a really silly idea, this has to affected by the Pandemic, it can't be the true state of affairs...

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Jimbo27 wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021, 9:20 pm
Tommy wrote:
Grim reading:

Yeah, but, to be fair, and saying this as someone who thinks Brexit is a really silly idea, this has to affected by the Pandemic, it can't be the true state of affairs...
I think you're right: but the trouble is the effect of the pandemic is to obscure the true scale of the problem, which will turn out to be even bigger than suggested.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Tommy wrote:
that's just not true. we have blue passports, sovereignty and lots of lovely red tape

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

rockfordstone wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021, 12:21 pm
Tommy wrote:
that's just not true. we have blue passports, sovereignty and lots of lovely red tape
I still have a red passport,valid until 2028.the colour of the cover doesnt bother me. :smile:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021, 12:47 pm
rockfordstone wrote:
Mon 08 Feb 2021, 12:21 pm
Tommy wrote:
I still have a red passport,valid until 2028.the colour of the cover doesnt bother me. :smile:
i got mine in january last year and it was red so i have that for 10 years (not with EU on it mind)
i honestly couldn't care what colour it is, i'm more annoyed by the fact that it currently carries less benefit than it used to.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021, 9:35 pm
Jimbo27 wrote:
Sun 07 Feb 2021, 9:20 pm
Tommy wrote:
Grim reading:

I think you're right: but the trouble is the effect of the pandemic is to obscure the true scale of the problem, which will turn out to be even bigger than suggested.
No surprise about the exports, Been drafted in to help with customs imports into Ireland. 43hrs OT in the past week, the Govt will be delighted as they will take much of it the rest the Model shops!

The amount of docs form the UK shippers that does not even come close to any of the UK export guidelines. Has to be said the Importers here are stunned too , simple things like a wooden plant holder go for inspection with the Dept of Agriculture, They may now Phyto sanitary cert, CHED Certs I could go on. Food Needs 24 hrs advance notice before arrival in to EU. Some of the red tape put together by both sides is beyond belief.

It would have been easier in 1960 to Export stuff across Europe than with all the poxy computer based reporting nonsense. So much for the Micro computer making things easier...
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Just got a letter from my bank [NatWest],due to Brexit have to close my UK Current Account.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Yup I have a Dutch friend who, after spending a few summers working at a hotel, was planning to move to Scotland so had set up a UK bank account.

That’s now been closed. They aren’t impressed and now hope Scotland gains independence so that they can follow their dreams.

But ya know, at least people can pleasure themselves over thoughts of blue passports so everything will be ok....

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

As said before, the Conservatives were supposedly the party of business, but have taken the country out of a neighbouring trading zone. It's beyond belief really that such a thing has happened.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu 08 Apr 2021, 9:17 am
As said before, the Conservatives were supposedly the party of business, but have taken the country out of a neighbouring trading zone. It's beyond belief really that such a thing has happened.
I know, representative democracy in action, what a bummer....

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Tomahawk wrote:
Thu 08 Apr 2021, 9:28 am
Spiny Norman wrote:
Representative democracy corrupted and manipulated by lies and dishonesty. As a nation we ought to hang our heads in shame.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Tomahawk wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
Yes. I remember the bus saying "We will leave the Single Market and bring in more red tape"...

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu 08 Apr 2021, 9:47 am
Tomahawk wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
Yes. I remember the bus saying "We will leave the Single Market and bring in more red tape"...
And yet despite all that which was freely debated over the next three years and most people understood when Boris went to the country in Dec '19 and just said 'Get Brexit Done', representative democracy delivered a resounding 'yes please...'

Don't get me wrong, I voted to remain and the our current PM is the best advert for Scottish Independence that the SNP has to offer but equally you are going over ground that is well trodden.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
Representative democracy corrupted and manipulated by lies and dishonesty. As a nation we ought to hang our heads in shame.
Agreed

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Tomahawk wrote:
Thu 08 Apr 2021, 10:02 am
Spiny Norman wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:
And yet despite all that which was freely debated over the next three years and most people understood when Boris went to the country in Dec '19 and just said 'Get Brexit Done', representative democracy delivered a resounding 'yes please...'

Don't get me wrong, I voted to remain and the our current PM is the best advert for Scottish Independence that the SNP has to offer but equally you are going over ground that is well trodden.
The disastrous effect of Brexit on businesses is not well-trodden I'd suggest, with figures now backing up what was forecast - by some - beforehand.