The Euro 2020 (in 2021) Thread

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Reds Rolling

The Euro 2020 (in 2021) Thread

Post by Reds Rolling »

Nearly time for the soccerball contest to kick-off, and who will topple last years winner Covid-19 to take the crown of European champions?

Can England lift their first major trophy since 1966?

Probably not! :rofl:

Spiny Norman

Re: The Euro 2020 (in 2021) Thread

Post by Spiny Norman »

France for me.

England have got a chance (home advantage reminiscent of that tournament success back in ye olden days).

If Scotland can get out of the group they'll be very pleased with that.

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

I can't see England getting anywhere - I thought we looked very average in the warm up friendlies.
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021, 11:29 am
France for me.

England have got a chance (home advantage reminiscent of that tournament success back in ye olden days).

If Scotland can get out of the group they'll be very pleased with that.
France clearly have the best squad... if their big players all turn up then it's hard to look past them.

I'm quietly confident Scotland can get out the group (famous last words...) - with the way the tournament is set-up, even one win puts you in a very good position and to face the Czechs at Hampden in our opener is a great opportunity.

Of course, Scotland being Scotland, we'll still find some bizarre way to mess it all up.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

purple_95

Post by purple_95 »

psquiddy wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021, 12:31 pm
I can't see England getting anywhere - I thought we looked very average in the warm up friendlies.
So did I, I know it was only a couple of pre tournament friendlies but nothing in either performance to get very optimistic about.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Skyflash wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021, 4:16 pm

Of course, Scotland being Scotland, we'll still find some bizarre way to mess it all up.
Scotland to beat England, lose other 2 games and go out on goal difference?

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021, 5:25 pm
Skyflash wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021, 4:16 pm

Scotland to beat England, lose other 2 games and go out on goal difference?
:grin:

Aye, that would be just about right.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

CJS

Post by CJS »

Italy for me. I've always rated Francesco Totti and I think Buffon is a great keeper. Maldini and Cannavaro at the back too - can't see them losing it really...

France, in all likelihood. Although, there are some pretty big egos in there: if they turn up and leave their teamwork behind, they could struggle (but shouldn't, really).

Would you ever bet against the always annoyingly well prepared Germans either?

Outside bets - England (yes, they were a bit crap in the friendlies, but on paper could be really exciting to watch) and Denmark.

Mainly though, it'll just be cool to be able to watch it on normal telly.
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

psquiddy

Post by psquiddy »

CJS wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021, 9:29 pm

Outside bets - England (yes, they were a bit crap in the friendlies, but on paper could be really exciting to watch)
Not often I would describe watching England as "exciting" - I would usually use the phrases "dull", "painful" or "watching paint dry"
Over 300 free things to do in London
http://www.toplondondaysout.co.uk

CJS

Post by CJS »

psquiddy wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021, 9:38 pm
CJS wrote:

Outside bets - England (yes, they were a bit crap in the friendlies, but on paper could be really exciting to watch)
Not often I would describe watching England as "exciting" - I would usually use the phrases "dull", "painful" or "watching paint dry"
🤣 Well ok, maybe a particularly jaunty paint? 🙈

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

CJS wrote:
Fri 11 Jun 2021, 5:52 am
psquiddy wrote:
Thu 10 Jun 2021, 9:38 pm
CJS wrote:

🤣 Well ok, maybe a particularly jaunty paint? 🙈
Battleship Grey? :smiling_imp:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

(But also agree with previous posters - France, probs)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Me too!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Yup... :sob:

Great first game - Italy look good and probably more in control than the current 2-0 suggests.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

CJS wrote:
Fri 11 Jun 2021, 8:34 pm
Yup... :sob:

Great first game - Italy look good and probably more in control than the current 2-0 suggests.
Yes, they did look good.

Quote of the tournament so far from Rio Ferdinand; "That result will make people sit and stand up". :rofl:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Simple 3-0 in the end. TBH, Turkey didn't really turn up and Italy stayed in 3rd gear at the most.

Good start to the tournament!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Turkey were very poor. Did the Italian keeper touch the ball?

Wales won't fancy Italy if they play like that but Turkey look goners already.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Bit of thread drift but BBC1 were re-showing the documentary that Alan Shearer did 4 years ago going back over the Euro 96 tournament and speaking with players, pundits commentators etc.

Now I know that I am going to sound like my Dad here but if England were to do really well in this tournament do you really think there will be enough characters worth talking to in 20 years to make an entertaining documentary? Or from the semi final team of a couple of years ago?

This isn't a dig at the players themselves, 20-30 year old men are the same from whichever generation and I'm sure that there are characters in the dressing room it's just that everything is so sterile to me in football these days.

And I'm not advocating dentists chairs, sexism or racism that were all in evidence in those 'good old days' I just don't have the same level of affinity that I did (or more importantly that my Dad did) 20 years ago.

The microscopic lens with which these young men live their lives under is so much more than it was and their detachment from the fans is so much wider as a consequence.

I can admire the skill levels which have definitely gone up but as an all round entertainment offering football now leaves me rather hollow. Which makes me quite sad.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

starbuck wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021, 11:16 am
Bit of thread drift but BBC1 were re-showing the documentary that Alan Shearer did 4 years ago going back over the Euro 96 tournament and speaking with players, pundits commentators etc.

Now I know that I am going to sound like my Dad here but if England were to do really well in this tournament do you really think there will be enough characters worth talking to in 20 years to make an entertaining documentary? Or from the semi final team of a couple of years ago?

This isn't a dig at the players themselves, 20-30 year old men are the same from whichever generation and I'm sure that there are characters in the dressing room it's just that everything is so sterile to me in football these days.

And I'm not advocating dentists chairs, sexism or racism that were all in evidence in those 'good old days' I just don't have the same level of affinity that I did (or more importantly that my Dad did) 20 years ago.

The microscopic lens with which these young men live their lives under is so much more than it was and their detachment from the fans is so much wider as a consequence.

I can admire the skill levels which have definitely gone up but as an all round entertainment offering football now leaves me rather hollow. Which makes me quite sad.
I suspect football now loses out to the alternatives, of which there are so many more both active (encompassing everything from outdoor hobbies like aviation and birding through participatory team sport to home video gaming and the BBQ) and passive (all the cultural stuff from a multiplicity of themed and general TV channels to theatre and the music world) as opposed to looking forward to the town's Saturday game as the highlight of the week and Match of the Day on one of only three TV channels.

I honestly don't believe Fifties footballers would have been anything like as effective pundits as the current bunch (though I do wonder about the future!) but I agree with you that skill levels are through the roof compared even to the Seventies when I was forced to watch let alone before that.

Yet the circus still attracts billions of pounds worldwide..... its very odd.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021, 11:36 am

I honestly don't believe Fifties footballers would have been anything like as effective pundits as the current bunch (though I do wonder about the future!) but I agree with you that skill levels are through the roof compared even to the Seventies when I was forced to watch let alone before that.

You could turn that around and ask how many of today's footballers would last 5 minutes on the pitch before running home to mummy. They get tackled nowadays and you would think they had been shot by a sniper from 3 miles away.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Mooshie1956 wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021, 11:46 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Sat 12 Jun 2021, 11:36 am

You could turn that around and ask how many of today's footballers would last 5 minutes on the pitch before running home to mummy. They get tackled nowadays and you would think they had been shot by a sniper from 3 miles away.
I'm not sure that's turning it round, unless you're confusing football and cage fighting.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Watching Wales v Switzerland in 4K through iPlayer.

Looks nice, but not what I'd call stunning and I'd happily watch in regular HD at my viewing distance. Certainly not as much of an improvement that going from SD to HD had on modern flat screen TV's imo.

Also dislike these stadiums that are also athletic parks. Crowds seem so far away and atmosphere seems flat, especially given that they are playing in Baku of all places.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Denmark v Finland.

Now there's a proper football stadium. Looks pretty packed too and a decent atmosphere.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Wow things look really bad for Eriksson! :astonished:

Just collapsed on the pitch and they were giving him heart massage!

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Can only think back to watching Fabrice Muamba and have some hope. :/