COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
ZRX61

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

Post by ZRX61 »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Fri 17 Sep 2021, 12:05 pm
As I said, good try.
I await your posting of a credible source showing Trump telling people to buy fish tank cleaner at the pet store... Apparently you have verifiable proof he said this?
I'd rather have an airplane guy work on my keyboard than have a keyboard guy work on my airplane...

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Gt5500 wrote:
Wed 15 Sep 2021, 11:51 pm
ZRX61 wrote:
Wed 15 Sep 2021, 10:47 pm

Some kind of anti-viral vaccine of sorts.. which oddly enough is exactly what we ended up with.
Huh?
"An anti-viral vaccine".. that (more or less) acts on the virus in the human body "like the way bleach does on surfaces etc". Like I said, Trump wasn't the best at explaining things, but it doesn't take a genius to work out what he was trying to say... unless you make (albeit minimal) effort to dismiss everything as "he sounds like an idiot", because quite frankly, most of the time he did. Maybe he still does, I haven't heard him talk for months. Apparently he did an interview on Gutfield* last week.. who I normally DO listen to a bit, but not in this case.

*If you're unaware of Gutfield, he's the bloke who just knocked Fallon, Kimmel & Colbert off the top spot for late night shows. & is a Libertarian.
I'd rather have an airplane guy work on my keyboard than have a keyboard guy work on my airplane...

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

Is the Vaccine Anti-Viral? My understanding is limited but I thought the vaccine was an inactive variant of the virus which triggers an immune response thereby meaning you have anti-bodies when the real virus shows up......

In order for what trump said to make any sense in your version then bleach would have to work by way of introducing dirt to a surface which thereby causes the surface to clean itself or become immune to getting dirty in the future.....
Last edited by Teaboy on Fri 17 Sep 2021, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me"

Nothing to do with a preventative vaccine, this is straight up inject someone with disinfectant or something similar in order to kill the virus in the body. That is not how vaccines work.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Pretty much, but the end result is the same. I got the quad flu vax yesterday that is also inactive.
That's a big ask hoping for Trump to make sense.The key word in what Trump said was *like*.
Trump said he wanted something that acts like the way bleach does (defeats a virus). The vaccine helps defeat the virus. It really is that simple. I'm not willing to waste time trying to misunderstand what he meant. The media was, & still is willing.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Teaboy wrote:
Fri 17 Sep 2021, 5:33 pm
"And then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that, by injection inside or almost a cleaning, because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that, so that you’re going to have to use medical doctors with, but it sounds interesting to me"

Nothing to do with a preventative vaccine, this is straight up inject someone with disinfectant or something similar in order to kill the virus in the body. That is not how vaccines work.
Apparently you missed three words.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

/edited/ This level of nonsense is beneath me, ashamed I even wrote a reply to it.

"Trump said he wanted something that acts like the way bleach does (defeats a virus). The vaccine helps defeat the virus."

I can't. Just can't.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

In other news:
The two largest of the local hospitals decided they were going to make all the staff get the vaccine. Nurses etc immediately filed a class action suit & the hospitals changed their minds.
Might have also had something to do with the current nurse shortage which is seeing temps being paid $5k/week.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Far from staking any claims to know much about the (apparently inferior) American health system, I’d wager that any nurses refusing to get a vaccine for their own safety is quite a useful metric/litmus test to filter out people who are grossly unsuited to a job that requires empathy, compassion, understanding and trusting medical science, and public health protection.

But that’s just me.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 18 Sep 2021, 11:11 am
Far from staking any claims to know much about the (apparently inferior) American health system, I’d wager that any nurses refusing to get a vaccine for their own safety is quite a useful metric/litmus test to filter out people who are grossly unsuited to a job that requires empathy, compassion, understanding and trusting medical science, and public health protection.

But that’s just me.
The issue isn't the vaccine, it's the mandate. The US Govt has a fairly dubious record on this subject, Tuskeegee with cockpox & all sorts of mental health *treatments* etc. & lets not forget that the UK published data months ago showing that health care workers who caught covid & recovered had 6x the immune response of those who have been vaccinated... so why would they still be required to get the vaccine?
On the upside, the only person in a friends dept at a local hospital who caught covid is French. Worked on the Covid ward for 3 months at another facility, then sent back to her regular job without once being tested or getting sick & then she fell ill with it a month later. :)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

ZRX61 wrote:
Sat 18 Sep 2021, 5:43 pm

The issue isn't the vaccine, it's the mandate. The US Govt has a fairly dubious record on this subject, Tuskeegee with cockpox & all sorts of mental health *treatments* etc.
Well for one thing, you’ve sort of defeated your own point there. If the vaccine isn’t the issue, then scare stories like cockpox or other “dubious” disease response policies of the US Government surely aren’t a problem in this particular circumstance.

For another thing, for all the scare stories that Facebook tools dig up, they also eradicated polio and smallpox in America.

I don’t support vaccine passports in the U.K. because I respect people’s right not to get the vaccine.

But insofar as making it mandatory for hospital workers who deal with COVID patients on a daily basis, or indeed just in the environment where concentrations of COVID are high, to have a vaccine that protects them, it makes perfect sense for that to be a job requirement to me.

And as I say, for those who don’t want to take the vaccine, that’s a very useful litmus test for someone being completely unsuitable for the job of trusting and understanding medical science, empathy for others, and the implementation public health policy.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

One can't reason with moronicness!
Why try?

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 19 Sep 2021, 8:03 am
ZRX61 wrote:
Sat 18 Sep 2021, 5:43 pm

The issue isn't the vaccine, it's the mandate. The US Govt has a fairly dubious record on this subject, Tuskeegee with cockpox & all sorts of mental health *treatments* etc.
Well for one thing, you’ve sort of defeated your own point there. If the vaccine isn’t the issue, then scare stories like cockpox or other “dubious” disease response policies of the US Government surely aren’t a problem in this particular circumstance.

For another thing, for all the scare stories that Facebook tools dig up, they also eradicated polio and smallpox in America.

I don’t support vaccine passports in the U.K. because I respect people’s right not to get the vaccine.

But insofar as making it mandatory for hospital workers who deal with COVID patients on a daily basis, or indeed just in the environment where concentrations of COVID are high, to have a vaccine that protects them, it makes perfect sense for that to be a job requirement to me.

And as I say, for those who don’t want to take the vaccine, that’s a very useful litmus test for someone being completely unsuitable for the job of trusting and understanding medical science, empathy for others, and the implementation public health policy.
Kinda reminds me of the endless (US) tv commercials for people "who have been exposed to Round Up & now have cancer/dreaded lurgy". They did a study among farmers who use it far more often & in greater amounts than Joe Blow expecting them to have horrendously high instances of cancer etc to support their case against Monsanto or who ever makes it. Turned out they don't.

As for me: Was at the Dr's on Friday, meant to ask about the 3rd booster shot as *they* think I'm in the high risk category. Totally forgot to mention it.. This is why I have a list of things to discuss with my Dr so I don't forget. Bit bloody pointless when I forget to take the list with me...
Biden was (is?) telling everyone to get the 3rd shot. *Science* turned around & said "no, don't do that, not necessary" (unless high risk or over 65). Waiting to see what he has to say about "following the science" this week.
In related news, people are trying to work out what Kamala was talking about last week when she said "By vaccinating the unvaccinated, increasing our testing and masking, and protecting the vaccinated, we can end this pandemic. That’s exactly what we are committed to doing."
I thought the vaccine was supposed to protect us?

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

ZRX61 wrote:
Mon 20 Sep 2021, 3:01 am

In related news, people are trying to work out what Kamala was talking about last week when she said "By vaccinating the unvaccinated, increasing our testing and masking, and protecting the vaccinated, we can end this pandemic. That’s exactly what we are committed to doing."
I thought the vaccine was supposed to protect us?
[/quote]

In the UK we have very high levels of vaccination and yet people are still contracting COVID. The principal benefit of the vaccine seems to be to protect against hospitalisation and death as well as having some benefit in preventing transmission. Based on the experience of some of my colleagues I would suggest that contracting COVID whilst vaccinated is not a trivial matter. It is still a very unpleasant experience in some cases, and the implications of long COVID are not properly understood either.Hence the need to protect the vaccinated by attempting to achieve greater uptake of the vaccine within the population.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

On the US side there is a long standing scepticism of anything that comes from any Federal law, they have a massive mistrust for the government. Probably magnified in Trump supporting places now?
Meanwhile at home I am intrigued that cases are going down again. There does not seem to have been a spike associated with the return to school, and many people being back in the office? Could the decent weather be a factor as its no problem with opening a window at the moment? Will be interesting to see what happens when we get a wet, cold week?

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Paulish wrote:
Mon 20 Sep 2021, 8:01 am
In the UK we have very high levels of vaccination and yet people are still contracting COVID. The principal benefit of the vaccine seems to be to protect against hospitalisation and death as well as having some benefit in preventing transmission. Based on the experience of some of my colleagues I would suggest that contracting COVID whilst vaccinated is not a trivial matter. It is still a very unpleasant experience in some cases, and the implications of long COVID are not properly understood either.Hence the need to protect the vaccinated by attempting to achieve greater uptake of the vaccine within the population.
If 100% of the people were vaccinated, everyone who caught Covid would be a "break-through" case. We're still having 50% of the people who test positive showing absolutely no symptoms at all. LA Mayor Garcetti decided that was all the info he needed to declare that half the people in the County were positive & the other half would catch it for an infection rate of 100%. That didn't happen & he hasn't mentioned it again.
farnboroughrob wrote:
Mon 20 Sep 2021, 10:48 am
On the US side there is a long standing scepticism of anything that comes from any Federal law, they have a massive mistrust for the government. Probably magnified in Trump supporting places now?
Meanwhile at home I am intrigued that cases are going down again. There does not seem to have been a spike associated with the return to school, and many people being back in the office? Could the decent weather be a factor as its no problem with opening a window at the moment? Will be interesting to see what happens when we get a wet, cold week?
It kinda flipped. When Trump was running the show it was the left who weren't trusting "the Trump vaccine" owing to VP Absent Harris & the like talking through their exhaust. Now it's the right who are having issues because Biden is telling them to get it.. but now we're dealing with mixed messages from the current regime who are telling us to follow the science & ignore the science. However, ya have to remember that while Trump pushed to find a vaccine & put in 300Million orders etc, the first mention of having found one wasn't made until the Monday(?) after he lost the election.

LA County came up with some blindingly stupid suggestions. Last year that said that any health care worker who was exposed to someone who tested positive would have to go home on full pay for two weeks... along with everyone else in their dept.... Then it was pointed out they would be out of staff within days as the turn over just at the testing stations from workers who found their first positive case & would have to go home for two weeks was unsustainable... So they changed that to workers who were exposed to someone who tested positive.. but who wasn't working at the test sites, & just that person, not their entire dept.. They weren't testing the people sent home for two weeks, just telling them to *isolate*.
Then they threw out all those suggestions after a sudden (albeit brief) outbreak of common sense. Then there was talk of workers falsely claiming they had been exposed so they could go on paid vacation for two weeks. They looked into that & discovered it was predominantly among a certain ethnicity, at which point they decided to ignore it in case they were accused of being racist.

Pfizer cleared their vaccine for under 5's today. Smaller dose, I think they said 10mg, but I've not once heard them state how much an adult gets.
Edit: LA media got it wrong, apparently it's 5-12yo's
Last edited by ZRX61 on Tue 21 Sep 2021, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

ZRX61 wrote:
Mon 20 Sep 2021, 6:01 pm

It kinda flipped. When Trump was running the show it was the left who weren't trusting "the Trump vaccine" owing to VP Absent Harris & the like talking through their exhaust..
It’s already been proven to you, comprehensively, that this is a lie.

That you continue to peddle it despite extremely persuasive evidence that you ought not to, calls into question everything else you say.

Teaboy

Post by Teaboy »

ZRX61 wrote:

It kinda flipped. When Trump was running the show it was the left who weren't trusting "the Trump vaccine" owing to VP Absent Harris & the like talking through their exhaust.
No, no-one said "we aren't having the vaccine because it's the Trump Vaccine". They said "it isn't the Trump Vaccine, Trump had Sweet FA to do with it.

That is not the same thing, not even close. But good job adding "Absent" to VP Harris, you really are a brown nose for the orange.
Tommy wrote:
Mon 20 Sep 2021, 6:09 pm
That you continue to peddle it despite extremely persuasive evidence that you ought not to, calls into question everything else you say.
Everything he says calls into question everything he says.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Tommy wrote:
ZRX61 wrote:

It kinda flipped. When Trump was running the show it was the left who weren't trusting "the Trump vaccine" owing to VP Absent Harris & the like talking through their exhaust..
It’s already been proven to you, comprehensively, that this is a lie.

I think ya may have misunderstood the post. The US has countless people who don't trust "The Trump Vaccine" & we also have another group who don't trust "The Biden Vaccine". I personally know people in both groups. Not sure how you're able to claim that people I personally know are lying about why they aren't vaccinated?.. or were you defending Absent Harris?

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Teaboy wrote:
Mon 20 Sep 2021, 6:30 pm

No, no-one said "we aren't having the vaccine because it's the Trump Vaccine". They said "it isn't the Trump Vaccine, Trump had Sweet FA to do with it.

That is not the same thing, not even close. But good job adding "Absent" to VP Harris, you really are a brown nose for the orange.
Tommy wrote:
Everything he says calls into question everything he says.
Yes they have, read the previous post ferchrisakes.

Not sure how many times I have to point out I think Trump is a blithering idiot, but if it helps you sleep at night thinking I like the bloke then by all means be my guest.

As for Harris, she's been absent for months. She's a complete stoner (she admits this) who jailed a bunch of people for being stoners. I think she needs to lay off the weed for a while to get her mind straight. & stop frigging giggling like an idiot at EVERY question. She comes across like a 13yo schoolgirl.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I should point out there are other groups who don't want the vaccine. We have the:
Anti Trump
Anti Biden
Anti Vaccine in general (all of the vaccines, usually rather sickly looking people who appear to be 20-30 years older than they actually are)
Pro Constitution
Anti Mandate.

There may be others, but these are the five groups I'm aware of & represent the majority of the minority.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

ZRX61 wrote:
Mon 20 Sep 2021, 9:41 pm
I should point out there are other groups who don't want the vaccine. We have the:
Anti Trump
Anti Biden
Anti Vaccine in general (all of the vaccines, usually rather sickly looking people who appear to be 20-30 years older than they actually are)
Pro Constitution
Anti Mandate.

There may be others, but these are the five groups I'm aware of & represent the majority of the minority.
And these are the reasons why you'll have to be stupid to go to America when the borders open up again to UK people.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

rdchawk wrote:
Tue 21 Sep 2021, 2:29 pm
And these are the reasons why you'll have to be stupid to go to America when the borders open up again to UK people.

well, some of them.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

My employer (an American company) has decided that vaccines will mandatory for all US employees by the end of the year. It doesn't apply to the UK subsidiary at the moment.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

One of the issues of foreign travel in covid times is if you get it abroad, you have to stay there, at your own expense. Heard several accounts of people isolating and it sounds like a form of imprisonment. But at least they had a couple of weeks in the sun beforehand.