Trust / distrust in the media

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Ken Shabby

Re: Trust / distrust in the media

Post by Ken Shabby »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 05 Mar 2021, 12:15 pm
24hr rolling news is pretty cancerous. It’s the equivalent of tabloid newspapers.

Focusing on gossip, over-hyped fears, completely irrelevant nonsense, and cats that look like Hitler. The desperation to fill and sustain an entire 24 hours makes that sort of guff necessary.
The cats that look like Hitler is serious stuff. Not enough of that on the BBC in my view. In truth, I’d prefer coverage of them rather than the Harry and Meghan v The Royal Family guff we’ve been subject to in recent months and no doubt will continue to be so for ever and a day.

If ever there was a case for one single, final episode of the Jeremy Kyle show, they are it.
Ken

Afghanistan - so what was the point of all that then?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Sat 06 Mar 2021, 11:29 am
If ever there was a case for one single, final episode of the Jeremy Kyle show, they are it.
The obligatory paternity test might have an interesting outcome!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

D’you know, I’m reminded of John Oliver’s excellent piece from a few years ago on the matter.

Obviously an American slant, but a similar thing is happening to our local newspapers. Every been online for one of your local news papers? It’s gross. Ads, auto play videos, a zillion spam “PEOPLE OVER 70 *LOVE* THIS PENAION HACK!” type things. It’s such an unpleasant experience.

IMO, it’s well worth a watch.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Combining both themes discussed here:

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

That tempts me to become a YouTuber follower!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It’s simultaneously quite funny and also very concerning.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 05 Mar 2021, 9:44 am
It seems to me that the BBC unnecessarily hamstrings itself with a relentless attitude of “unbiasedness” and “balance” that it accidentally ends up being mildly biased.

The job of news reporting and media of this nature is to ascertain the truth, not to provide balance.

To exaggerate to make the point - if all top scientists declare that the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west, it is not the BBC’s job to find a crackpot absolutely and irreparably convinced, with zero scientific experience, qualification, know-how or credentials and zero evidence to back up her claim that the sun, indeed, rises in the west.

If the Labour Party say a stupid thing (which they do, often), it is not the job of the BBC to say “everyone agrees that this is stupid... anyway, here’s someone from Labour to argue that it isn’t”

To anyone from Labour, the BBC would then be biased for calling out a stupid thing, because they’re party-tribal, but it still is a stupid dumb thing, and it’s not the BBC’s fault. Perhaps if that Labour voter turned their attention to ensuring that more quality politicians were in their party, rather than the people calling out the idiocy, then they’d have a stronger party in the future.

So no, the Beeb isn’t biased beyond reliability. It might swing left or right a little on the pendulum, but it’s not biased.

But their relentless quest for “balance” is one of those things that sounds lovely on paper, but actually never works in practice.
Very well explained, I pretty much agree with it all.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Anyone who thinks CNN are a trustworthy and unbiased news outlet might want to watch these videos which prove otherwise!
At least with FOX News everyone knows their agenda, but CNN, well quite shocking really how low they will go.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Project Veritas is an American far-right activist group founded by James O'Keefe in 2010. The group produces deceptively edited videos of its undercover operations, which use secret recordings to allege misconduct and corruption in mainstream media organizations and progressive groups.
Tells you everything you need to know about those videos.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

cg_341 wrote:
Thu 15 Apr 2021, 10:36 am
Project Veritas is an American far-right activist group founded by James O'Keefe in 2010. The group produces deceptively edited videos of its undercover operations, which use secret recordings to allege misconduct and corruption in mainstream media organizations and progressive groups.
Tells you everything you need to know about those videos.
I'm not here to defend any right wing or left wing outlet, but if you watch the videos it appears that CNN are NOT the trustworthy source that many think they are.

It's amazing how many people will just bury their heads in the sand, and ignore any kind of evidence without watching due to their own prejudices.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Reds Rolling wrote:
Thu 15 Apr 2021, 10:31 am
At least with FOX News everyone knows their agenda
I’m not going to pass a view on CNN at the moment because I don’t know enough about it, but this comment struck me as a bit odd.

Just because everyone “knows Fox’s agenda” doesn’t make it ok by any means. They still hold themselves out as a public information broadcaster, make out as though they’re reporting truth and fact and ask for audience trustworthiness. And they are demonstrably not any of what they pretend to be.

Indeed, on one argument, it’s probably actually worse that “everyone knows their agenda” because then there’s not really an excuse for not doing something about it. Either with tighter regulations, or on an individual basis, not giving them a hits/viewer figures by consuming their stuff.

I daresay CNN has its own demons, too. And they should absolutely be looked at, but let’s not let Fox off the hook just because “at least everyone knows it”.

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Hi Tommy.

My comment about FOX isn't to say it's ok, but rather that everyone knows what they are going to get as it's pretty obvious which side of the political spectrum they sit.

CNN on the other hand is supposed to be a respectable, mainly unbiased news outlet which people deem as fair and trustworthy. It seems they are not and are rather underhand in the way they go about deciding what news to push and which side of the political spectrum they sit.

People have already criticised GB News which is yet to broadcast in the UK because they have openly said they are not going to be 'woke' and are right leaning. In my opinion I would rather know that in advance; at least then you can view their stories with that in mind and seek alternative viewpoints from other outlets.

Personally I don't trust any one MSM news outlet to be unbiased, especially commercial ones, and I don't think they should try to pretend they are.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I'd rather have an airplane guy work on my keyboard than have a keyboard guy work on my airplane...

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Are you a climate change denier, too? Gosh. Full house.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Tommy wrote:
Sat 09 Oct 2021, 9:07 pm
No, I just don't blindly accept every claim... especially as a Nobel prize has just been awarded for making a guess about it.

& here's a perfect example:
Our beloved State Governor, Benito Newsolini blames EVERYTHING on climate change. Right now he's claiming the reservoirs are empty because of it. The water "evaporated". The media repeat everything this assclown states as gospel & questions nothing.
Reality:
2 years ago they reservoirs held enough water to get through five years with no additional rainfall.
Most of it was drained into the ocean for what they claim are environmental issues (saving the already extinct Delta Smelt fish etc).
All the natural lakes are full, no evaporation there for some reason, it only effects lakes with dams & the reservoirs.
The farmers in the central valley paid for 100% of their annual water allocation, they got between 0 & 5%. There are no refunds for the water they paid for but was sent to the ocean instead.
The power companies operate hydroelectric dams, a few months ago they opened one of the dams for several days for one of those "environmental issues"

https://i.ibb.co/FKwXGQ8/Ca-Water-June.jpg
I'd rather have an airplane guy work on my keyboard than have a keyboard guy work on my airplane...

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I don’t get how you can call providing white water boating opportunities an environmental issue. Also apparent mismanagement of water resources, which you allude to, doesn’t negate the very obvious evidence that we are in a period of climate related events more extreme than previously recorded.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

iainpeden wrote:
Sun 10 Oct 2021, 6:46 pm
I don’t get how you can call providing white water boating opportunities an environmental issue. Also apparent mismanagement of water resources, which you allude to, doesn’t negate the very obvious evidence that we are in a period of climate related events more extreme than previously recorded.
Was that a generic *you* or me personally? Because I can't figure out how buggering about in boats is an environmental issue either. Water use is divided into three categories (by the State):
Domestic use: 10% (this includes industrial use)
Agriculture: 40%
Environmental issues: 50%

Media doesn't report much on environmental issues because that involves pissing the water into the ocean & makes Democrats & environmentalists look a bunch of blithering idiots at best & criminally incompetent/insane at worst. This leads to false claims (in the media & by environmentalists) that agriculture uses 80% of the water (40% of the 50% not pissed into the ocean), There are State & Federal pumps in the Delta that are designed to capture water & pump it into reservoirs & Ag irrigation canals etc. These pumps are usually throttled back to 5-15% capacity so 85-95% of the water goes straight to the ocean.
This year the farmers got 0-5% of their allocation (& paid for 100% of it).. That's actually 0 to 5% of the 40%, the rest was allowed to go to the ocean... which means this year environmental issues accounted for around 85% of the water in some places & 90% in others.

The current "climate related events" have been going on it California since records began & there is evidence that they happened going back several hundred more years. Some of those past events make the current issues pale into insignificance. The current (man made) drought has NOTHING to do with climate change/warming/cooling.

There's a reservoir in Yosemite (Hetch Hetchy) that only feeds SF area. It's not attached to other water sources, or feed water to other areas & none of it is used for Ag. The water there is purely for the Bay Area. That one hasn't been drained into the ocean for some reason... & neither has the water evaporated owing to climate change. I wonder how the climate knew not to boil that one dry?
It's also one of the dams that environmentalists want to remove...Countless others already are being removed, which I'm sure will do wonders for water storage in a State where the system was designed to store water for half the population we have now...
If you want to see how insane these environmentalists are, just Google Sites Reservoir & that entire fiasco.

But hey, at least the power company decided to cater to white water rafters...

Getting back to the dishonest media :
In California, the "Water Year" runs from October 1st to Sept 30th. The media & everyone else knows this. On Friday, the local Fresno paper was reporting that "Despite rainfall, Fresno still below yearly average".. This was EIGHT DAYS into the (water) year, so yeah, it's WAY below the yearly average because there's still another THREE HUNDRED & FIFTY SEVEN days to go.. This is akin to the BBC declaring the Summer a disaster on January 8th.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

In the context of the clip, generic.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

ZRX61 wrote:
Sun 10 Oct 2021, 4:29 pm
Tommy wrote:
Sat 09 Oct 2021, 9:07 pm
No, I just don't blindly accept every claim...
No, you just blindy follow 'facts' that come form unreliable sources instead...
Just like every other conspiracy nut you feel you have discovered the real truth and that somehow makes you superior, you crack on, no one cares.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Gt5500 wrote:
Mon 11 Oct 2021, 9:14 am
No, you just blindy follow 'facts' that come form unreliable sources instead...
Just like every other conspiracy nut you feel you have discovered the real truth and that somehow makes you superior, you crack on, no one cares.
So just to clarify: we have a thread about BS in the media, I post examples of BS in the media & you actually believe the BS are facts? Please, enlighten us all by pointing out the BS on my previous post. Yanno, given your obvious expertise on California water issues... Are you claiming that pissing 50% of the fresh water straight into the ocean & draining a further35-45% from the reservoirs doesn't create water shortages? Perhaps climate change causes the draining of the reservoirs & throttling back the Delta pumps to 5-15% capacity?
Cognitive dissonance much?

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

There is lots of comedy in Stupidty.

I think what we are seeing is classic Dunning-Kruger.

It does have a beauty I think - Hope it continues :)

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Andyph wrote:
Mon 11 Oct 2021, 8:04 pm
There is lots of comedy in Stupidty.

I think what we are seeing is classic Dunning-Kruger.

It does have a beauty I think - Hope it continues :)
I'm finding it hilarious. "The media only reports BS when it doesn't agree with my narrow point of view" seems to be the British SOP. Just because climate change causes A thru D, doesn't automatically mean it also causes E thru Z. In California it's even blamed for racism (I kid you not).
If you want REAL stupidity try this:
Yesterday Benito Newsolini signed legislation outlawing all small engines below 25hp used for yard work etc & everyone goes to battery powered to power mowers & chainsaws etc... AND generators... So now we'll need to invent an battery powered generator that plugs into itself & charges itself AND powers you home. Brilliant! oh wait...Guess we'll just buy bigger diesel powered gennies... those ought to be much better for the environment.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Good Luck with Getting Batteries. Replacement Kia one it gonna take about 3 months.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

This would appear to be fairly honest reporting by the media... LOL!!

https://climatechangedispatch.com/furio ... r-roadway/

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

NBC just fact checked a report by Fauci that was aired on MSNBC & busted themselves... altho tbf, they could have used the clip from any network.
It was regarding Fauci being political about his covid warnings depending on the likely political aspect of various events.
Sturgis bike rally: bad
College football: crickets...
Nascar: Bad

(not sure if this should be in the covid thread, the Biden thread or this thread)