Nalbandian....

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
boff180
UKAR Staff

Nalbandian....

Post by boff180 »

So, what should his punishment be?

For those that didn't see it, in the final at Queens today; Nalbandian got annoyed after missing a shot and kicked the advertising hoarding surrounding a linesmans seat...the hoarding (and Nalbandians foot) proceeded to hit the linesman and cut his leg open.

Nalbandian was disqualified (which annoyed the crowd) as it breaches court rules to injure someone. When asked live on TV to apologise, he showed very little remorse and tried to blame the ATP for him hitting the linesman and being disqualified!

So what should it be?

Personally, I think this should be extremely harsh... a fine and a ban lasting a number of tournaments... including Wimbledon. I also wouldn't be surprised if the linesman sues.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ2ssjDKWvk[/youtube]

Andy

RoverDriver

Re: Nalbandian....

Post by RoverDriver »

Last edited by RoverDriver on Wed 11 Jul 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

I happened to turn the programme on just as he kicked the board,so I watched it to conclusion...he lost his cool and kicked a board,little did he know the consequences of that second or two!
Obviously he didnt intend to injure anyone so he shouldnt be treated as a feral street thug...a reasonable fine would be plenty,but I fear the worst for him because of what he apparantly said in his interview with Sue Barker....
didnt understand a word of it myself,but by all accounts he besmirched the rulebook :shock:

Mr Flibble
UKAR Staff

Post by Mr Flibble »

I can relate to Nalbandian's frustration at losing his serve and feeling angry but there's no excuse for what he did.
The punishment was absolutely correct.

Craig
UKAR Staff

Post by Craig »

Mr Flibble wrote:I can relate to Nalbandian's frustration at losing his serve and feeling angry but there's no excuse for what he did.
The punishment was absolutely correct.

Agreed, but I also feel sufficient. I don't really know what those baying for his blood really want. He's forfeitted the tournament during the final, surely that's greater punnishmnet than a fine or a ban from the next one?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Interesting that so many of the crowd were booing the orginisers for ending the match. They clearly dont know the rules of tennis. In my experience, Queens club, a little like Wimbledon, is more to do with Champagne and Strawberries rather than genuine and educated tennis fans. As soon as you saw the line judge in pain and injured, the game was over.
Such a shame. "Bandy" (as his fans call him) is one of the most gifted players on the tour and has never reached his true potential. His aftermatch interview with Sue Barker did him few favours.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Mr Flibble
UKAR Staff

Post by Mr Flibble »

I reckon there should be a fine really.

Tournaments fine players for smashing rackets don't they? - I see this as an order of magnitude worse than that.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Was just getting into the game when he took his frustration out on the fixtures. The outburst from the injured party was superb and i would not have been too disappointed if the official cracked Nalbandian one on the chin!!!

There was a bit of an apology but that was then forgotten when he launched into his blast against the ATP. I expected that loosing the final due to the hissy fit, followed by a sincere apology would have been punishment enough, but he had to keep on going!!! Fine him, then a ban for a short period.
Arabest,
Geoff
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

pbeardmore wrote:Interesting that so many of the crowd were booing the orginisers for ending the match. They clearly dont know the rules of tennis. In my experience, Queens club, a little like Wimbledon, is more to do with Champagne and Strawberries rather than genuine and educated tennis fans. As soon as you saw the line judge in pain and injured, the game was over.
Such a shame. "Bandy" (as his fans call him) is one of the most gifted players on the tour and has never reached his true potential. His aftermatch interview with Sue Barker did him few favours.

Yes, the crowds reaction was not exactly the best, the poor old official that tried to talk gave up, everytime he opened his mouth he was drowned out by boos! Full credit to Sue Barker, the cowd tried todo the same to her and she told them to shut up :clap:

I think the punishment has to be harsh or we risk Tennis becoming full of pre-madonnas, it needs nipping in the bud.

Andy

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

If he had kept his trap shut, other than to offer a generous apology, things could well have been different. He did neither himself nor the game any favours and deserves all he gets.
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Sport is now full of them,,, Prima Donnas! Stop paying them lots of cash,just pay them a said amount per game,get them enough to make an average living off of their sport and that may bring them down to earth.
Card carrying aviation addict!

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

stratocaster wrote:Sport is now full of them,,, Prima Donnas! Stop paying them lots of cash,just pay them a said amount per game,get them enough to make an average living off of their sport and that may bring them down to earth.

Aaahhh...IF ONLY!!!!! :wall:

Dragon Rapide

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

The answers simple,they should provide a kicking board either end especially for hissy fits :wink:

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Since the 80s when serious money came into the game and the ATP tour went global (together with TV rights and big sponsors) , pro tennis players are treated like royalty and spoilt wrotten. To be honest, its pretty amazing how well behaved most of the players are and we see very few tantrums. But within Bandys aftermatch interview, you could tell that he did not care at all about the fans and just wanted to moan that he had to play earlier on the week on slippery courts.
Having said that, and to add some balance, on Wed I think at Queens, Tsonga slipped on the wet grass and damaged a finger which has put a question mark over his Wimbledon effort this year so perhaps he had a point?
Update: looks like the linejudge has filed an assualt charge with the Met Police, completely OTT and a waste of police time, looking for a payoff.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... ian-queens.
I wonder which lawyers he called:
http://www.first4lawyers.com/welcome-fr ... ew-castle/
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Russ

Post by Russ »

If it was Footballer, he'd have been lynched.

A heavy fine and a suspension (maybe ban him from Wimbledon) would make sense to me.

f4phixeruk

Post by f4phixeruk »

pbeardmore wrote:Since the 80s when serious money came into the game and the ATP tour went global (together with TV rights and big sponsors) , pro tennis players are treated like royalty and spoilt wrotten. To be honest, its pretty amazing how well behaved most of the players are and we see very few tantrums. But within Bandys aftermatch interview, you could tell that he did not care at all about the fans and just wanted to moan that he had to play earlier on the week on slippery courts.
Having said that, and to add some balance, on Wed I think at Queens, Tsonga slipped on the wet grass and damaged a finger which has put a question mark over his Wimbledon effort this year so perhaps he had a point?
Update: looks like the linejudge has filed an assualt charge with the Met Police, completely OTT and a waste of police time, looking for a payoff.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... ian-queens.
I wonder which lawyers he called:
http://www.first4lawyers.com/welcome-fr ... ew-castle/

Got to agree with the official. You dont got to work expecting to be assaulted by someone. If it had been a chav in the street kicking someone and drawing blood, we would all be baying for him to be hung drawn and quartered.
If you eat high calorie foods with a Diet Coke, the drink cancels the calories out!

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Not sure if there are any legal experts here but I think that the CPS would have to prove that, as Bandy approached the line judge, he had intent to assualt him. I think this will be hard and cant see the police spending too much time on it as its pretty clear that his intent was to "attack" the base board and had not anticipated that it would then, as a consequence, cause injury to the line judge.
The fact that the formal complaint to the police has already been leaked to the media shows that spin is well and truely present.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I'm no legal expert by any means but i'm a law student (thus none of the stuff below is correct :wink: )?

Just of the top of my head...

Assault actually legally has nothing to do with what has happened here. Assault is causing someone to fear immediate harm, like holding a knife to someone's throat and saying 'I'm gonna cut you up real good'; It's commonly confused with battery which probably is the case seeing as the linejudge DID encounter actual harm.

The actual definition is something like the direct and intentional application of force upon another without consent

battery has two definitions, one in criminal law, and one in tort law. Criminal law is punishable in the way of fines, community service etc, the penalty in tort law is usually damages aka compensation. Most cases of a battery are done through the tort law route, with the criminal law route being reserved to really serious harm etc.

The intent idea behind the tort law form of battery could probably be established through the idea of general intent whereby Nalbandian needs to have been reasonably certain that his act would cause contact.

In criminal law the intent is satisfied is the defendants act was simply unlawful, so criminal damage might suffice for this.

Also the argument of offensive conduct might be used, there was a case where a man whipped a horse, which bolted, throwing the jockey off and causing him injury, which was cause for an action, which succeeded.

The idea of damages is to revert you to back to where you were before the incident took place, so realistically he wouldn't get much as it didn't seem that much of a cut to me (certainly negating the criminal prosecution of a battery), perhaps the loss of wages for taking time off work or something.

If you ask me it's not worth the cost of going to court/ hiring the lawyer.

Plus I also think the fact that Nalbandian will be forever remembered as "the guy who lost his chance at the title because he got stroppy" and the actual loss of the title is punishment enough. Just ignore the babies like this and let them get on with blaming everyone else whilst the rest of us watch some decent sport being played in the other courts.

RoverDriver

Post by RoverDriver »

Last edited by RoverDriver on Wed 11 Jul 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Well I dont think Bandy deserves a criminal record for this,
there is a range of options between "laughing it off" and making a formal complaint to the Met and then leaking it to the media. Bandy could make a donation to the linesmans favourite charity and they could shake hands like gentleman.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Unfortunately we live in a litigious society where we are almost encouraged to sue. In answer to the earlier question had the incident occurred say 20 years ago I have little doubt that the player would have been severely reprimanded and fined and obliged to apologise to the official. The official would have accepted the apology with good grace and that would have been an end to it.

Dragon Rapide

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Thats a very good point. During the 80s when McEnroe called an umpire "the pits of the World" for all of number 1 court to hear, the umpire did not pick his phone up and get straight on to "Lawyers 4 you" for a no win no fee claim for verbal assault or harrasment and then leak details of the claim to the press.

There seems to be a common thread running through the "off topic" discussions concerning how society has generally gone down hill and that somehow people were more civilised in the way they carried themselves and took more responsibilty for their own well being rather than to blame other third parties.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

I think that it has much to do with the gradual erosion of the individual's sense of responsibility for his actions. I cannot pin down any specific time when suddenly it all changed but, without wishing to make a political point, there has been a definite move towards the perception that the state will supply us with our needs and solve all our ills ( of any sort ) over the last 10/15 years.

Dragon Rapide

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

Dragon Rapide said:
I think that it has much to do with the gradual erosion of the individual's sense of responsibility for his actions.

Good point - but I wonder how much of it is actually down to the modern health and safety culture and mindset whereby there's a prevailing attitude that people cannot be trusted to accept the consequence of their actions and have to be protected from themselves...

When I was a nipper (an awful long time ago now), if you got caught out doing something you shouldn't (such as bunking round locomotive sheds or scrumping or letting off fireworks), retribution was usually swift and frequently took the form of a clip round the ear... It was fair game, though - part of the risk you took...

Today, everyone seems intent on eliminating risk altogether - but you can't... And, accepting that, the next step nowadays seems to be blame someone else and make them pay... It does my head in, it really does...

As for the tennis player, I think he should be suspended for a month or two... That might get the message across that his behaviour was unacceptable.

Then again, of course, one is inclined to wonder if a risk assessment was carried out...with regard to putting officials in close proximity to advertising boards... After all, the official might well have fallen over it either going to or leaving his seat...

:wall: :dunno: :wall: :dunno: :wall:
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Much as I dislike the H&S culture, it is in fact misunderstood and has become a victim of the original intention. Because H&S encourages safe practice that fact encouraged individuals to seek compensation through litigation and that had the effect of encouraging the legal profession to find more work for themselves by advertising no win no fee schemes and other similarly enticing methods of seeking payouts for clients and profits for them.

So you are right we have come a long way from tripping up on a loose paving stone and cursing our lack of care to suing the council for compensation for our accident. All very dispiriting.... :sad: :sad:

Dragon Rapide