Armaggeddon in the Midlands!

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Craig
UKAR Staff

Armaggeddon in the Midlands!

Post by Craig »

Was anyone else struck by that storm today? Absolutely incredible! Sounded like someone dragging tables around upstairs at work but then realised it was thunder. Quadrouple barrel flashes of forked lightning, and literally rumbles of thunder every 2 to 3 seconds. Within 30 minutes the power was out, the sky almost black and the car park was a lake. One member of staff was up to her knees in water reaching her car. Never seen anything even remotely like it!

Father Ted

Re: Armaggeddon in the Midlands!

Post by Father Ted »

Incredible wasn't it?

Bow waves and blackness at midday......
Boiling hot and bone dry at 18:00.

Crazy weather!

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles »

We got stuck right in the middle of it. We were driving from north Wales and onto the M6 for Lancaster when the heavens opened up. I quickly let the car coast to about 20mph as with everybody else the wipers on full and still had a hard time seeing out the windshield. There must have been at least an inch of water on te road. Scary but fun times.

RoverDriver

Post by RoverDriver »

Last edited by RoverDriver on Wed 11 Jul 2012, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

My neighbours house was hit by lightning - apparently the chimney exploded and there are bits of it all over the road. Every electrical item in their house has been bricked. Whats worrying is its a semi so mine will most likely be the same. The problem now is i'm stuck out here (Kandahar) for the next ten weeks before I can get home and do anything about it....

PD31

Post by PD31 »

Two of my work colleagues were affected in Leicester,,,both by hailstones. One smashed greenhouse and one smashed car windscreen.
Cheers

Dave

someguy1

Post by someguy1 »

Radar on intensity of the rain and lightning strikes

Over 111,000 lightning strikes recorded with a peak of around 1,000 in 5 minutes