Uni Stories...

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
PeterR

Uni Stories...

Post by PeterR »

I am (and probably a few other forums members) starting university next week, and just thought it's be interesting to see what if any other members had some "interesting" stories from university/freshers week etc.

So post away! :biggrin:

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Re: Uni Stories...

Post by Ben H »

I'm back for the start of my second year tomorrow. Living in halls last year was huge, huge fun; there were 24 of us in our flat! Nothing massively outrageous (to tell here... :wave: ) but a particular favorite was...

Setting up as many speakers as we could get our hands on to point out of windows, turning my room into a studio with a couple of mics and about fifteen of us 'broadcasting' a radio show to the centre of campus on open days. Heckling gingers, instructing large groups of (surprisingly compliant!) people to dance along to various novelty tunes, 'Kraftwerk Hour', an alternative commentary to the one the tour guides were giving, a text-in request service...to a hugely irritating flatmate's phone. All incredibly hilarious at the time!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Rule number one is never pass out from drink infront of your mates.

Best one at Cov was duct taping a very drunk mate to the exposed piping on the ceiling of the corridor...

Lectures can be quite fun too, a couple of first year assignments we had on one course... A) experience natural selection by hitting our head on the head board of a bed whilst shagging.... And b) kill a grey squirrel.

Second year field work was fun too, the week ran to a regimented procedure lol... 0730 stagger down for fry up, 0845, off out on site work all day usually involving mud. 1800 have grub and be given an essay title to write that night. 2100 hand in essay to lecturers at pub. 2100 till 2330 drink as much as possible. 2330 till 0400 light fire on beach and play pitch black rugby/frissby on the beach whilst drinking lots of vodka. 0430, sleep. Repeat everyday for a week, some of the most fun I ever had that week.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

The best thing about uni is that you could just do anything and nobody really cared!

Aside from two drunken incidents, one when my mate fell down the middle of a spiral staircase on the way out of a club and the other when my mate fell straight on to his face and cut his lip open, I've only got good stories from uni.

This is the likes of gaining a McDonalds table and chairs in our living room, seeing Trevor Sinclair at Meadowhall, my mate 'borrowing' a Sea Cadets boat and sailing down a canal in Lincoln, another mate 'borrowing' the local Holiday Inn's luggage trolley, making our own Fulham shirts on the day they got to the Europa League final, setting up a university baseball team and losing every single game, swapping the contents of our housemates rooms around, endless games of Soccer Saturday drinking... :snack:

swingy

Post by swingy »

Too many and some that for legal reasons can’t be mentioned. Try making home brew forgetting it is there and then having to explain why the cellar of the residence has just exploded. Dead fish pinned inside the radiator grills of mate’s rooms is not a nice thing to do. Washing up liquid in the cistern is amusing. Numerous uses for cling film, fire hoses etc. Dammed a stream one night after many beers and could not figure out the next day why certain areas were flooded. Oh happy days.
Last edited by swingy on Tue 18 Sep 2012, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I'm just about to go back to DMU for my third and final freshers.

Cling film on the toilet bowl after a night out (and then listening to the outrage in the morning :grin: ), putting those Areal Liquitabs outside a flatmates door. Spending an hour in A&E and then carrying on the night out, the list carries on (the rest I can't really mention).

Safe to say you'll have the time of your life mate, don't skimp on anything, and don't pass up any opportunity, don't prejudge anyone and most importantly, enjoy yourself!!

Where are you going?

Monty

Post by Monty »

I too am heading off to uni next week (well Saturday), off to Newcastle so should be a very enjoyable freshers!
Canon EOS 50D
Canon 18-55mm IS
Canon 70-300mm IS USM F-4.0/5.6

1094 (Ely) Sqn ATC

Mictheslik

Post by Mictheslik »

I'm already having fun....was in the guild yesterday and saw a table of 15 people all looking rather sheepish and not talking. I love Fresher watching! :yahoo:

Not looking forward to the Welcome Ball at the weekend though (3PM to c.8AM shift)

.mic
Mictheslik Aviation Photography

Remember when we went to Payerne on that Wednesday?

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

I'm off to Coventry to study Aviation Management, should be good! :yahoo:

CH2

Post by CH2 »

circa 19XX; field trip to Shap.

In the hotel at 2am beers started to become available, in retrospect this was a clue to the whole issue as the bar had closed 2 hours prior and the nearest pub or off licence was some considerable distance away.

Next day after returning from an outing (these were the days you would go into the lakes and by constantly buzzed by the RAF) I was told that the place had been visited by Carlisle CID! 5 members of the Rugby A squad (never played for the A Squad, total tossers, had an inflated view on their ability and were always self administrating carrots where the sun didn't shine) and a sundry element had been questioned. The bar had been raided dry the night prior. They soon became known as the SHAP 6.
Cheers,

Chris

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Peter,

Be sure to go to the Rugby club "night" soon after freshers, when I was there the Uni team were called the Jaguars....

The night ends with a pair of strippers.... the money taken on the door is their payment, the more money taken the more hardcore the lesbian scene at the end....

Andy

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Declaring Home Rule on a roundabout in the middle of the A5 in Milton Keynes - and the police just driving by and laughing. Or a group of us scaring a whole campus into life early one fine Sunday morning with the co-ordinated playing at full blast of the alarm clocks from Dark Side of the Moon. Speakers had been set up to play out of the open windows and we managed to get the room curtains closed before anybody realised who it was.

Late 1970s I'm afraid. But beer was 30p a pint in the bar.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Jimbib

Post by Jimbib »

You will catch a strain of freshers flu. Also, you will ruin one, or probably more alcoholic beverages for yourself. Personally, I can't even stand a sniff of JD anymore without getting queasy, after a rather pickled end of year show halfway through the degree.
Sony A65 | Tokina 11-16mm F2.8 | Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 | Minolta 70-210mm F4 | Tamron 300mm F2.8 | Mk.1 Eyeball

Stuka

Post by Stuka »

2 Kg of coffee in the cold water tank in the attic..c1984.. :ninja: