What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby Elliott Marsh on Tue 08 Nov 2016, 12:50 pm

Planet Earth II is just amazing, isn't it? The cinematography is genuinely awe-inspiring, and the delivery of each animal's section is beautifully edited and narrated. The running battle between the baby iguanas and dozens (hundreds?) of snakes was perhaps the dramatic highpoint, but there was a lot of emotional heft to some of the other segments. The penguins had to be the stars, making off on their deadly quest for food while their partners look after the young on the island, with predators lurking all the while. "All the feels", as the young ones say.
Elliott Marsh

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 29 Nov 2016, 4:01 pm

Most of the way through series 6 of 'GofT' -- Yet more characters getting killed off in gratuitous but occasionally amusing ways , as usual. The big reveal ? We find out Hodor's real name & why he's called Hodor ( oh , and how & why the 'white walkers' came about ) plus as everyone probably knows by now , one person who was dead isn't .....there's also one person who was thought to be dead but also isn't ( again , not unexpected )
It's a pity that the two best & most amusing characters Tyrion & Ramsey ( a good Welsh villain :biggrin: ) don't get more air-time.

Also most of the way through series 3 of 'Black Sails' -- A change from previous series , with far more gratuitous violence & far less gratuitous sex. Nice new addition of Ray Stevenson as Teach ....still cringe when they use the term 'port' instead of 'larboard' , though.
Not as cringeworthy as them using the term 'going forward' , though ....... the writers should be keel-hauled then flogged around the fleet for that !! :wall:
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 06 Dec 2016, 7:42 pm

Just finished watching series 6 of GofT -- Disappointed by the battle , as I fully expected a horde of Orcs to turn up & Gandalf to put in a late arrival :whistle:
Several more people killed in gratuitous & amusing fashion , and happy to see another character everyone was led to believe was dead ( especially if you've read the books ) is still alive.
Oh , and Ian McShane......got to qualify as one of the shortest appearances going ! :lol:

Also finished series 3 of 'Black Sails' -- more sillyness , more historical inaccuracies.
Brevet Cable

Postby TKK 140 on Sun 11 Dec 2016, 7:24 pm

The Long Ships, historically inaccurate Hollywood movie, don't make em like this anymore. :hide:
TKK 140

Postby AlexC on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:31 am

Just discovered The Big Bang Theory on E4. Generally recording about six a day. Great stuff!

Also just finished watching the box set of The Walking Dead Season Five. Just got to get Season Six now, but might have to wait until the price comes down a bit.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby tankbuster on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:37 am

So Planet Earth II is over. Unbelievably brilliant television. The whole team deserve great praise.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby AlexC on Mon 12 Dec 2016, 11:48 am

tankbuster wrote:The whole team deserve great praise.

Completely agree. It was stunning viewing from start to finish, wildlife filming just gets better and better. And what are we going to do when Sir David is no longer around, doesn't bear thinking about.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 15 Dec 2016, 5:17 pm

3/4 of the way through series 2 of 'Fear TWD'
I can see why the Mexicans are upset -- they're primarily portrayed as either drug-dealers or religious fanatics ( who have no problem killing people who are alive but don't kill people who are dead )
I had to re-watch the last episode of series 1 , as the very start of the first episode of series 2 has skipped the timeline.
It's only taken until S2 for FTWD to reach the same stage that TWD took several series to reach -- nutter gang-leaders & the main cast killing more living than zombies.
Oh , and someone feed the special effects idiots to the zombies........the supposedly 40m boat obviously isn't ( maybe they got it from the same supplier Cardiff got their Christmas tree :lol: ) and automatic weapons - especially pistols - do NOT repeatedly go 'click' when they're empty !! :wall:
Brevet Cable

Postby AlexC on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 4:44 pm

Just started season 6 of The Walking Dead.......Oh my, Just when I thought that Rick and Co. were sitting pretty in their new cushy location! :shock: Oh, and I thought that Glenn was shot at the end of season 5? He seems to have made a miraculous recovery.
AlexC

Postby james solomon on Mon 19 Dec 2016, 11:51 pm

Rewatching Brickleberry, Amazing world of gumball and Manhattan plus dragged out B29 Frozen in time dvd to rewatch
james solomon

Postby AndyXH558 on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 12:19 am

just finished watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon, season 2 eclipses season one. so many twists and turns in it. set in an alternate 1962 where the nazis and japan won WW2.
AndyXH558

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 9:23 am

AndyXH558 wrote:just finished watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon, season 2 eclipses season one. so many twists and turns in it. set in an alternate 1962 where the nazis and japan won WW2.

I'm struggling to finish season one. I can see it's superbly made, but is just very slow-paced and a bit dull. Season two moves a bit quicker?

Started The OA on Netflix this week. Off to a very strong start.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 10:33 am

Just finished series 4 of 'Ripper Street' -- Continuing it's usual mix of gratuitous violence & murder. As with series 3 , it suffered somewhat by trying to have too many story-lines running in parallel.
Rather surprised by the ending of the last episode , though.....not a character you'd have expected to be killed-off.

Also ( on DVD ) series 1 of 'Killjoys' -- A Canadian sci-fi about bounty-hunters in a small planetary system ruled by a corporation. Reminiscent of 'Firefly' with the semi-comedic storylines & settings , yet also akin to 'Dr Who' as much of it seems to have been filmed in disused factories.
Whilst I couldn't get into 'Dark Matter' ( which some reviewers rave about ) I found 'Killjoys' much more entertaining.
Oh , and it's another series with a Brit playing one of the main ( if no the main ) character....Hannah John-Kamen , who also plays Ornela in GofT
Brevet Cable

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 12:51 pm

We've thoroughly been enjoying Designated Survivor, not many episodes now to go through, but has had us hooked.

Also, Shooter on Netflix is very well made. Ok, it's pretty much the very same story as the film which had Mark Wahlberg in (and is Exec Produced by him as well as Antoine Fuqua) but Ryan Phillippe plays the character so very well and some nice extensions to the original plot and various diversions along the way have made it a very enjoyable series to watch so far.

I know Lethal Weapon has been turned into a tv series, not sure if Netflix or Amazon are going to pick it up though ?

Am also a few episodes in to 'Hell on Wheels' on Amazon Prime. Pretty good so far.

Looking forward to the fourth (and possibly final series) of Sherlock in the next few weeks, my good lady has had huge input into this series.

Hoping too that 'The Punisher' tv series is released soon, thought the actor was brilliant in Daredevil season 2 and so looking forward to see what they do with the character in his standalone spin-off.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby tankbuster on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 2:53 pm

AndyXH558 wrote:just finished watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon, season 2 eclipses season one. so many twists and turns in it. set in an alternate 1962 where the nazis and japan won WW2.

I've just used a Prime 30 day free trial to blitz all 20 episodes and thought it was brilliant. Worth every penny :biggrin:
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Spotty_Jag on Tue 20 Dec 2016, 3:26 pm

Designated Survivor, Walking Dead & Grand Tour for me currently. :win:
Spotty_Jag

Postby timuss on Thu 22 Dec 2016, 8:57 pm

Currently watching Shooter on Netflix based on the film of the same name. Designated Survivor and the Man In the High Castle.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby DanH on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:24 am

I've just watched the first couple of episodes of The Reassembler with James May. For those unfamiliar with the show, he takes various objects that have been disassembled into their component parts and puts them back together piece by piece. To many I'm sure it would be incredibly boring but I actually find it oddly interesting. It's on BBC4 at 9pm on Wednesday.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 4:54 pm

The Grand Tour, folks. Bit rubbish, no?

Just feels very dumbed-down and repetitive. All the gags have been done before, and the cars are just set-dressing for the three presenters playing exaggerated characters of themselves.

The films in the regular episodes are all way too long and boring, and the punchlines are so signposted you can spot them minutes before they happen.

Richard Hammond is unbearably irritating these days. And The American, Conversation Street and Celebrity Brain Whatever as concepts really don't work at all.

It looks as if Amazon have chucked them a pile of cash and left them and their egos to it, with no input regarding quality control or programme structure.

Rather better is The OA on Netflix, and Amazon are streaming the complete Seinfield collection.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 5:01 pm

Still not watched TGT and don't plan to either.
From comments I've read on other fora, I get the inpression that the only decent parts of the show are the features done by James May.
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 5:08 pm

For those who have an interest in that sort of thing, BBC are currently running a 3 part series on BBC4, 'Sword, Musket & Machine Gun: Britain's Armed History' tracing the development of weaponry.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087xksp
Brevet Cable

Postby DerekF on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 5:29 pm

I agree about the OA. Excellent stuff. Better than Stranger Things I thought. I do like most things Birt Marling is involved with though.

We've also enjoyed the Young Pope as well. Jude Law is simply superb as the unorthodox pontiff.
DerekF

Postby CJS on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:41 pm

Sherlock - discuss.

I loved it - :win: :worship: :dizzy: :clap: , my infinitely better half somehow managed to fall asleep after 15 minutes. :sleepy:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby DerekF on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 10:02 pm

Haven't seen this years "Sherlock" yet. Last year's was full of its own self-importance though; "Elementary" was/is much better.
DerekF

Postby AlexC on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:02 am

I've never watched 'Sherlock'. Is it set in the present time?
AlexC

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic