What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby DanH on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:24 am

I've just watched the first couple of episodes of The Reassembler with James May. For those unfamiliar with the show, he takes various objects that have been disassembled into their component parts and puts them back together piece by piece. To many I'm sure it would be incredibly boring but I actually find it oddly interesting. It's on BBC4 at 9pm on Wednesday.
Always seeking to lower the tone...
DanH

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 4:54 pm

The Grand Tour, folks. Bit rubbish, no?

Just feels very dumbed-down and repetitive. All the gags have been done before, and the cars are just set-dressing for the three presenters playing exaggerated characters of themselves.

The films in the regular episodes are all way too long and boring, and the punchlines are so signposted you can spot them minutes before they happen.

Richard Hammond is unbearably irritating these days. And The American, Conversation Street and Celebrity Brain Whatever as concepts really don't work at all.

It looks as if Amazon have chucked them a pile of cash and left them and their egos to it, with no input regarding quality control or programme structure.

Rather better is The OA on Netflix, and Amazon are streaming the complete Seinfield collection.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 5:01 pm

Still not watched TGT and don't plan to either.
From comments I've read on other fora, I get the inpression that the only decent parts of the show are the features done by James May.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 5:08 pm

For those who have an interest in that sort of thing, BBC are currently running a 3 part series on BBC4, 'Sword, Musket & Machine Gun: Britain's Armed History' tracing the development of weaponry.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b087xksp
Brevet Cable

Postby DerekF on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 5:29 pm

I agree about the OA. Excellent stuff. Better than Stranger Things I thought. I do like most things Birt Marling is involved with though.

We've also enjoyed the Young Pope as well. Jude Law is simply superb as the unorthodox pontiff.
DerekF

Postby CJS on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 7:41 pm

Sherlock - discuss.

I loved it - :win: :worship: :dizzy: :clap: , my infinitely better half somehow managed to fall asleep after 15 minutes. :sleepy:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby DerekF on Sat 07 Jan 2017, 10:02 pm

Haven't seen this years "Sherlock" yet. Last year's was full of its own self-importance though; "Elementary" was/is much better.
DerekF

Postby AlexC on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:02 am

I've never watched 'Sherlock'. Is it set in the present time?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Reds Rolling on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 11:45 am

AlexC wrote:I've never watched 'Sherlock'. Is it set in the present time?

Yes.
Reds Rolling

Postby tankbuster81 on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 5:30 pm

Reds Rolling wrote:

Yes.

Prefer the originals, and Benedict cumberpatch is so ugly he puts me off me tea!!!!
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Postby CJS on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 8:07 pm

Eat first?
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 9:07 pm

Not watched the 'Cabbagepatch' incarnation of 'Sherlock' ...... does it suffer from the silliness of the books & earlier series, where he names the guilty party & when he gives his deductions for doing so they bare no resemblance to anything even remotely mentioned previously ?
( Something like...."He poisoned him by feeding him blowfish , which he'd learned about whilst serving under 'Bully' Hayes in 1871" .......dig back through the book to find no mention of the murderer ever having been a sailor , for instance ) :lol:
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 9:44 pm

Hey, where did you get a copy of next week's from?
CJS

Postby RAF4EVER on Sun 08 Jan 2017, 10:03 pm

CJS wrote:Hey, where did you get a copy of next week's from?

Have you next weeks winning lottery numbers, :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:
RAF4EVER

Postby Ryan. on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 8:44 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:The Grand Tour, folks. Bit rubbish, no?

Have to admit, I agree. The whole "eating ice cream is gay" were a particular low point. Certainly something of very, very faded glory about it.
Ryan.

Postby AlexC on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 10:47 am

Reds Rolling wrote:

Yes.

In which case I'm glad that I haven't wasted any time on it, it's not for me.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 09 Jan 2017, 11:02 am

Ryan. wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:The Grand Tour, folks. Bit rubbish, no?

Have to admit, I agree. The whole "eating ice cream is gay" were a particular low point. Certainly something of very, very faded glory about it.

That bit was so "try hard" by Hammond it looked ridiculous. All three are now playing exaggerated caricatures of themselves. Even James May, the best of them, is now reduced to being a dim straight man to the other pair.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 10 Jan 2017, 12:46 pm

Thoroughly enjoying Sherlock, but kinda have to don't I :grin:

The Grand Tour is harmless entertainment and I still enjoy it. Yes, some of the segments are getting a bit tired and predictable, but it is still many times better than a lot of other dross showing on tv at the moment. There has already been explanations from the writers re the 'gay' joke from Hammond, makes more sense now that we know what they were trying to give reference to.

I have to admit being hooked on 'The Re-Assembler', can happily spend hours watching May at work :smile:

Am three-quarters into Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency on Netflix. The book was ok, although read it many, many years ago. This series has been ok, hopefully will continue for a 2nd season.

Disappointed by the sudden ending of Designated Survivor, but looks like it will be back in March.

Now that Masterchef the Professionals has finished, I'm watching the Great Interior Design Challenge. Absolute rubbish but ok to have in the background whilst eating supper :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby st24 on Tue 10 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm

Revolting on BBC2. Proof that there is life in the BBC... :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 11 Jan 2017, 11:26 am

Season two of The Man In The High Castle is a huge improvement in pace on the first. Enjoying it greatly.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby AlexC on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 3:51 pm

Spy in the Wild last night on Beeb 1 was outstanding. Must have cost a lot of money to make, but whatever it was it was well worth it.
AlexC

Postby speedbird2639 on Fri 13 Jan 2017, 4:18 pm

12 O'clock High with Gregory Peck on Film 4 - one of my favourite films and I'd not seen it for nearly 30 years.

Was going to be shot in colour but they decided to shoot it b/w so the archive footage from WW2 could be incorporated more effectively.
speedbird2639

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 12:32 am

Hidden gem on E4 called Timeless. Elements of Quantum Leap meets Indiana Jones meets Back To The Future. Good knockabout fun, and the first episode has an aviation theme, based around the Hindenburg disaster (up to the crash all facts historically accurate too, shock horror!).

Ratings haven't been great in the US, so it might be a one season wonder, but I'm really enjoying it.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby AlexC on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:57 am

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Amazon are streaming the complete Seinfield collection.

Ah, Seinfeld, now you're talkin', my favourite comedy series ever (got all the box sets) followed closely by Fraser. :lol:

I'm also watching the 'hidden gem' Timeless. Nonsense of course but I'm liking it too! Also pleased to see that the doctor from ER has got another job at last! Liked the Alamo (which I visited way back in '83, guarded by the fearsome Daughters of the Republic of Texas, you don't want to mess with them I tell yer!) episode with all my childhood hero's Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett, William Travis etc.
AlexC

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic