What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby st24 on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 12:44 pm

AlexC wrote:Spy in the Wild last night on Beeb 1 was outstanding. Must have cost a lot of money to make, but whatever it was it was well worth it.

Agreed, the obvious displays of grief by the Langurs and Giraffe was tangible and made for absorbing and humbling TV. The animatronic set ups are unbelievably good.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby st24 on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:44 am

Another big up for "Revolting" on BBC2 - the same pair who made "the revolution will be televised" that was on BBC3 originally. Biting satire mixed with Dom Jolly/Ali G-esque skits and pranks. Wonderfully abrasive to all-comers.

You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby toom317 on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 4:34 pm

Twin Peaks. Missed this in the early 90's as I working in Saudi, so bought the box set to watch. Season 1 was OK, but the rest after Laura's killer was revealed in season 2 was garbage. That's a chunk of my life I'm not getting back.

Also found from the internet it is coming back for a 3rd season this year.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
toom317
UKAR Supporter

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Thu 19 Jan 2017, 5:27 pm

Finished The OA last night. First seven episodes are great, finale was frankly awful and confusing. Disappointed.
Dan O'Hagan

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV

Postby TKK 140 on Thu 26 Jan 2017, 9:35 pm

Just finished Narcos series 1&2 on DVD, well worth watching. Gritty and frustrating pursuit of Pablo Escobar by two DEA agents in Columbia.
TKK 140

Postby boff180 on Thu 26 Jan 2017, 10:17 pm

Shadow Hunters season 2 started on Netflix just over 2 weeks ago, already two episodes available.

Only found out tonight :-) next one will be online on Tuesday.
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 02 Feb 2017, 11:50 pm

Most of the way through series 4 ( or Series 4 Part 1 , as it is on DVD ) of 'Vikings'.
Starts of slow, with very little of the usual gratuitous violence, but it picks up as the series progresses. Still highly amusing, more so as Ragnar is a junky who makes Floki look sane :lol:
Plenty of weirdness, several gruesome murders ( still playing fast & loose with history ), a gut-wrenching one-on-one fight ( you'll get what I mean when you see it ) and a couple of good battle scenes.

Part-way through 'Preacher'.
Lots of reviewers don't like it, but I do, simply because of it's weirdness.
The plot ? ...... errr.....you've got the Preacher who gets drunk a lot & gives people he doesn't like a good kicking, who's possessed by a half-demon/half-angel entity & can get people to do whatever he wants.
You've got an Irish vampire, who also drinks a lot & occasionally kills people ( sometimes several times )
You've got Rednecks.
You've got angels who are after the Preacher & you've got vampire-hunters who are after the vampire......see, told you it was weird ! :lol:

Also part-way through series 3 of the best zombie series going......'Z Nation'.
If you miss the very beginning of the first episode ( or fast-forward past it as I did ) you'll be thoroughly confused, as several people in it are already dead in the last series -- turns out it's a 'prequel' episode unrelated to anything which appeared in the last series, but it introduces several new characters.
Still as silly as ever.....series 1 had the bouncing bell, series 2 had the rolling cheese, now series 3 has the rolling ball ( or should that be maul ) of zombies !
And a new one for zombie series -- zombies eating zombies because they can't find any humans to eat.
Oh, and you've got Eskimos.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 15 Feb 2017, 4:52 pm

Watched the first episode of the remake of the '70s series 'Roots' on BBC4 the other night.
Won't bother watching the rest of the series, though, as it's a steaming heap of excrement.
Now I enjoyed the original series when it first came out......this garbage, on the other hand, seems to have taken all the decent stuff from the original and discarded it, keeping only the dross, then adding more dross just to make sure.
Historical accuracy was pretty low down on the makers list of priorities too, by the looks of it.

Finished watching series 1 of 'Preacher'....can't wait for series 2 ! :biggrin:
Series finished with a bang & plenty of gratuitous comic violence.....especially when it comes to angels.
God puts in an appearance ( or actually not* ) which wouldn't have been out of place in a Monty Python sketch.
* God's actually gone AWOL.....should be easy to find, though, as everybody knows he/she's a big skee-ball fan, unless the stygian triplets have got to him first ( well OK, that was 'Dogma', but I kept expecting Serendipidy & Rufus to turn up any second :lol: )
Brevet Cable

Postby Airwolfhound on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 12:56 pm

I haven't seen anyone mention about it yet, but I've been enjoying the new 24 Legacy series on Fox. The guy is no Jack Bauer, but it is a reasonable storyline so far, sufficient acts of violence and suspense to keep me occupied anyway :smile:
Likewise, have been watching Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix which has been enjoyable, if a little stupid, and thoroughly enjoying the new Lethal Weapon series.
I too thoroughly enjoyed Preacher, am a fan of Dominic Cooper, so was no hardship watching this.
The new series of Top Gear is hitting its stride now, quite enjoyed last nights episode.
Last edited by Airwolfhound on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby TKK 140 on Mon 20 Mar 2017, 8:27 pm

Just caught up with the first episode of the second series of "The Last Kingdom" on the BBC, not quite the same as the Bernard Cornwall book but still passable entertainment.
TKK 140

Postby AlexC on Tue 21 Mar 2017, 11:08 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Watched the first episode of the remake of the '70s series 'Roots' on BBC4 the other night.
Won't bother watching the rest of the series, though, as it's a steaming heap of excrement.

I also gave up on it after watching the first episode. :down:

Just noticed that a new series, 'The Good Fight' which is a spin-off of 'The Good Wife' starts on More4 on 30 March, with Christine Baranski (The Big Bang Theory). I've marked that down as one to watch! :smile:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby jag636 on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 8:40 pm

Sorry I missed the match I was watching paint dry, you I find that more stimulating than watching 23 grown men who are all over paid chase a bag of wind around and then think they are hero's. I believe its time the man on the shop floor stopped paying his hard earned cash to go and waste his time sitting and supporting thieves kick around and laugh at him from their lamborgini worth £250,000 :mad:
Member of Newark air museum and trustee/acquisitions officer just trying to save what we all love and thats history
jag636

Postby DerekF on Tue 28 Mar 2017, 9:28 pm

After a bit of a binge watch, I've managed to catch up with all the Netflix Marvel series.

Jessica Jones was, I thought the best of the four
Daredevil was a close second though.
Luke Cage was OK but very slow. 5 episodes crammed into 13.
Iron Fist was a bit of a disappointment

Next up The Defenders later on this year.

I've also enjoyed The Returned, Timeless, The Expanse, Humans, Travelers and an excellent DVD set of the Twilight Zone.
DerekF

Postby DerekF on Thu 30 Mar 2017, 9:05 pm

Best thing on TV so far this year:- Brian Pern: A tribute.

Superb stuff.
DerekF

Postby timuss on Fri 31 Mar 2017, 9:24 pm

Roadkill on Netflix really interesting motoring show with muscle cars etc...
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Fri 31 Mar 2017, 10:16 pm

DerekF wrote:After a bit of a binge watch, I've managed to catch up with all the Netflix Marvel series.

Jessica Jones was, I thought the best of the four
Daredevil was a close second though.
Luke Cage was OK but very slow. 5 episodes crammed into 13.
Iron Fist was a bit of a disappointment

Next up The Defenders later on this year.

I've also enjoyed The Returned, Timeless, The Expanse, Humans, Travelers and an excellent DVD set of the Twilight Zone.

Good to see some love for Timeless, which has slipped under most people's radar. Best time-travel series since Quantum Leap. Audiences tailed off markedly in the States, and the run was truncated, and there's no word on a second season. Those who watched it, loved it. It might be one that grows an audience over time, as Breaking Bad did, but NBC are far more cut-throat over ratings than AMC are.
Dan O'Hagan

Postby AlexC on Sat 01 Apr 2017, 3:03 pm

Timeless was nonsense, but I enjoyed it. Hate to think what that says about me? :oops: Don't see how it can be compared with Breaking Bad however.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby CJS on Tue 02 May 2017, 6:05 am

Line of Duty - proof again that the BBC still has it.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby Pringles on Tue 02 May 2017, 3:14 pm

CJS wrote:Line of Duty - proof again that the BBC still has it.

Hear hear, compelling viewing and a breathtaking conclusion. I'd go so far as to say it is of the best shows on TV at the moment :clap:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 02 May 2017, 3:59 pm

Wait until the American ruination - sorry, remake - of it is released
Brevet Cable

Postby DeanW on Tue 02 May 2017, 4:34 pm

Started watching 13 Reasons Why last night and in true Netflix style binged a good 4 hours of it. It's a bit teen-drama-esque (I had nothing to watch after Big Little Lies!), but becomes more intriguing and gripping as the series progresses. Worth a go.
DeanW

Postby The Baron on Tue 02 May 2017, 6:12 pm

Nothing! The vast majority is rubbish or repeats.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
The Baron

Postby DerekF on Tue 02 May 2017, 7:00 pm

CJS wrote:Line of Duty - proof again that the BBC still has it.

It was excellent. We missed series 1 and 2 but they're on Netflix at the moment.
DerekF

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 02 May 2017, 7:07 pm

The Baron wrote:Nothing! The vast majority is rubbish or repeats.

How would you know it's rubbish or repeats if you're not watching anything ?
Brevet Cable

Postby cg_341 on Tue 02 May 2017, 7:08 pm

Because you can look in the Radio Times, or one of the many EPG apps that exist, which tell you?
cg_341

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic