What are UKARians watching on TV?

Re: What are UKARians watching on TV?

Postby DerekF on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 11:32 am

Gordon Ramsay says he is Scottish, he was born in Scotland but it's down to his parent's nationality. Regardless, however, he should know how to pronounce Brechin properly. Even English readers of the football scores know how to pronounce it. Unless he meant Brecon of course......
DerekF

Postby Beefy on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 11:34 am

Brevet Cable wrote:Last 2 episodes of Dr Who.....

Plus the obligatory political-correctness -- white people are evil, guns are bad, etc.

Er, yeah, with both points being correct. Factually and historically :up:

Even without the PCness there is no argument against either. Just take a ride through history. White men are evil.

Guns are instruments of death. How are they anything other than bad! :wall:
Beefy

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 12:22 pm

Take a look through history & you'll find that that argument can be made for pretty much every race.
Presumably you also believe that only white people indulged in slavery and/or racism too?

Guns are evil?
I'm looking at a number of antique firearms right now.....funnily enough, in all the years that I've had them they haven't jumped out of their cases & attacked anyone.
Have any of them ever been used by people to try to kill other people? Given that the majority were military issue, chances are that they have been.
But then, the same could be said for the majority of the antique swords, knives & bayonets I own ( not all, as some are 'dress swords' )
Now if I owned a Roman Gladius ( unfortunately not ) that could really be considered to be a weapon that killed a heck of a lot of people - some statistics say more than any other individual weapon system...having been in use for over 600 years, it's probably correct.

It's just as well I didn't comment on the other bit of political correctness in this series, that would really get some people going.
Unofficial forum brauer und winzer
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 1:04 pm

I think if you *really* hunt for it, you can find the odd example of non-white folk who weren't exactly lovely, and even the occasional non-evil white man. :-o
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby DerekF on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 1:18 pm

I'm at a loss as to why political correctness is seen as a bad thing? Surely including other races, genders, religions etc. is a good thing? Being considerate to others should be something to be admired. Not sneered at.

As far as Doctor Who is concerned, the Doctor's aversion to guns has been around for a while, since at least the tenth Doctor and maybe before.

Anyway, I'm quite enjoying the new series. There are plenty of other programmes populated by white middle aged blokes. You don't have to look very far.
DerekF

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 1:35 pm

Because in previous series it was just something that was there, if that makes any sense.
They didn't see the need to emphasise it in just about every episode by vocalising it.

I don't have an issue with having a female Dr Who ( well, OK, a slight one.....namely the fact that they could just as easily have done a spin-off series with a female Time Lord, given that there have been several of them in previous series harking all the way back to the original one )
It's the script & storyline that's naff & JW gives the impression of trying too hard.
Brevet Cable

Postby maltwoser on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 12:14 pm

Finally got around to watching the last season of The Americans. Highly recommended, and they finished it off superbly. The last season of Bates Motel wasn't as good as previous ones but still worth a look. Just started The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix.

The "live" episode of Inside No.9 on Sunday was a work of genius. If you haven't seen it, try and catch it on iplayer.

Yep, I watched it twice last night! Consistently excellent programme.
maltwoser

Postby Euan Buchan on Sun 04 Nov 2018, 9:15 pm

I’m watching The Little Drummer Girl on BBC1
Euan Buchan

Postby Airwolfhound on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 12:42 pm

Absolutely loving Season 3 of Daredevil on Netflix :clap: :clap: :clap:

Season 2 of Seal Team isn't too shoddy either :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby ArabJazzie on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 5:38 pm

Euan Buchan wrote:I’m watching The Little Drummer Girl on BBC1

Wife took a dislike to that last week so we swapped over last night to Guy Martins Worlds Fastest Van. It may just be that he has the facilities to do most of the work i want to do, but i thoroughly enjoyed it!

Now where can i fit that Ford 3.5V6 Ecoboost?
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!
ArabJazzie

Postby Brevet Cable on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 5:49 pm

So did it prove to be faster than any of Ford's own 'Supervan' Transits, all of which were tested at over 150MPH ?
Brevet Cable

Postby ArabJazzie on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 8:32 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:So did it prove to be faster than any of Ford's own 'Supervan' Transits, all of which were tested at over 150MPH ?

SPOILER ALERT FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT SEEN IT! There may be a few out there! :whistle:

In regards to cars, if i were a stick of rock, i would be blue, oval with Ford written right though! But i cannot support the Mk2 Transit "Supervan" shown last night as having a claim to being the fastest van at 174/176/177mph. Its a scale model!

Guys van at least started as a Transit and was adapted to hit a salt flat speed of 163mph(?) with too wide tyres. It was re-adapted to take the Nurburgring van record, which it did twice by over 30 seconds then engine fire stopped play!

I hope Guy gets another chance at the all out speed record at someplace like Hangar Straight, where Supervan is said to have hit 177mph.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!
ArabJazzie

Postby Euan Buchan on Mon 05 Nov 2018, 9:25 pm

Watching Car Share
Euan Buchan

Postby Euan Buchan on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 10:33 pm

I'm watching a programme called JFK's Secret Killer The Evidence.
Euan Buchan

Postby Brevet Cable on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 7:19 pm

Caught up on the latest 3 episodes of Dr Who on Sunday night...
Episode 5 - another one naffer than a naff thing, with a storyline that's been done several times before.
Will admit I found the alien amusing, though.

Episode 6 - you'll be shocked to know I actually enjoyed it! :shock:
I was expecting them to go all 'evil British Empire' but they didn't.

Episode 7 - another one I enjoyed, especially as it was one big dig at Amazon ( not that they'd admit to it ) and more like an old-style Dr Who episode.

Hmm....I'm seeing a pattern here....the episodes I like are the ones which haven't been written by Chibnall.
The next 2 are also non-Chibnall, so let's see if the trend continues.

One thing that annoys me, though -- in all previous incarnations of Dr Who, the 'sonic screwdriver' was used sparingly.....so far in this series, the 'sonic rabbit'( :whistle: ) has seen so much use it's no wonder the batteries keep going flat.
Brevet Cable

Postby Euan Buchan on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 10:20 pm

Watching The Walking Dead. Though have to say it’s getting bit boring now not as good as it used to be .
Last edited by Euan Buchan on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Euan Buchan

Postby CJS on Wed 21 Nov 2018, 10:45 pm

Brevet Cable wrote:
One thing that annoys me, though -- in all previous incarnations of Dr Who, the 'sonic screwdriver' was used sparingly.....so far in this series, the 'sonic rabbit'( :whistle: ) has seen so much use it's no wonder the batteries keep going flat.

You sure you're not watching something else BC? ;-)
CJS

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 10:54 am

You've got a smutty mind, it was a completely innocent comment.....And the batteries have run out on several occasions this series. :whistle: :biggrin:

As for the nickname, even Jodie Whittaker's made reference to it. :lol:
Brevet Cable

Postby Euan Buchan on Thu 22 Nov 2018, 8:12 pm

Catching up with last night’s episode of Blood on Channel 5 before watching tonight’s episode.
Euan Buchan

Postby AlexC on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 12:47 pm

I'm currently watching 'School' on BBC2. I've noticed recently that children in school (even those in primary school) are more and more being referred to as 'student's' rather then 'pupils'. I've always thought that student's were people studying at university? I suspect that this may be being influenced by US usage as in so many cases these days. Wonder how long it will be before we start referring to public conveniences as 'rest rooms'?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Brevet Cable on Thu 29 Nov 2018, 1:59 pm

You could say the rot set in several years ago when those doing A-Levels started being referred to as going to '6th Form College'
Brevet Cable

Postby CJS on Fri 30 Nov 2018, 6:51 am

Better that than calling them stakeholders or something worse!

It's a fascinating series and, although obviously cleverly edited, out highlights the truly massive difference between primary and secondary education (well it does if you have an awareness already of the former anyway!).

It also proves the mess that the education system will find itself in unless more funding is somehow found for it. And I mean genuine funding, that can actually benefit all schools and children.
CJS

Postby AlexC on Fri 30 Nov 2018, 1:50 pm

CJS wrote:Better that than calling them stakeholders or something worse!

Now that's something that I can agree with, although I still think that they are pupils!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby AlexC on Wed 12 Dec 2018, 4:18 pm

Quite a good programme on 'Yesterday' yesterday about the new carrier the Gerald R. Ford, seemed strange being on Yesterday though, seeing as she's not in service yet. One thing mentioned that I didn't know was that the afterburner was invented by Frank Whittle?
AlexC

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic