Movies!

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
vandal

Re: Movies!

Post by vandal »

Brevet Cable wrote:On DVD :

Jason Bourne -- OK, but getting a bit formulaic now. Hopefully it'll be the last one.

Mechanic : Resurrection -- It's 'The Stath', so you know exactly what you're going to get :lol: I actually preferred it to the first one ( although neither are as good or as silly as the 'Crank' movies )

Currently watching the first one starring Mr Statham on Film 4 just now - waiting on The Raid 2 coming on. Think the original Mechanic starring Charles Bronson is on Netflix, so I'll need to watch that at some point too.

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

I know it got panned by the critics but I really liked T2: Trainspotting 2.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

ericbee123 wrote:I know it got panned by the critics but I really liked T2: Trainspotting 2.

Just watched it on DVD last night. I didn't think it was as good as Trainspotting, but it was an enjoyable watch. Nice to see all these characters again, 20 years on, and see how they had got on in life.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Not new by any stretch but just flicking through the channels this morning and came across Empire of the sun on TCM, just at the moment for the "Cadillac of the skies" as well.

still a fantastic piece of cinematography even 30 years on.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Saw the new Tom Cruise film 'The Mummy' on Friday, kinda wished I hadn't bothered :grin:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

vandal

Post by vandal »

Airwolfhound wrote:Saw the new Tom Cruise film 'The Mummy' on Friday, kinda wished I hadn't bothered :grin:

Is this a stand alone Mummy film, or a continuation of the Mummy saga - the ones with Brendan Fraser & Rachel Weiss?

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

vandal wrote:
Airwolfhound wrote:Saw the new Tom Cruise film 'The Mummy' on Friday, kinda wished I hadn't bothered :grin:

Is this a stand alone Mummy film, or a continuation of the Mummy saga - the ones with Brendan Fraser & Rachel Weiss?

It isn't the BF/RW franchise ones. I saw Tom Cruise on the Graham Norton show a few weeks back, and he said it was part of Universals "Dark Universe", where they are revisiting the old Universal classics. I can't remember the exact details of what he said, but basically they are doing 6 films, The Mummy, Wolfman and others, and the common thread running through them is the actress who plays the archaeologist, is in them all investigating all these old myths. Russel Crowe is in one playing Dr Jekyll, I think.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

toom317 wrote:
vandal wrote:

It isn't the BF/RW franchise ones. I saw Tom Cruise on the Graham Norton show a few weeks back, and he said it was part of Universals "Dark Universe", where they are revisiting the old Universal classics. I can't remember the exact details of what he said, but basically they are doing 6 films, The Mummy, Wolfman and others, and the common thread running through them is the actress who plays the archaeologist, is in them all investigating all these old myths. Russel Crowe is in one playing Dr Jekyll, I think.

Yeah, Russell Crowe was in this new 'The Mummy' film. Didn't really do a lot when he 'changed' to be fair, was expecting more from him. Maybe he'll be in a stand alone film down the line ?

vandal

Post by vandal »

Thanks for the replies. :smile:

The crossover / stand alone angle seemed to work well with the Marvel films, so maybe it will here too. Not too big a Horror fan though, but do remember the old Frankenstein / Dracula etc films with Peter Cushing, Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Boris Karloff.

Going to watch The Accountant (Ben Affleck) & The Great Wall (Matt Damon).

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Airwolfhound wrote:
toom317 wrote:
vandal wrote:

Yeah, Russell Crowe was in this new 'The Mummy' film. Didn't really do a lot when he 'changed' to be fair, was expecting more from him. Maybe he'll be in a stand alone film down the line ?

Thanks Airwolfhound, from your comment, I think I'll wait for the DVD as I was thinking of going to the cinema to see this. With your name, are you in one. :shock: :hide:

vandal

Post by vandal »

Watched The Great Wall last night.

If you enjoyed House of Flying Daggers / Hero (Jet Li), then this is probably worth a watch.

Recently watched Assassins Creed.

Was not as good as I was expecting - couldn't really concentrate on the plot as it kept jumping between the past and present during just about every fight. Would show the assassin in combat back in Spanish Inquisition times, then would switch to main character strapped into the 'Animus' (the machine that enables it's subject to live as their ancestor) going through the motions of his ancestor - the assassin.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

timuss wrote:Just watched American Sniper on Amazon what a great film, i was familiar with Chris Kyle but didn't realise the outcome of the film.

Yes I agree, that was a good film. I have to admit a certain fascination with the history of sharp-shooting or sniping perhaps after seeing that film about rival German and Russian snipers, although I forget the name of the film. Always gets two stars in the Radio Times when it's on, but I think it was much better then that.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

AlexC wrote:
timuss wrote:Just watched American Sniper on Amazon what a great film, i was familiar with Chris Kyle but didn't realise the outcome of the film.

Yes I agree, that was a good film. I have to admit a certain fascination with the history of sharp-shooting or sniping perhaps after seeing that film about rival German and Russian snipers, although I forget the name of the film. Always gets two stars in the Radio Times when it's on, but I think it was much better then that.

Enemy at the Gates. Jude Law and Ed Harris?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

They may as well have changed the ending of 'American Sniper', given how much a work of fiction it was.

If you're into films like that & don't mind subtitles, try the Russian-made 'Battle for Sevastopol'
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

vandal

Post by vandal »

Brevet Cable wrote:They may as well have changed the ending of 'American Sniper', given how much a work of fiction it was.

If you're into films like that & don't mind subtitles, try the Russian-made 'Battle for Sevastopol'

Is this the one about a Female sniper?

Shooter (Mark Wahlberg) - worth a look too.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Yep, Lyudmila Pavlichenko ( with over 300 kills, the most successful female sniper )......whilst still somewhat fictional, it's infinitely more accurate than 'Enemy At The Gates'
아직도 숨어있다

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Brevet Cable wrote:Yep, Lyudmila Pavlichenko ( with over 300 kills, the most successful female sniper )......whilst still somewhat fictional, it's infinitely more accurate than 'Enemy At The Gates'

Any sniper film that doesn't have a high level of accuracy is not worth watching in my opinion.....

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

That'll be none of them, then.
Some are more accurate than others, but at the end of the day they're all made for entertainment and/or propaganda purposes.
Even a lot of the documentaries fall into that category.
아직도 숨어있다

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

toom317 wrote:Thanks Airwolfhound, from your comment, I think I'll wait for the DVD as I was thinking of going to the cinema to see this. With your name, are you in one. :shock: :hide:

Lol, nah, although would be nice to see a Bell 222 shooting things up a bit on the big screen ;-)

My actual surname may appear on one of them if my wife ends up working on them which is a possibility though :smile:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Again, on DVD...
'X-Men : Apocalypse' -- managed to struggle through about half hour of it then gave up.
아직도 숨어있다

vandal

Post by vandal »

The Accountant (Ben Affleck)

One of those films you have to pay attention to, you can't go and make a cuppa or you'll miss something.

2 hours long, but worth it. :up:

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

Wonder woman... Good film and had a friend in the pub behind chris pike and Gal Gadot. I enjoyed it as it had a lot of humour which doenst seem to be evident in other DC universe films.

But. (spoiler Alert.)

Why did they use 1940s hangars, Bentwaters for the final confrontation with the HAS in very much evident.... oh and German Avro 504s. ok Geek Mode is off ........ :lol:
Start every day with a smile!

jaguar54

Post by jaguar54 »

Looking forward to seeing the new remake film 'Dunkirk' coming out in July

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

'Doctor Strange' ( on DVD ) -- silly, as you'd expect from a Marvel movie, and entertaining. Agree with the previous reviews on here about it.
And where can I get a stein like Thor's ? :lol:

'The Homesman' ( on iPlayer ) -- an unusual western, with Hilary Swank perfectly suited to her part....and Tommy Lee Jones seemed to be trying to fit as much comedy as possible into what was a serious film.
Have to admit I wasn't expecting that ending.
아직도 숨어있다

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Hilary Swank? Looks like the normally foolproof poor language checker has done its worst on Hilary's surname.