Is traffic just getting worse?

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
FGR2

Is traffic just getting worse?

Post by FGR2 »

Last Saturday, went over to my Brother's in Reading. From Essex to Reading took 3 hours!

The parents went over there Friday afternoon, also took 3 hours.

Decided today that I would go around to Hendon. Now stuck in 7 miles of stationary traffic on the M25 as it is closed due to an accident.

Just seems like it is pointless trying to travel anywhere, unless it is 2 in the morning as it takes 3 times as long as it should do. It just seems to be getting worse.

neilos

Re: Is traffic just getting worse?

Post by neilos »

Weekends are the pits for the M25.

Get to around 10am on a Saturday & Sunday and.....

You get people who haven't got a clue what they are doing.

You get people who haven't a clue on how to drive on a Motorway.

They think the middle lane is just for them, they are oblivious as to what's going on around them.

It's full of people out visiting relatives and going shopping, (see the above 3 points).

I drive the M25 between Junction 21a and Heathrow at least 6 times a day, everyday. You can spot the idiots a mile off that don't use the M25 during the week as their driving style is totally different.

I wouldn't say the traffic is getting worse, I'd say it's people's driving. Bet the accident is in the roadworks?. It's down to people being in too much of a rush, driving too close.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Seems to me that the M25 is getting worse and worse every year. Luckily I don't need to use it that often these days, (but I will have to late next week) although I listen to the traffic reports, and there seems to be an accident somewhere on there almost every day.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

As Chris Rea stated. "This is the Road to Hell'
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

And as others have probably noticed , the wonderful law changes { http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=52088 } which came into effect over a week ago have made no difference whatsoever to peoples driving standards !!
Maybe if Plod bothered to take an interest { instead of indulging in abysmal driving themselves } and actually did their job of enforcing the law things would improve.
{ Better still , privatise it ....... I'm sure G4S or one of the other security companies could make it work !! :whistle: }
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

DanH

Post by DanH »

We drove from Worthing up to Sheffield on Friday and it took us 7 hours when it should have been 5 max. The M25 was bad enough but the M1 was diabolical, it was slow most of the way due to the sheer volume of traffic and occasionally came to a complete standstill. On the other hand, the journey back today was fine. Not a jam in sight and got home in 4 1/2 hours.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

The M4 is getting ridiculous now with accidents blocking the Westbound Carriageway every morning, including the morning of Abingdon, and it takes like 2 hours to get from Chippenham to Swindon sometimes :mad:

The accident we saw involved a big car which had rolled over by obviously hitting the verge and bouncing onto the carriageway.
Last edited by MRTT on Sun 25 Aug 2013, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The accident this morning was between Brentwood and Abridge. Took around two and a half hours to get to Hendon.

On the way back traffic was heavy through the roadworks, and there was another pranged car by the M11 turn off, although no traffic problems there. Don't know if they had hit barriers and spun it, there we're a couple of people walking away from it down the hard shoulder.

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Brevet Cable wrote:{ instead of indulging in abysmal driving themselves }

Oh? have they been involved in a case of abysmal driving ? Not seen anything on the news, what was it ?
Last edited by MarkL on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTAFC

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Traffic numbers have certainly increased but there does seem to be an increased amount of numpties on the road which just do not know how to drive or choose to ignore every single road rule. I don't include speeding in this I mean undertaking, tail gating, road rage, jumping red lights, bully lane changing, forcing their way in front, not using mirrors, wrong lane at roundabouts deliberately. And on and on and ariston.

In the past 12 months I've never had so many incidents, including a guy cutting me up and then stopping his car when I hit my horn, getting out and wanting to start on me...

Yesterday I had a "young mother" with her baby in the car overtake me on a roundabout forcing the car in front to do an emergency stop as she cut in front of them to exit!

That and the new scam that is around here.... rather than suddenly breaking in front of you so that you hit people..... the scammers are flashing you at junctions when you are waiting to turn onto a road, waiting for you to start moving/turning then ramming you. They then claim you weren't looking and didn't stop at the junction, suing you to high heaven. Impossible to claim otherwise without CCTV as crash cams face forward...

Andy

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

boff180 wrote:That and the new scam that is around here.... rather than suddenly breaking in front of you so that you hit people..... the scammers are flashing you at junctions when you are waiting to turn onto a road, waiting for you to start moving/turning then ramming you. They then claim you weren't looking and didn't stop at the junction, suing you to high heaven. Impossible to claim otherwise without CCTV as crash cams face forward...

Andy

That's something that I'm aware of, but don't think it's happened locally to me yet. I'm seriously thinking of waving on anyone who flashes me at junctions now. Better to lose a little time then to get sued, besides having a damaged car.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

HTFC wrote:

Oh? have they ben involved in a case of abysmal driving ? Not seen anything on the news, what was it ?

Errr.....what ??
Or are you just trying to be clever { and failing dismally } ??
Mind you , not the first time you've made a stupid & inane reply to one of my posts , is it....... :whistle:
아직도 숨어있다

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Have seriously considered buying a dashcam - the amount of awful driving videos I would've accumulated on the way to/from Little Gransden yesterday would have made a whole Youtube video! e.g.

a) Idiot in front of me who stopped at a roundabout with no other cars in sight - asking for somebody (almost me in this case) to go in the back of him. Turned out he was trying to light a cigarette. Ban smoking while driving - just as dangerous as phones, if not more!

b) Chavs in a horrific modified Ford Focus deciding it was funny to throw eggs at cars as they overtook them...

and c) on the subject of overtaking, the elderly lady ambling along the middle-lane of the M11 at 50mph. She is why the new middle-lane hogger law has been introduced.

Back to the main topic - as Boff said traffic numbers have increased. The situation in London and the South East isn't helped by increasingly horrendous train serviceability; Greater Anglia's twitter feed recently has been in meltdown with complaints.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Im a mobile IT engineer and drive about 40k a year all around the south and south west. During the week you have mostlly the 'professionals' driving. So Lorries on the inside, those trying to save a bit of fuel in the middle and people like me in the outside lane doing 80+, it all works perfectly well. Then we get the school holidays with its reverse rush hour. Its lovely and clear until about 10 am and then you get a load of numpties who are in the middle lane over taking the lorries at 2mph more than the lorries are doing. Worse are the days between Christmas and new year. These people don't seen to have any idea that some of us are in a rush to get to customers.Thankfully I have avoided going to Devon and Cornwall this summer. One thing that bus me is the A303 by Stonehenge. I know 2 parallel routes that nobody uses to bypass the pile of stupid stones. I believe Britain has 1000's of miles of lovely roads so use them and don't get stuck!
One of the most dangerous thing I ever saw was on the M27 inti M3 junction at Southampton. A women with a car load of kids had stopped at the end of the slip road and obviously could not now get out, just stupid!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

farnboroughrob wrote:....During the week you have mostlly the 'professionals' driving.......those trying to save a bit of fuel in the middle and people like me in the outside lane doing 80+

Am I the only one who sees the contradiction here , because neither of these acts strikes me as being particularly 'professional' :whistle:
One of the most dangerous thing I ever saw was on the M27 inti M3 junction at Southampton. A women with a car load of kids had stopped at the end of the slip road and obviously could not now get out, just stupid!
Of course , you do realise that if you are joining a motorway and are unable to filter into the traffic already on the carriageway , such as when confronted by the obligatory convoys of idiots in HGVs driving with a fagpaper-width of space between each lorry , then - as the give-way vehicle - you are obliged to stop if required { although the unofficial 'rule' which the Police used to advise drivers is to continue off the sliproad onto the hard shoulder & join from there }

{ edited to sort out a messed-up quote :oops: }
Last edited by Brevet Cable on Mon 26 Aug 2013, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
아직도 숨어있다

Elbow

Post by Elbow »

Good point
Run, jump, fly

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Brevet Cable wrote:
HTFC wrote:

Oh? have they ben involved in a case of abysmal driving ? Not seen anything on the news, what was it ?

Errr.....what ??
Or are you just trying to be clever { and failing dismally } ??
Mind you , not the first time you've made a stupid & inane reply to one of my posts , is it....... :whistle:

Well, no need to be rude, was a straight forward question.

My assumption would be that the police, especially traffic police, are advanced motorists ? So how do you deduce they are abysmal at driving ?
HTAFC

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Let me see.......tailgating other traffic { some would say they were attempting to intimidate the driver in front of them } ; driving aimlessly down the 3rd lane of the motorway when the other 2 lanes are clear , then suddenly swerving across the other lanes to leave the motorway after the 100m marker-board ; sitting in the middle lane of the motorway at 50MPH for no reason ; failing to indicate ; pulling out in front of other traffic ; speeding ; driving through red lights ........ need I go on ??
All of these antics are regularly carried out by "South Wales' finest" { and not a blue light or siren in use at the time }
I could also throw in the 2 South Wales Ambulance Service LR Discos who are regularly seen at roughly the same time every Thursday evening racing each other { with 'blues & twos' going } along the M4.

As for enforcing the law.......go to Cardiff city centre most nights of the week { but especially Friday & Saturday }.......watch the taxi drivers commit just about every traffic offence in the book.....watch the Plods standing around in groups of 3 or 4 , playing with their mobile phones & ignoring the taxi drivers' antics.......listen to the taxi drivers all sitting there in the taxi rank aimlessly sounding their horns in the early hours of the morning , with the Plods standing across the road from the taxi rank taking absolutely no action whatsoever to stop them.

I somehow doubt that the Police in Cardiff { or South Wales in general } are unique in this respect.
아직도 숨어있다

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

farnboroughrob wrote:Im a mobile IT engineer and drive about 40k a year all around the south and south west. During the week you have mostlly the 'professionals' driving. So Lorries on the inside, those trying to save a bit of fuel in the middle and people like me in the outside lane doing 80+, it all works perfectly well. Then we get the school holidays with its reverse rush hour. Its lovely and clear until about 10 am and then you get a load of numpties who are in the middle lane over taking the lorries at 2mph more than the lorries are doing. Worse are the days between Christmas and new year. These people don't seen to have any idea that some of us are in a rush to get to customers.Thankfully I have avoided going to Devon and Cornwall this summer. One thing that bus me is the A303 by Stonehenge. I know 2 parallel routes that nobody uses to bypass the pile of stupid stones. I believe Britain has 1000's of miles of lovely roads so use them and don't get stuck!

In my experience, the "professional driver" are the source of 90% of the incidents I see on Motorways.

Lorries over taking each other on a hill at the same speed, "reps" tail gating people over taking slower traffic if they aren't doing 90mph, "reps" and "white van men" undertaking slower traffic, "reps" and "white van men" still using their mobile phones(!), Lorries swinging out without notice, "reps" cutting up traffic in the slow lane to exit the motorway at the last possible moment from the fast lane.

Then again I cannot stand people that do not do the speed limit in dry conditions, there is nothing more infuriating then someone driving at 45mph or 50mph in a 60mph national speed limit area. I was taught to drive at the speed limit when conditions allow (or above when no one else is about :whistle:) but driving slower in good conditions just slows up all other traffic and can in some cases induce dangerous overtaking from frustrated traffic.

Andy

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

boff180 wrote:I was taught to drive at the speed limit when conditions allow (or above when no one else is about :whistle:)
Conversely , I was taught to drive to the road & weather conditions.
The majority of narrow country lanes are 60MPH , but you'd have to be either a total nutter or have a death wish to try doing that.
Of course , when i was young , indestructable & the 'best driver in the world' { and I defy anybody to honestly say they haven't thought that of themselves :whistle: } I readily indulged in all manner of stupid driving stunts.....so much so that looking back at them now I'm honestly surprised I'm still alive !! :shock:
{ And regarding my above reference to narrow country lanes.......been there , done that , and at speeds conciderably higher than 60MPH , thus being a living example that the Gods really do look after fools }
아직도 숨어있다

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Note the phrase... when conditions allow.

I'm referring to A and B roads here, well maintained two lane roads.

st24

Post by st24 »

Well having spent the last few days driving around Poland it's so nice to be back in the UK! :dizzy: :hide: :hide:
I blame the foreigners....
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Well, as most accidents are shunts, and there's more and more cars, it's inevitable that there will be more accidents. It doesn't help that every second driver seems to be on their mobile phones.

It also doesn't help that roads are closed for far longer than they used to be following an accident. Here's 26 hours.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/travel/latest-travel-news/video-a1-southbound-took-26-hours-to-fully-re-open-after-crash-1-5295061

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

I drove to Spa for the Belgian Grand Prix at the weekend at it was an absolute breeze. Motorways that are four lanes wide, speed limits of 80 or 85 mph, no lorries trying to overtake up hills and not that much traffic in general!

Our road infrastructure just can't handle the overwhelming number of motor vehicles over here. However, since the M25 has been widened to 4 lanes in some areas, I have noticed a bit of an improvement so perhaps there's hope something can be done about it.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

DeanW wrote:I drove to Spa for the Belgian Grand Prix at the weekend at it was an absolute breeze
Ironically , some of the worse drivers in Europe used to be the Belgians........something to do with the fact that up until the late '70s they didn't even have to do a driving test !! :shock:
아직도 숨어있다