F1 2014

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: F1 2014

Post by Wissam24 »

rdchawk wrote:Perhaps F1 should now stop calling itself the pinnacle of racing with the best racing drivers - because now it seems sadly both statements are not true anymore.

Wondering how you can define drivers like Hamilton, Alonso and Raikonnen as not being some of the best racing drivers? The first two especially are probably some of the best in history.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | "soul-sapping mundanity"

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Wissam24 wrote:
rdchawk wrote:Perhaps F1 should now stop calling itself the pinnacle of racing with the best racing drivers - because now it seems sadly both statements are not true anymore.

Wondering how you can define drivers like Hamilton, Alonso and Raikonnen as not being some of the best racing drivers? The first two especially are probably some of the best in history.

How many F1 drivers have won the Race of Champions??? Where the best of the best are put together.

And as a side note how many F1 drivers are there because they bought their seat??
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

rdchawk wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:

How many F1 drivers have won the Race of Champions??? Where the best of the best are put together.

And as a side note how many F1 drivers are there because they bought their seat??

2. Given that the format of the race suits rally drivers well, it's hardly suprising that the majority of winners have been rally drivers, not to mention it's only in the last few years other drivers have taken part. Rally drivers are increidble drivers but comparing it to F1 is impossible. Also, the F1 drivers who have won were Grosjean and Kovaleinen - hardly the best drivers on the grid.

As for pay drivers, if you think that's a recent phenomenon, you might want to read up on F1 history a little more. Niki Lauda, Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso - familiar names? All started as pay drivers.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Tom Kristiensen a rally driver??? who has won a few recently.........no he isnt. Also if they are labelled as best drivers in the world then they should be good at all aspects of driving??

F1 is all about the technology and aerodynamics etc and not the driver as several have mentioned previously if Vettel is the best driver (or Hamilton now) put him in a Marussia and see if he can win from there being "the best driver" no he wouldnt as its all about the money that goes into technology and not the human part that does the graft.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

rdchawk wrote:How many F1 drivers have won the Race of Champions??? Where the best of the best are put together.

Romain Grosjean won the 2012 event and Michael Schumacher and Sebastian Vettel have won the nations' cup for Germany at the past 6 events.

Anyway, Race of Champions can't really be used to find the best driver in the world as it isn't the top drivers from each country that participate. In 2013 the UK was represented by David Coulthard and Susie Wolff!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Agreed its not the drivers invited that we would want to see but as a guide there have been lots of F1 drivers that have taken part and in the overall event the F1 drivers have rarely won it. Just think that F1 drivers should not be classed solely as the best in the world as they are not.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Wissam24 wrote:As for pay drivers, if you think that's a recent phenomenon, you might want to read up on F1 history a little more. Niki Lauda, Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso - familiar names? All started as pay drivers.
You missed out the other extremely famous one -- Fangio. :biggrin:

Race of Champions.......someone remind me again who it was that won the 'Nations Cup' section 6 years running..... :whistle:

rdchawk wrote:Tom Kristiensen a rally driver??? who has won a few recently.........no he isnt.
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know he's never won the ROC , although he has been runner-up several times.

Ta make a comparison between F1 & football....... Cardiff City have been utter garbage this year , yet their fans still turned out in hoards to watch the games.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:As for pay drivers, if you think that's a recent phenomenon, you might want to read up on F1 history a little more. Niki Lauda, Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso - familiar names? All started as pay drivers.
You missed out the other extremely famous one -- Fangio. :biggrin:

Race of Champions.......someone remind me again who it was that won the 'Nations Cup' section 6 years running..... :whistle:

rdchawk wrote:Tom Kristiensen a rally driver??? who has won a few recently.........no he isnt.
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know he's never won the ROC , although he has been runner-up several times.

Ta make a comparison between F1 & football....... Cardiff City have been utter garbage this year , yet their fans still turned out in hoards to watch the games.

Germany have won the team event but how many times have their teams drivers won the overall event when it is more about the driver than a "team" and my mistake thought Tom had won a few but his several runners up put him as a better driver than the F1 drivers involved.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

None of them take ROC seriously. That's like trying to use friendly football games to predict league winners.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

I do like the way on here that as soon as anyone mentions F1 is flawed its automatically dismissed and any proof is then classed as irrelevant and not a marker and any excuse made to dismiss it.

The once great sport of F1 is in a big decline and I think with Bernie getting these new countries to host a grand prix is more evidence that he's trying to get more fans and money in to the sport

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Is there any kudos attached to winning the ROC? Does it make any sports news headlines?

It's an end of season jolly for drivers to have fun and let fans get up close. Nothing more.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

DanO1978 wrote:50 million decided they'd had enough of this dying formula last season... http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/144365.html
The question is , has that fall continued since the start of this season ??
I know in the case of the UK that one of the biggest causes of people no longer watching F1 was BBC's crass decision to flog-off a large percentage of the coverage rights to Sky ( and their pathetic choice of which races to keep ) and I wonder how much of a difference it would have made if ITV or Chan4 had been given the licence option instead.

As for the ROC , I notice a distinct lack of Rallycross drivers being invited !! :whistle: :biggrin:
아직도 숨어있다

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Brevet Cable wrote:As for the ROC , I notice a distinct lack of Rallycross drivers being invited !! :whistle: :biggrin:

Not sure of any others as I don't know their names, but Tanner Foust was there in 2008.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Think he was only there as a late replacement for the scheduled driver who was injured , wasn't he ( much the same as when James Thompson replaced Jensen Button ) ??
Granted , several of the top rally drivers over the years have either dabbled in rallycross or switched to it later in their careers , but I can't recall any out-and-out rallycross drivers in the ROC.
I'll admit to not being up on the current drivers ( other than Sverre Isachsen & Liam Doran ) , but it would have been interesting to see how the likes of Martin Schanche , Kenneth Hansen or Yorkshire's own Tony Proctor would have fared.
아직도 숨어있다

chill51

Post by chill51 »

Wissam24 wrote:Surely more exhaust noise would necessitate less turbo power? Can't imagine teams choosing to do anything that would hamper car or engine performance simply for the sake of more noise.

Bring back these days proper noise. Now where did i put that time machine ??? :rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YejYI19xGyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4rFgHOgSfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5zH7wBZgaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UELuXvbRmM0
Mike

Uniden UBC 780 XLT
Winradio WR-G31DDC Excalibur
Drake R8A
Diamond D.777
Wellbrook ALA 1530L
AirNav

AntonovAN-2

Post by AntonovAN-2 »

you cannot compare f1 to many other types of racing in a sense of skill and if you think about it there is a lot less technology in formula 1 cars to assist the driver with actual driving than there was 5 years ago we lost traction control and ABS which were the main driving assists and no they couldn't win a marrusia because part of it is the car but if you put them all in the same car with the same setup then put all the world champions as far back as possible one of them would still win the race easily compared to the others on the grid I mean even Massa could win it so could Riccardo, magnussen ETC so it would prove who is best.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

AntonovAN-2 wrote:you cannot compare f1 to many other types of racing in a sense of skill
.......because it'll come some way behind rallycross & rallying. :whistle: :biggrin:
Top speed of around 190 MPH , 0-60 in under 2 seconds -- F1 ?? Nope , Rallycross !! :shock:
아직도 숨어있다

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Yeah? And what's their 190-60 time? Bet it's more than an F1 car.

AntonovAN-2

Post by AntonovAN-2 »

I would love to see a race between a rally cross car and an f1 car to see who would win I already know who it would be

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Given that F1 cars weigh less , use carbon fibre brakes , have slick tyres & race on tarmac , I'd expect them to stop quicker than a rallycross car.

As for what would win between an F1 & Rallycross car , that would depend on the type of circuit......but you may be in for a surprise.
아직도 숨어있다

AntonovAN-2

Post by AntonovAN-2 »

on a normal circuit like Silverstone the f1 car would easily win but on a rally cross track the f1 car wouldn't stand much chance

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Given that F1 cars weigh less , use carbon fibre brakes , have slick tyres & race on tarmac , I'd expect them to stop quicker than a rallycross car.

As for what would win between an F1 & Rallycross car , that would depend on the type of circuit......but you may be in for a surprise.

Well sure, I wasn't having a go! I'm just saying plenty of racing types go that fast! But F1 cars are special.

And yeah, fo course, on anything other than tarmac an F1 car is useless. But nothing can beat it round a tarmac racing circuit - hence my comments about the brakes! It's not necessairly the speed that makes a car faster round a circuit!

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Apart the rapid acceleration and top speeds which might be matched, it's the F1 car's ability to slow down with phenomenal decelerations and to corner at speed that sets it apart from other racing cars.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Brevet Cable wrote:
DanO1978 wrote:50 million decided they'd had enough of this dying formula last season... http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/144365.html
The question is , has that fall continued since the start of this season ??
I know in the case of the UK that one of the biggest causes of people no longer watching F1 was BBC's crass decision to flog-off a large percentage of the coverage rights to Sky ( and their pathetic choice of which races to keep ) and I wonder how much of a difference it would have made if ITV or Chan4 had been given the licence option instead.

As for the ROC , I notice a distinct lack of Rallycross drivers being invited !! :whistle: :biggrin:

or Stock car !! lol

Danny

Post by Danny »

So here's the new exhaust...

:hide:
"Can you believe it? Chelsea will just not let go in the Champions League!"