The Angry Thread...

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
RRconway

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by RRconway »

Rule 27 wrote:What two second "rule"? You mean the rule of thumb that people seem to think is a law?

May I suggest you familiarise yourself with the Highway Code, specifically section 126:

Stopping Distances. Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. You should

leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front so that you can pull up safely if it suddenly slows down or stops. The safe rule is never to get closer than the overall stopping distance (see Typical Stopping Distances diagram, shown below)
allow at least a two-second gap between you and the vehicle in front on roads carrying faster-moving traffic and in tunnels where visibility is reduced. The gap should be at least doubled on wet roads and increased still further on icy roads
remember, large vehicles and motorcycles need a greater distance to stop. If driving a large vehicle in a tunnel, you should allow a four-second gap between you and the vehicle in front.
If you have to stop in a tunnel, leave at least a 5-metre gap between you and the vehicle in front.

From: https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-dr ... 117-to-126

By the way, using the 2 second rule on a 70mph motorway would mean you are 14 (yes, FOURTEEN) car lengths behind the vehicle in front.

14!!!! How unreasonable, is that an issue then?

BTW,
Nice of you to provide the quote that defeats your opening statement, talk about schoolboy error :handbag:
Last edited by RRconway on Fri 16 May 2014, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

andrewman

Post by andrewman »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -over.html

Should have been life for this, total disgrace only giving him 6 years :mad:
2004 bathroom window photographer of the year

my facebook

https://twitter.com/Andrewsteer84 My Twitter

Rule 27

Post by Rule 27 »

RRconway wrote:Nice of you to provide the quote that defeats your opening statement, talk about schoolboy error :handbag:

It didn't defeat any argument, I was just pointing out that it wasn't a rule :) Highway code is a collection of laws and guidance; section 126 is guidance. Of course, that then

Also, to sidetrack for a moment, what is a "road carrying faster moving traffic"? I presume it means dual carriageway A-roads and motorways?

RRconway wrote:Chris calm down.

If we assume, using your words that they were doing 50mph the overall stopping distance is 53m, yes I can google too. There is no way he was 53m behind the Peugeot. So yes he was in the wrong.

As for saying how ,any people expect to find a stationary vehicle in the carriageway, 2 points....

1. You shouldn't drive according to what you expect to happen, you should drive based on what could possibly happen. Most bikers will tell you that, treat everyone as if they are going to do something stupid.
2. If you don't notice a stationary lorry in the carriageway ahead you also should have your licence removed, driving without due care etc.

:pinkwafer:

I'm calm, don't worry :) Why would you be 53m behind the vehicle in front to maintain safe stopping distance; the vehicle in front won't go from 50mph to 0mph in 0m, so your stopping distance should include the fact the vehicle in front is going to continue to travel forward as it slows to a stop. Of course, things change when you come across stationary vehicles (I need to count the time between when the camera vehicle comes to a stop and when it is hit; basing that on a 50mph average will give us the gap between it and the vehicle behind it)

Do you know your stopping distances for every speed, road surface and condition? If so, do you then drive behind the vehicle ahead at the correct distance at all times? I don't. I don't even drive two seconds behind the vehicle ahead, I drive at a comfortable distance - somewhere about where the camera vehicle is in that footage. So does everyone I've ever been in a car with.

Of course I take the point that if you follow one bit of the Highway Code to the letter, you should probably follow it all! :up:

Anyway, back to what angers us...the Highway Code and the fact it's so vague!

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

I wouldn't say the Highway Code was vague Chris, quite the opposite it is very factual with distances etc.
Unfortunately humans generally struggle to estimate distances hence the 2 second rule. It is far easier to count to 2 seconds, we've all heard the rhymes 1,1000 2,2000 or 1elephant, 2elephant which lake it easy. The beauty of the 2 second rule....or guideline.... Is that it works at whatever speed, crawling in traffic or on the motorway.

No I don't know my stopping distances, I don't need to, for example I wouldn't travel as close to the car in front as that lorry in the video wS, apart from anything else it makes for a stressful drive, you need to be far more vigilant at those reduced distances and keep jumping on and off the brake, which apart from anything else uses more fuel. I know it's boring to you youngsters but us 40somethings think about these things :wink:

To answer your question about stopping suddenly yes it does happen. For example a friend once saw a car hit a manhole in which the cover was flipped up by the preceding lorry, he did stop on the spot, and on country roads you never know what is around the corner so it can and does happen.
You can always tell someone who is travelling too close by the continued on off of their brake lights, best to stay well away from them and let them enjoy their own accident!!!!
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

neilos

Post by neilos »

:lmao: what a :loser: of a Peugeot driver. Reminds me though to think again about getting an in car camera.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Asking for help/info on forums, and getting "google is your friend", or other similar comments. Google doesn't know everything, and it can be a damn site quicker just asking on a forum, where someone is likely to know.
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

KyleG

Post by KyleG »

UKIP.

:wall: :wall: :wall:
Canon EOS 50D/1100D

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

toom317 wrote:Asking for help/info on forums, and getting "google is your friend", or other similar comments. Google doesn't know everything, and it can be a damn site quicker just asking on a forum, where someone is likely to know.
On a similar theme....those who , when someone asks a question , always reply along the lines of "this forum has a search facility - use it !" rather than just posting links to the relevant topics.

And before anyone points it out , YES , I did just that myself a couple of months ago with regards someone asking about radio scanners ( think it was along the lines of "if you do a quick search in this section you'll find a couple of recent topics discussing this" )......shouldn't have done it , I know , but it was due to the fact that at least 2 of the discussion topics were on the first page of that section.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Not taking sun tan lotion to Duxford yesterday :mad:
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Posts like the one above after going to Duxford on Saturday instead of Sunday.

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Posts like the two above when I couldn't get at all 'cos of work :sad:
HTAFC

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

People who don't read up about the history of markings on an aircraft, and then complain that the markings are making his pictures untidy ?
Those aren't pillows!!!!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

The absolute complete twonk of a driver in his ford focus on Saturday - torrential rain and traffic moving at about 40mph on the M1 due to distinct lack of visibility and this wasack is driving with NO lights on at all!!! the amount of cars that almost hit him!! and the worse thing was he had little kids in the car too!
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

AndyXH558 wrote:People who don't read up about the history of markings on an aircraft, and then complain that the markings are making his pictures untidy ?

Lol, topical :smile:
HTAFC

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Locked topics !! :mad: just when you getting to an answer to something thats been in the back of your mind for years !!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

At least it wasn't deleted , so your question's still there !! :wink: :lol:
To be honest , though , I'd have thought it would be more likely to be answered if it was posted on the Flypast Forum.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

tommo999

Post by tommo999 »

Parking marshalls. Bad experiences at both Duxford and North Weald.

People who live in, and think we all live in, cloud cuckoo land.

Rampvan

Post by Rampvan »

Brevet Cable wrote:At least it wasn't deleted , so your question's still there !! :wink: :lol:
To be honest , though , I'd have thought it would be more likely to be answered if it was posted on the Flypast Forum.

this is true....but the answer was touched on in the second last post of the locked thread...so the answer is out there somewhere :smile: plus Im not on the Flypast Forum !!

FTS

Post by FTS »

As a former victim of domestic violence, with a baby in the house, who had no support and had to fight a massively biased legal and social care system, this social experiment video makes me very angry.
http://trendinghot.net/domestic-violenc ... nderstand/
http://stevenharrisongreen.wixsite.com/shgp
facebook.com/stevenharrisongreenphotography
instagram.com/shgphotography86/

Bittie

Post by Bittie »

FTS wrote:As a former victim of domestic violence, with a baby in the house, who had no support and had to fight a massively biased legal and social care system, this social experiment video makes me very angry.
http://trendinghot.net/domestic-violenc ... nderstand/

In what way does it make you angry, can I ask?

vandal

Post by vandal »

Sky 1HD is starting to annoy me now.

Why are old episodes of the Simpsons, among other tv shows not filling my tv screen? They used to before HD came along.
And if it's because they were not originally recorded in HD, then why show them on an HD channel?

KyleG

Post by KyleG »

vandal wrote:Sky 1HD is starting to annoy me now.

Why are old episodes of the Simpsons, among other tv shows not filling my tv screen? They used to before HD came along.
And if it's because they were not originally recorded in HD, then why show them on an HD channel?

Because the channel is an exact mirror of the non-HD channel, but broadcast in HD. I find it annoying as well, but I just to switch to the non-HD channel when one of those shows is on :smile:
Canon EOS 50D/1100D

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

Lazy so called work colleagues :mad:
Card carrying aviation addict!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

stratocaster wrote:Lazy so called work colleagues :mad:

Or those that every Friday are "working from home"
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

stratocaster

Post by stratocaster »

rdchawk wrote:
stratocaster wrote:Lazy so called work colleagues :mad:

Or those that every Friday are "working from home"

Ohh,this one of ours pulls sickies right left and centre,he's in his 4th week off sick just now with a potential 5th en route!! :shock: then we reckon he'll come back to work his 3 day week the week after next and then he's booked on holiday......nice work if you can get it! :mad:
Card carrying aviation addict!