The Angry Thread...

Chat about anything not specifically aviation related
vandal

Re: The Angry Thread...

Post by vandal »

Ken Shabby wrote:
Sat 10 Oct 2020, 10:53 am
If the writer really wanted to highlight issues of race in the American space programme, why not do something about Ed Dwight, which is a story worth telling.
Hidden Figures is worth a watch, for those who have not seen it. Covered the subject pretty well.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

I noticed this morning that both of our cars had bits of paper all over them. When I went to have a look I found a few bits of black plastic on the car and on the drive. They smelled of fireworks. So basically, not satisfied with polluting the world with plastic in the water, we now send it into the air to disintegrate and shower the place with it.

I like a good fireworks display as much as anybody but only an organized professional show, not the random, sporadic bangs for the days and weeks around this time of year.

It's time fireworks sale to the general public was banned. :rage:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

DerekF wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 9:09 am
I noticed this morning that both of our cars had bits of paper all over them. When I went to have a look I found a few bits of black plastic on the car and on the drive. They smelled of fireworks. So basically, not satisfied with polluting the world with plastic in the water, we now send it into the air to disintegrate and shower the place with it.

I like a good fireworks display as much as anybody but only an organized professional show, not the random, sporadic bangs for the days and weeks around this time of year.

Without the public there would be none this year and I like them - also we and more particularly the Government need to be reminded powerfully what they signify: the last man to walk into the House of Commons with integrity.

Plus I like to let a few off on my birthday, which the local council seems reluctant to celebrate formally for some reason.

vandal

Post by vandal »

I didn't even realise it was 'Guy Fawkes Day' yesterday, it was so quiet.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 1:25 pm
DerekF wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 9:09 am

Without the public there would be none this year and I like them - also we and more particularly the Government need to be reminded powerfully what they signify: the last man to walk into the House of Commons with integrity.

Plus I like to let a few off on my birthday, which the local council seems reluctant to celebrate formally for some reason.
Bonfire night is a celebration that a terrorist plot to destroy parliament failed, not to celebrate Guy Fawkes.
Watching pets cowering in corners last night would suggest that setting off explosives in your own garden has had its day.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

we have this thread every year and every year I'm reminded of a time when kids came together to build a guy, stick it outside the newsagents "penny for the guy, mister" (kind of Dickensian - please can I have some money to by explosives - superb), then go off and get their bigger brother to buy some bangers or even an "Air Bomb". A tradition that, in some way, provided a social event and some very basic teaching in our Parliamentary history. Somehow (were they stronger then?) pets managed to survive this (did they require counselling afterwards?) and only recently, the needs of poodles and siamese to have a stress free evening has overridden the fun (and risk) of a proper, old fasioned Bonfires night.

To be replaced by Trick or Treat...OK, enough's enough, rose coloured specs coming off.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Its about time they stopped selling fireworks in shops - and organised events limited to just visual shows with no banging fireworks, we have spent the last Four years going through hell with our little dog in pieces due to all the bangs from fireworks.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Sat 07 Nov 2020, 11:17 pm
Its about time they stopped selling fireworks in shops - and organised events limited to just visual shows with no banging fireworks, we have spent the last Four years going through hell with our little dog in pieces due to all the bangs from fireworks.
standard advice is to keep pets indoors out of sight and sound of fireworks

The only times I've ever bought fireworks were about 50 years ago (Standard pathetic selection box) and maybe a few times with my kids 20 years ago. I live near Lewes (biggest bonfire Nov 5th celebration in the world, usually always go but all sensibly cancelled this year) I missed it a lot, it's actually a bigger family reunion than Christmas for many down here.

Spain has more firework displays and far fewer accidents than the UK cos they don't allow the public to buy them

Paulish

Post by Paulish »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Sat 07 Nov 2020, 11:17 pm
In our area we have the added problem of seemingly random setting off of fireworks at this general time of year from some time in late October to the middle of November and even in broad daylight on occasion.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I’m a bit on the fence about fireworks. I loved them as a kid, although my memories of November 5th were always being pretty underwhelmed, sat there In the damp with dad trying to light a fuse in the drizzle.

But having pets on bonfire night really does change you. Luckily our little village Facebook group normally gives everyone a warning so people can keep pets in or whatever, but plenty of people just go for it anyway. Our cats hate them.

I understand the enjoyment from fireworks, but really they serve little other purpose. The very brief “wow” from a whizz pop bang doesn’t seem, to me, to outweigh the impacts on pets, the ability for some knobheads to wake everyone up at 2.00 in the morning (like last night) or the significant risk To safety - I don’t know if it’s a generational thing, but our school used to put up loads of poster of people with mangled/burned faces from some sort of organisation that warns about not playing with fireworks.

I think keep it to professional events only. They’re actually impressive, regulated, done properly by licensed professionals, and well-advertised so that people know when to keep pets in.

Other than nostalgia, I don’t really understand why private individuals should be able to buy fireworks.

Buuuut I’m not going to care too much if the status quo continues.

vandal

Post by vandal »

Fireworks have changed over the years too - you used to get a little box with assorted fountains & rockets, maybe even a catherine wheel. Fountain burned out in about 15 seconds, rocket screamed then ended with a little pop.

Nowadays you can buy a single 'cake' that can contain 50, maybe 60+ projectiles, those things are just a barrage of noise, & even at that, the people that buy them - do they do so for the pretty colours in the sky or the healthy explosions? With the afore mentioned fountains, you'd maybe hear a little hiss & some crackling through the window if your neighbour was using them - the cakes can be heard streets away.

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 08 Nov 2020, 9:39 am
I’m a bit on the fence about fireworks.
I guess that probably makes you a Catherine wheel then....

We have a dog that camps out in our downstairs bathroom every night for about a week this time of year.

By not having home displays you do also remove one of the rites of passage for every man when the burning taper is passed from father to son and he is the one at the end of the garden trying desperately to read out the name of whichever optical delight is about to transfix the family like the Magi without accidentally setting light to it prematurely.

My first go I lit aforementioned Catherine wheel forgetting the fence also had a plastic trellis stuck to it. Hey presto, vertical bonfire! My dad never achieved that.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

In Corby the council put on a (free) display by the boating lake; thousands gather for the 20 minute show, have a thoroughly enjoyable family time and disperse along the main road like one of the old football crowds. Covid put paid to that this year and the move to a unitary county council (Thanks to Northamptonshire totally screwing up) might mean it won't return. (That's the angry thread bit)

Switzerland on the 1st August is fun; huge displays, lots of drink, fondue and raclette and baby grenades being thrown everywhere. I was in Interlaken one year and the displays were all around the mountains - great.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

With our dog we have to cover her on the sofa next to us - close all the curtains and even have the tv turned up real loud, and she can still hear them, she jumps down tries to find a safe place shaking and cowering and she takes hours to come down from being like that till she hears another bang then it starts all over again - its so heart renching to se her suffer like this.

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Mon 09 Nov 2020, 4:48 am
With our dog we have to cover her on the sofa next to us - close all the curtains and even have the tv turned up real loud, and she can still hear them, she jumps down tries to find a safe place shaking and cowering and she takes hours to come down from being like that till she hears another bang then it starts all over again - its so heart renching to se her suffer like this.
My cats(now long deceased)were the same until we got a mild sedative from the vet,is that not an option for you?

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

nighthawk999 wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 9:17 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
My cats(now long deceased)were the same until we got a mild sedative from the vet,is that not an option for you?
For the dog, or him? :slight_smile:

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

our two bunnies legged it into their hutch every Thursday at 20.00 during Clap for Carers, even as the first claps were heard.

There have been fewer bangs from fireworks this year but they seemed unfazed

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 9:30 pm
nighthawk999 wrote:
Tue 10 Nov 2020, 9:17 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
For the dog, or him? :slight_smile:
No - the dead chicken in the freezer :rolling_eyes:

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

Black Friday!!

What is all that about? an extra day off after Thanksgiving that the US went shopping on. Why is it relevant now? nobody's going to the shops as they are shut and err it's not a holiday today or tomorrow in the UK

Worst of all, Black Friday broadband, like they've had all these deals sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting until tomorrow??!!!

I won't be buying anything either instore on online tomorrow

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Zoom wrote:
Thu 26 Nov 2020, 6:26 pm
Black Friday!!

What is all that about? an extra day off after Thanksgiving that the US went shopping on. Why is it relevant now? nobody's going to the shops as they are shut and err it's not a holiday today or tomorrow in the UK

Worst of all, Black Friday broadband, like they've had all these deals sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting until tomorrow??!!!

I won't be buying anything either instore on online tomorrow
"Black Friday" is a con, I used to work in retail an the trick is to purchase at retail sell it first with a discount then slowly increse the price then offer a "Special" for "Black Friday" that is not much lower than your original reduced price, that way the retailer still makes a good profit.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

For Xmas, I like nothing more than dipping into a big tin of Equality Street!

https://metro.co.uk/2020/12/09/anger-ov ... -13724945/
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”